Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 05:42 PM

676 posts, read 1,260,886 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for all of the feedback. I was doing a cost/benefits analysis on getting a gun. It's over $400 plus for the application, plus the weapon itself, initial training, trainining refreshment and upkeep. Given my financial resources, I think that's probably better spent on replacing the windows and more traditional self-defense courses.

I'm a woman and i live alone. Any tips for defending myself/others/basic survival supplies if there's a situation where law & order is pushed to the limit and/or breaks down? At one point, I thought I might have to be responsible for my friend's 80+ year old parents (though her dad's former law enforcement and can probably still kick a**) and a small dog. And while my friend and i were refilling medication for her parents, heard a woman in front of us talk about how her husband caught someone trying to siphon their gas in their driveway. I know gas may not be worth dying over, but what about food, other provisions if things don't get up and running as soon as they did with this storm? I noticed a really ugly mood/vibe turn towards the end of the week, which scared me. I dealt with my 9/11 fears by getting CPR/First Aid certified and updating the preparednes my dad raised us with (former Navy/city worker) What can I do for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 05:46 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,193,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
Thanks so much for all of the feedback. I was doing a cost/benefits analysis on getting a gun. It's over $400 plus for the application, plus the weapon itself, initial training, trainining refreshment and upkeep. Given my financial resources, I think that's probably better spent on replacing the windows and more traditional self-defense courses.

I'm a woman and i live alone. Any tips for defending myself/others/basic survival supplies if there's a situation where law & order is pushed to the limit and/or breaks down?
Yes. At that point, you should have had a gun. If you think that's at all likely, go through the effort now. Traditional (unarmed) self defense doesn't mean crap if the other guy is a lot stronger or has a weapon.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:52 PM

106,533 posts, read 108,647,625 times
i agree. martial arts are a great sport when used within the rules of the game. its not so hot against bigger ,stronger ,or armed attackers unless you live and breath it to the point that not only are you good but to the point you can just react without thinking.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:01 PM

458 posts, read 615,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I spent two weeks down there during Katrina. You know of anyone returning the favor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Besides all the utility crews and trucks we've sent up your way ?

Actually, you guys are doers who take care of business and don't need a bunch of us there making it worse. N.O. / Katrina people were 3rd world welfare people...
Wow! I take offense at that. I wouldn't characterize my fellow New Orleanians as "3rd world welfare people" by any stretch - I've been all over the world and New Orleanians are still the best people I've lived among. However, I'm going to avoid getting into a stupid argument over your characterizations.

The reason NY is doing better than NOLA post-storm is because Tropical Storm Sandy was peanuts compared to Category 5 Hurricane Katrina. The idea of comparing the two is utterly laughable. As for Airborneguys question, NOLA sent many resources to Sandy-affected areas, most interestingly (to me, at least) in the form of pumps and crews for clearing out the subway system.

Last edited by Jester2138; 11-08-2012 at 06:10 PM..

Old 11-08-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
Wow! I take offense at that. I wouldn't characterize my fellow New Orleanians as "3rd world welfare people" by any stretch - I've been all over the world and New Orleanians are still the best people I've lived among. However, I'm going to avoid getting into a stupid argument over your characterizations.

The reason NY is doing better than NOLA post-storm is because Tropical Storm Sandy was peanuts compared to Category 5 Hurricane Katrina. The idea of comparing the two is utterly laughable. As for Airborneguys question, NOLA sent many resources to Sandy-affected areas, most interestingly (to me, at least) in the form of pumps and crews for clearing out the subway system.
NOLA also collected money to replace fire trucks NYC lost during 9/11. Some of which went down to help after Katrina. Yous/Y'all (pick your favorite) are good people in my book. Went down there for a work conference and had a great time, ate some delicious food. Drank a bit too much, but hey i wasn't driving. Where else can you get live music, a bar and a laundromat all in one

And as a coffee lover, loved Cafe du Monde. First day I actually managed to make it into work post-Sandy by breakfast time went to a Southern bakery here which serves Cafe du Monde.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:45 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,193,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
In the interests of accuracy: Category 1 Hurricane Sandy (or extratropical/post-tropical storm Sandy with hurricane-force winds, which is an interesting meterological distinction but irrelevant to damage) versus Category 4 Hurricane Katrina.

Katrina pressure at landfall was 920mb, Sandy was 946mb. Katrina's storm surge was over 27 feet (over 20 in New Orleans itself). Sandy was no slouch at almost 14 feet in Manhattan (though some of that is because it hit at high tide)

Old 11-11-2012, 10:55 PM

458 posts, read 615,708 times
What matters is storm surge most, then wind.

Sandy's storm surge maxed at 13 feet in the funnel of New York Harbor (not 14) and was far less in all other locations. Katrina's was 27 feet across several states. Economically, Katrina's damage was over $150 billion. Sandy is about $50 billion. Winds in Sandy maxed at 110mph. Katrina's maxed at 175mph (gusts over 200 were recorded). Something like 100 people died during Sandy. 2,000 died during Katrina. Sandy's floods lasted a few hours to a day. New Orleans was flooded for a month.

Finally, NOLA suffered from the catastrophic failure of the federally-built levee system, which was designed for such storms but well-documented criminal incompetence (only uncovered after the fact, of course) at the Army Corps of Engineers resulted in its total failure. New Orleanians understandably feel a great animosity towards the Army Corps now. Such levees are not difficult to build, and the system was rebuilt after Katrina and has performed admirably in every storm since (most notably Isaac). New Orleanians don't call Katrina a "natural disaster," but a man-made disaster. Nationally, Katrina is known as the worst natural disaster and the worst engineering disaster in the history of the United States.

Which is why, when people wonder why NY, NJ, etc. are doing better than NOLA post-storm, I must laugh. And then feel sad because people can be so ignorant.

Last edited by Jester2138; 11-11-2012 at 11:09 PM..

Old 11-12-2012, 05:17 AM

409 posts, read 497,426 times
Here is a good reddit post regarding NYC Firearm laws.

A guide on how to own a firearm in NYC. Part 1 : guns

There are 4 parts, the 1st two deal with long arms, the last two deal with handguns. According to him, your actual chances of getting a firearm is pretty good if you handle your application right. So who knows.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:08 AM

Thanks

Old 11-13-2012, 12:06 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,228,335 times
If the OP is accurate it doesn't sound like what you need to do to get a gun permit is that bad. I thought it was worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City