Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 09:55 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,903,909 times

Advertisements

FAQ!!!!

This has been asked at least 4 times this year alone.
For FAQ's sake, can you use the search box?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 09:56 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
what's the big deal?

Old 11-09-2012, 02:20 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,199,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I just never understood what an accent is, because to be an accent there has to be some widely recognized version of "normal" speech--something that the accent is a variant on. But what is that "normal" in the U.S.? Has hanyone ever codified it or made it official in any way, like the BBC broadcasters mentioned above?

If not, you can listen to Elliot Spitzer, Rosie Perez, Charlie Rangel, and Joe Torre, and who's to say that one is "correct" English (New York or otherwise) and one is speaking with an accent?
There's no official American accent the way there's an official British one, but linguists have described a "Standard American English" or "General American" (I think the latter term was invented as a PC way to avoid the value judgement inherent in "standard") accent.

General American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-10-2012, 07:25 AM

88,504 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I really have no discernible accent. There used to be a teeny bit of Pennsylvania Dutch (uplift on the last syllable) but I managed to dumpp that during college. I've been the last 40 years in Manhattan and Jersey City and never picked up any of those accents which can be quite weid: adults tend not to pick up new accents.)

Nobody can tell where I'm from by my speech.

A language teacher I had said that most area accents can be detected by saying the three words: merry, Mary and marry. He said VERY few people say all three distinctively different.
I did, but only because of a SLIGHT accidental cheat. The year before a friend detected that I was saying he words fairy and ferry the same (only becasue I needed a ferry to get out of Chester PA) so I stamped out the bad habit. And of course that extended to merry and Mary. My teacher though I was faking becasue I was the only one in Eastern PA who prounced the two differently.

A couple of students actually pronounced the three words IDENTICALLY and could not recognize they were doing it. I had a freshman roommate from Northern new Jersey who pronounced LORE and LAW exaclty the same. and he denied it saying over and over: "One is pronounced lore and the other is pronounced lore." I think I made him do it 500 times, I got such a kick out of it.
I have a friend who grew up in Inwood (northern Manhattan). She loved to watch Law and Order. One day her young son watched with her, and he wanted to know which woman on the show was the one named Lauren Auder.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:27 AM

88,504 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
This.

My husband is not originally from the US though he has lived in NYC for over 20 years.

At times, he'll get asked where his accent is from. His typical response is one of "shock" where he goes "I have an accent???"

(Like Men in Tights - "I have a mole??")
That's interesting. When I was a teenager, I had a friend whose mother was from Germany. I once said that I loved her mother's accent. She said, "My mother has an accent?" On the other hand, I have a friend with a Cuban mother, and when she's repeating something her mother said, she says it in her mom's Cuban accent and it's hilarious.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
My father was born Austria just outside Vienna but enigrrated when he was 10, and he got into lots of fights during WW2 because of his "accent." I was amazed to hear about this much later because I never thought he had an accent.
But strangely every now and then I will meet a man who sounds a slight bit like my father, and lo and behold, they are always of Austrian ancestry.

I guess I was too close to it to hear it in my father and it was extremely subtle.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:10 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,200 times
i was born in and grew up in south brooklyn for my entire childhood (until 18) and I don't have an accent

most people I grew up with do

basically going to high school in manhattan and then moving to cali at 18 for four years got rid of it

once in a while it still comes out, usually when talking to other ny'ers while angry/excited/etc

personally i'm glad. prefer not to sound like an extra from goodfellas

plenty of manhattanites avoid it entirely

Old 11-13-2012, 07:49 AM

917 posts, read 2,004,429 times
Me and my SO are native NY'ers but when we went to Vegas we were told we don't have a NY accent.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:56 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
For anyone who is interested, the US is a linguistically rich place!
American English Dialects
Look at all the accents from Illinois all the way up to New England. However, I think that due to New York's status as an international city and cultural center of the US, people from all these linguistic backgrounds move there, making it more likely that the traditional NY accent will become less prevalent as the years go on, though it certainly won't vanish completely.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:57 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,041,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
have you ever met any native New Yorkers that dont really have the NYC accent?

just a neutral accent like California or west coast?
Of course. This isn't the south where everyone has an accent. Some people here speak very neutral. I would say a good amount. Especially in my school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: