Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 06:27 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,207 times

Advertisements

What I learned from the storm:

a) After the storm hits, you are on your own.

b) Most people do not prepare and are ill equipped to handle a major disaster. Some lady was complaining on the news that she her bady formula useless because she didn't have clean water to add to it. Lady, why do you think they tell you to stock up on bottled water before a hurricane?

c) Most people assume that the Red Cross and FEMA will swoop in and rescue them, so no need to worry.

d) People unaccustomed to real life/death situations are irked by even the most minor inconvenience. One woman was practically in tears over the fact that she couldn't use her cell phone. Well, duh?

e) In neighborhoods surrounding the projects, police presence is practically non-existent and things can take a turn for the worst rather quickly. Example: defecation in the hallways.

What would have happen if god forbid a Category 3 or 4 multistate storm hit NYC?

In New York City, after you fill out the three-page application that, among other things, asks you to list your employment and residences over the past five years, turn in two affidavits, get someone to promise in writing to take charge of you weapons if you die or are incapacitated and pay $431.50 in fees, the police may issue a permit to keep a gun in your house or business, or even to carry it. Or they may not.

When the Supreme Court in its 2008 Heller ruling for the first time interpreted the Second Amendment to protect an individual right to bear arms in a case that shot down part of Washington, D.C.'s gun ban, and two years ruled in the McDonald case (which was about Chicago's gun rules) that the Heller decision applied to the states as well, it seemed like just a matter of time before New York State's gun laws faced a serious test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 06:31 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post

e) In neighborhoods surrounding the projects, police presence is practically non-existent and things can take a turn for the worst rather quickly. Example: defecation in the hallways.

Why are you so obsessed with this "defecation in the hallways" crap(LOL) ? Seems like all of your tin foil hatted lunatic fringe threads mention this. Weird.Very weird.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:45 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
*defecates in thread........leaves*

Old 11-03-2012, 06:46 PM

106,561 posts, read 108,713,667 times
We have discussed the permit process many times here. Its rare someone with a clean record is denied a premise permit.

In fact i have been involved with the shooting sports for over 20 years.

The few folks i knew who were denied had blemished records. They told those around them they were denied for no reason but it wasnt true.

The chicago case was important because they had no permit process in place.

Nyc has a permit system. We may not like it but we have a system so the chicago case does not apply.

You can argue its an expensive process and favors only those who could afford it and you would be right.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:08 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
In the case of a disaster so severe that you'd need to use a gun to defend yourself, it's probably a better idea to leave the city entirely.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:11 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,206 times
Quote:

b) Most people do not prepare and are ill equipped to handle a major disaster. Some lady was complaining on the news that she her bady formula useless because she didn't have clean water to add to it. Lady, why do you think they tell you to stock up on bottled water before a hurricane?

c) Most people assume that the Red Cross and FEMA will swoop in and rescue them, so no need to worry.

d) People unaccustomed to real life/death situations are irked by even the most minor inconvenience. One woman was practically in tears over the fact that she couldn't use her cell phone. Well, duh?

What would have happen if god forbid a Category 3 or 4 multistate storm hit NYC?

In New York City, after you fill out the three-page application that, among other things, asks you to list your employment and residences over the past five years, turn in two affidavits, get someone to promise in writing to take charge of you weapons if you die or are incapacitated and pay $431.50 in fees, the police may issue a permit to keep a gun in your house or business, or even to carry it. Or they may not.

When the Supreme Court in its 2008 Heller ruling for the first time interpreted the Second Amendment to protect an individual right to bear arms in a case that shot down part of Washington, D.C.'s gun ban, and two years ruled in the McDonald case (which was about Chicago's gun rules) that the Heller decision applied to the states as well, it seemed like just a matter of time before New York State's gun laws faced a serious test.
This is literally the most insane response possible to what has happened. Congratulations.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:16 PM

734 posts, read 932,612 times
Quote:

Do you live in the projects or near the projects?

If you want to live in a safer community, why not work on improving your skill set so that you can secure higher pay, and better housing. Also, if you're petrified about crime, NYC (or any city for that matter) is not the place for you.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:37 PM

19,026 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I kind if like the rules the way they are. Very few people can defend themselves with firearms, unlike me. I know that for the most part, I'll never face a firearm threat.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:56 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Are you going to shoot people who poop in hallways?

Old 11-03-2012, 07:59 PM

681 posts, read 1,671,181 times
In NYC, as long as democrats and liberals control political office it will be a long uphill battle before gun control laws are relaxed. The majority of New Yorkers are against individual gun ownership and conceal carry and would rather leave it up to the police for protection.

You're probably better off moving to CT, PA, VT, NH, ME where you can easily purchase a pistol and conceal carry with the right permits which are not too hard too obtain. Its funny though, that with my out of state carry permits I can legally carry and conceal a handgun on my person in those those states I mentioned above and like 26 other states, but in my home state (NY) the most I can get is a premise permit?

People don't get me wrong, I am some wanna be tough guy who's out looking for a fight or a shootout. However, I like to go target shooting for recreation on a regular basis and have taken handgun self defense courses to increase my knowledge and confidence is using a firearm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City