Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:26 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,110,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ Ok then, but I didn't gather that from the article. I got
the impression that she was talking about one person.
There were multiple people mentioned in the article, including a friend of the main male character who was calling the writer to ask her for the bail money -- and was also the one asking for her personal details such as her birth date and where she was born (the implication for me was this was for identity theft although that was left unclear in the article). Also she mentioned a cast of characters (like the cousin) that had essentially shown up uninvited to the sister's bday party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 10:32 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,393,430 times
^ lol i read that, but she was mostly talking about the jailbird.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:01 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,326,607 times
I didn't read the whole article yet but the author sounds just plain dumb. Why on earth would you give that much money to someone that's basically an acquaintance? Let alone bail someone out of jail that's an acquaintance. He's not a close friend or a family member. I don't think the guy is a "con artist" but that he's likely sees her as a person of means and is using her for money. It's kind of like when a guy uses you for sex. I don't think that's the same thing as a con artist. Con artists intentionally set out to scam you.

Also, in skimming the article, am I reading correctly that "all" he needed was $500? Surely he knows 20 people that could chip in $25 to get that bail money posted...

Old 11-09-2012, 12:58 PM

916 posts, read 2,245,069 times
If Hollywood want to turn this story into a movie, the promo will be something like this :

When two people coming from vast different cultural background met in the streets of Brooklyn and
fall in love, can they overcome all the racial and class obstacles? Their undying love and trust for each
other will be put to test.

The Casts:

Drew Barrymore as the sweet and naive writer Hanna.

Will Smith as David the handsome charming con artist with a good heart.

Pitbull as the aggressive and pimping friend.

Lil wayne as the scary looking cousin.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:02 PM

188 posts, read 276,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I read this piece in the NY Times and thought the writer, who is a white woman from the Midwest, sounded incredibly naive.

What do you think?

What do I owe my neighbor?

Sure, I had moved to Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, as a white, middle-class woman from the Midwestern suburbs, and sure, I knew I was naïve, but I did not confront the reality of my own neighborhood, or myself, until I was asked, a week ago, to post bail for my neighbor.

A few months back, trying to get a feel for our new neighborhood, my roommate and I were walking to a bar when we passed his row house, just down the street. There was loud music coming from his open door, and he hailed us over, asking, were either of us musically inclined? Well, yes, I said, I play the violin. He went to get his friend, racing up his steps — she plays the violin! And this is how I met David (whose name I’ve changed here, for the sake of his privacy).

He was an aspiring rapper, and some days later he brought his boombox and producer to my sister’s birthday party, the crowd singing along, willingly, until more and more of his friends began to come in our door. After this my sister did not care for him, and my roommate did not care for him. He’s handsome, she said, and I think he means well, but why was his little brother here at midnight? Why was his mother here? Why does his cousin look so scary?

But I liked the way he was always asking me about myself, my family, my writing. Maybe the details of what he was doing were on the vague side, and maybe he called me at the oddest hours of morning or night, but he carried my groceries when I came by his place, and once walked me the 15 minutes to the Nostrand Avenue subway stop, on a rainy day when he knew I had no umbrella.

Click the link above to read the rest -- it ends with him calling her to bail him out of jail --$2500 -- although she's eventually asked for only $500 by another friend.

too long, didnt read

Old 11-09-2012, 01:33 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,393,430 times
lls..

Old 11-09-2012, 02:08 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,020,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
If Hollywood want to turn this story into a movie, the promo will be something like this :

When two people coming from vast different cultural background met in the streets of Brooklyn and
fall in love, can they overcome all the racial and class obstacles? Their undying love and trust for each
other will be put to test.

The Casts:

Drew Barrymore as the sweet and naive writer Hanna.

Will Smith as David the handsome charming con artist with a good heart.

Pitbull as the aggressive and pimping friend.

Lil wayne as the scary looking cousin.
LOL! Yes! Jeez, he's ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City