Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 07:17 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Lines are still long, mainly because few gas stations are selling the stuff. With fewer gas stations available, you'd see people coming from other places and that's why the long lines remain. Not sure how rationing would help with the lines. But mathematically speaking;
if before the rationing system 100 cars were determined to get gas today but now only 50 are able to get it, then you should have 50 cars less waiting on line.
wrong !

why ? its not 100 cars over two days that go to gas ,its 200 if before odd and even , thats 100 per day mixed plates were on the line or 200 cars filled in two days. .. lets assume 50/50 split.

its now going to be 100 even one day and 100 odd the next. same two hundred cars in two days.

your assuming its one long line one day of only 100 cars and the 2nd day is zero cars so you split the 100 cars into 2 days.

the fact is in two days your line would have to be not 100 but 200 cars long if you were taking 2 days usage and putting them on one line so you can divide it in 1/2..

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-10-2012 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 07:36 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
If some of the same people come back the next day for gas to top off the gas, the 2nd day would increase. I can easily burn up 1/4 tank over the weekend by visiting relatives, shopping, running errands, going out, etc. A full tank on Saturday morning could be down to 2/3 to 3/4 by Sunday evening. I need to top it off again on sunday night, so I don't worry about getting gas during rush hour. Maybe I should wait to Monday evening, but I am paranoid like that.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:43 AM

reality is now they are back on your line not the next day but the third day topping off.

no matter how you slice it x amount of drivers need x amount of gas a week . assuming 50/50 mix how you divide them up only changes the mix of the que ,the numbers always stay the same.

if two hundred cars fill up in two days at your station before rationing then 100 odd and 100 even dont change a thing.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:45 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
wrong !

why ? its not 100 cars over two days that go to gas ,its 200 if before odd and even , thats 100 per day mixed plates were on the line or 200 cars filled in two days. .. lets assume 50/50 split.

its now going to be 100 even one day and 100 odd the next. same two hundred cars in two days.

your assuming its one long line one day of only 100 cars and the 2nd day is zero cars so you split the 100 cars into 2 days.

the fact is in two days your line would have to be not 100 but 200 cars long if you were taking 2 days usage and putting them on one line so you can divide it in 1/2..
What?

Look it's not that hard to understand:

-100 cars want gas today at x gas station.

Only 50 can get it.

-100 cars want gas tomorrow at x gas station.

Only 50 can get it.

Where are you getting lost here?

Old 11-10-2012, 07:49 AM

no that no true. lets say your even and your line today was reduced from 100 mixed to only the 50 even. . the 50 others that were even plates that would have gone tomorrow if we didnt go to even/odd will now add themselves to your line today if its their day. your forgetting there are 50 even people who would normally be on tomorrows line in the random mix but are now added to your line today in the even mix.

your line is 100 even plates now.

i just did it myself, i was going to go today when i was off but i was forced to go yesterday and get on a line i wasnt even going to take up space on had it not been my day. .. i could have waited until tomorrow but then im on a line i would not have been even on if i went today but couldnt.

THINK OF IT AS IF YOU HAD THE CAPACITY TO HAVE ENOUGH GAS TO FILL 200 CARS OVER TWO DAYS.

if prior to odd/even your station serviced 100 cars mixed plates per day and day two was 100 cars mixed plates thats 200 cars . you will now have 50 even plates from day one on your line AND 50 CARS WHO WOULD HAVE GONE DAY 2, BUT INSTEAD ARE NOW ON YOUR LINE BECAUSE THEY CANT GO TOMORROW.

THATS 100 CARS STILL per day. the number of cars will always be determined by how much gas you can pump. if you can pump to 100 cars a day 100 cars of the same plate type will be at your door to suck you dry until empty..

the 200 hundred cars you filled up of mixed plates in two days didnt have 100 cars suddenly vanish in the air and now you only filled 100 over 2 days.

if what you think was true every station should still have 1/2 their capacity left over for today from yesterday since they only filled 1/2 the number of cars up according to your logic.

well check gas buddy ,see if thats the case.

its not the case and as long as a station has gas and is pumping the lines will be there until they are out .

checking gas buddy shows our station here went from a 15 minute wait to 90 minutes in a span of 4 minutes time last night even with odd/even. that was at 3:30 am to boot.

those that timed it lucky thought odd/even was great ,those that didnt had a longer wait then when they last got gas prior.

last night at 4am the wait at gulf ,another station was over 2 hours off horace harding and the xpressway.

think about it..

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-10-2012 at 08:43 AM..

Old 11-10-2012, 08:41 AM

Oh well. What else can I say?
This isn't rocket science actually.

You can't fill up your tank if your plate ends on an odd number in a even ending number day like November 10.

But like I said before, since there are very few stations selling gas, you get people from other places coming over where there's availability. This makes lines longer regardless.
The restriction based on plate endings is just an attempt at reducing (by half) the absolute number of cars that can fill up at any given time.

That's all. It not a hard concept to grasp, really.

Last edited by likeminas; 11-10-2012 at 09:09 AM..

Old 11-10-2012, 08:45 AM

i give up... your as thick as a brick.. 100 cars didnt vanish into the air , the station has capacity to pump to 100 cars a day and they still are, they dont stop pumping at 50 . it continues on until they are out just as it has before filling all 100 cars of the same plate....

just look around you ,do the stations who pumped yesterday have gas left without a refill ? nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo

they pumped to capacity. period. if they can fill 100 cars then 100 cars were filled. they were just the same plate type instead of random.

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-10-2012 at 08:59 AM..

Old 11-10-2012, 09:40 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
If the main reason for the long lines is that people are topping off their gas every day for fear of not getting any, odd/even might help. If the main reason for the long lines is not enough gas is available to serve those who are low on gasoline, it isn't going to help. However, as more gasoline becomes available, lines will reduce -- and the governor will give rationing the credit.

I think it's mostly a way of the governors being able to "do something".

Old 11-10-2012, 10:06 AM

I can't explain it in any simpler words, your logic (or rather lack thereof) is mesmerizing.
The number of gas stations selling the stuff is very limited. People from other places come over where is available.
Cutting in half the number of cars competing for gas is, again, an attempt at reducing lines at those limited stations selling gas.
Will it work? I don't know. My gas buddy zip code reports lines of 30 mins. But as more gas stations become functional the problem should subside.

In my opinion, the gov't should temporarily lift price gouging restrictions in these situations. People from other states would gladly drive trucks full of fuel if they knew they could make some money. I would much rather pay $8 a gallon for a month or two than have this kind of situation.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:21 AM

the issue is supply,. the biggest distributor for queens and brooklyn is motiva in greenpoint.

the fill and run a huge amount of tanker trucks and they were destroyed. with them out of the picture other distributors are trying to fill the shortfall.

they really cant as it takes 3 hours to fill a tanker and get him out. the sharing of resources is hurting suffolk and nassau as the 2nd biggest distributor is in holtsville .

with limited amount of time in a day at best each slot can only fill so many tankers.

right now we are caught in a circle, people are filling up 2x a week when they catch a line lucky . no one wants to not guess when the opportunity presents itself for fear of waiting and no gas or longer lines.

forget resorting by plate,car color or how many doors on your car its all bull. we all need gas and no matter how you sort us we will drain the station that day.

perhaps checking tanks to make sure you are at a 1/2 tank or less would shorten lines. that at least keeps folks off it more than 1x a week

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-10-2012 at 11:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City