Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 07:12 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
For some reason my parents would on occasion make oxtail. Let's face it people..if this were 300 years ago with famines and such, I can understand not letting any piece of an animal go to waste, like tongue, ears, feet, internal organs, brains, eyeballs, and in this case, oxtail. We do not live in that world anymore (at least not the vast majority of us).

You don't need to eat pig hooves anymore people...nor do you need to eat oxtails. Leave it, along with chicken feet, to china and other such unedibles to other 3rd world countries who really need it.

Needless to say I am not a fan..if you need to dunk it in soy sauce, jalapenos, cook it for 10 hours, marinate for 2 days, just to make something reasonably edible...you probably should not eat it!
But it tastes good, and recipes do exist that dont require that much prep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 07:57 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
For some reason my parents would on occasion make oxtail. Let's face it people..if this were 300 years ago with famines and such, I can understand not letting any piece of an animal go to waste, like tongue, ears, feet, internal organs, brains, eyeballs, and in this case, oxtail. We do not live in that world anymore (at least not the vast majority of us).

You don't need to eat pig hooves anymore people...nor do you need to eat oxtails. Leave it, along with chicken feet, to china and other such unedibles to other 3rd world countries who really need it.

Needless to say I am not a fan..if you need to dunk it in soy sauce, jalapenos, cook it for 10 hours, marinate for 2 days, just to make something reasonably edible...you probably should not eat it!
Lol, you sound like a snob. Marinating something a day or two before is pretty common. But Rabo (oxtail) is not that labor intensive. It's actually pretty yummy and tender when cooked properly. I think your thinking more of mondongo (tripe) which you have to cook for hours and hours, I like that too but btw.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:49 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,827,739 times
Oxtail is my favorite food.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:39 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,674 times
Quote:

And you should probably mind your own goddamn business. People like what they like. We understand that your daddy bloomberg most likely would not approve either. But believe it or not, people are allowed to make choices for themselves in this world. Wild notion right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Lol, you sound like a snob.
Dude calls the South Bronx, "The Southern Bronx".

I'll just leave you with that...

Old 11-18-2012, 04:46 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,451 times
Quote:

Good, all the more for me. Oxtail is my favorite part of the animal when cooked right in the Jamaican style. You've got to carmelize sugar in the bottom of the pot and pressure cook it with the right seasonings...scotch bonnet pepper, soy sauce, fresh thyme, a little bit of ginger, onions, gyarlic...

Old 11-18-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
And you should probably mind your own goddamn business. People like what they like. We understand that your daddy bloomberg most likely would not approve either. But believe it or not, people are allowed to make choices for themselves in this world. Wild notion right?

Dude calls the South Bronx, "The Southern Bronx".

I'll just leave you with that...
I wish I could Rep u more.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:14 PM

I want some Tamarind Balls now.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:47 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
This is an opinion site silly...if everyone "minded their own business and did not comment" city-data would not exist! I am happy for all the people who eat oxtail, suck on chicken feet, eat cow brains, tongue, pig ears, and goat anus..I hope you all enjoy it.

My point was simply that most of those "delicacies" existed because back then you would never waste any part of an animal..makes sense when food was few and far between. But today you don't need to eat it...but if you do like it..have at it. I wonder if Haitians had the choice between their dirt cookies (yes they make cookies from dirt for obvious reasons) or chicken breast, which would they pick? They are accustomed to eating those cookies, and they would probably continue eating them even if chicken breast were readily available....it's a similar concept.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:04 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
lol I can't believe you compared eating dirt to oxtails. You must have really hated it growing up...

The funny thing about all this is that the actual food snobs like Andrew Zimmern and Anthony Bourdain love tripe, oxtail, brains, etc.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Andrew Zimmerman and Anthony Bourdain are the opposite of food snobs..if it is gross they will love it...it makes for good TV = $$$. As for me specifically, it isn't so much that I hated oxtails (which I did), it's all of those types of food. The pig feet floating in the strange embalming fluid on the counter at the bodega...like really? Chicken feet are the largest export from the US to China...I say good riddance!

If you like oxtails I say eat them to your hearts content. It isn't for me, or most of the "delicacies" found in many countries. That doesn't make me a snob as I try all types of food, but with the plethora of food here, do I really need to eat goat testicles? The answer is no, no matter how "delicious" you and others may find it. Other countries/populations don't have the luxury of saying 'no' to any food however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City