Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 07:30 PM

86 posts, read 247,326 times

Advertisements

Since Ive moved to NYC I buy so much online its unreal....paper towels, cleaning supplies, toilet paper, shampoo, soap, deoderant, kitty litter, cat food, etc. Basic every days items are hard to find or expensive or just plain awkward to lug to my apt (ex: heavy boxes of kitty litter). I dont deal with it anymore, I just order online and its delivered to my door a few days later. My favorite is walmart cause I usually get free shipping and my second favorite is amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 07:41 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
i need these bad boys.

what about getting a zip car for costco? i guess that would work. i wonder if it would be cheaper than a taxi.
Live long and prosper YoungTraveler. These gloves is like $2-3 from Kmart.
Attached Thumbnails
dude, where do I even go to buy the stuff I need?-vulcan-salute.jpg  

Old 11-04-2012, 07:45 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
i need these bad boys.

what about getting a zip car for costco? i guess that would work. i wonder if it would be cheaper than a taxi.

My bad boys like this are hot pink over purple gloves and I got them at Walgreens for about $2.00 a few years ago on sale.
You can get dang near anything online and delivered or walk outside and look for a taxi, a bus or any other form of transportation.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:46 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,316 times
I admit I don't totally understand this problem. Supermarkets and drug stores have most of this stuff. For things like gloves, there are quite a few army/navy type stores, or several malls with all the major department stores and chain stores. It's really easy to buy pretty much anything you need here. Random discount stores are useful too.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:17 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
There's also a Target in Flushing off the 7 train, if the N-7 train is easier for you than the R.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:20 PM

484 posts, read 854,746 times
Chillax DUDE......DUDE Shop on Line DUDE and you don't have to leave your home DUDE its easy DUDE and they will deliver rite to you DUDE some have free Shipping DUDE like Amazon.com DUDE

Old 11-04-2012, 08:35 PM

55 posts, read 127,119 times
Quote:
Back in suburb land, Walmart/Meijer/Costco/Best Buy.

I don't even know where to go to get quality products here.

There's a Costco 1 mile from where I am but how I am supposed to shop there without a car?

Bodegas are garbage. No thanks.

For example:
- I need to buy lots of alcohol free deodorants.
- I need to buy winter gloves that have no cover on the fingers.
- Quality shampoos.

Where can I find these products?
Once upon a time, this process of discovery was called "getting to know the city". Going to neighborhood stores and finding a system that works with the circumstances. It was considered a point of pride to not patronize box stores at all. This was back when transplants, like me, expected to meet the city on its own terms, instead of trying to duplicate a suburban lifestyle.

The fingerless gloves, the purpose of which is smartphone related I'm guessing, can be found at most department stores. If you need more affordable options, Century 21, Dee & Dee's or a vintage shop.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:24 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerage View Post
Chillax DUDE......DUDE Shop on Line DUDE and you don't have to leave your home DUDE its easy DUDE and they will deliver rite to you DUDE some have free Shipping DUDE like Amazon.com DUDE
My 20-something son often called me, his mother, "DUDE." I think I finally broke him of the habit by saying, "I'm not "Dude," I'm your mother" about 25 million times.

But there was something endearing about it. I kind of miss it.

I think they don't really mean "dude." It's more of a word for, "Hey..."

Old 11-04-2012, 10:20 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
Geez talk about an easy target for stickup kids, seriously lol.

Amazon.com, fingerless gloves many places have them.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:29 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel420 View Post
Since Ive moved to NYC I buy so much online its unreal....paper towels, cleaning supplies, toilet paper, shampoo, soap, deoderant, kitty litter, cat food, etc. Basic every days items are hard to find or expensive or just plain awkward to lug to my apt (ex: heavy boxes of kitty litter). I dont deal with it anymore, I just order online and its delivered to my door a few days later. My favorite is walmart cause I usually get free shipping and my second favorite is amazon.
WALMART DELIVERS?!

was totally not aware. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City