Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 10:35 PM

3 posts, read 7,132 times

Advertisements

What are people's thoughts about the West 50th-55th street, and 9th-12th avenue block area? Is it a safe and nice area to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 06:51 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serum86 View Post
Thanks. The replies have all been helpful so far. I'm thinking 43rd to 55th between 8th and 10th. Would you say it's more Upper West Side or East Villageish? Or just becoming one with Chelsea. It's getting harder to tell all these neighborhoods apart. The choice in Manhattan seems to be between more strollers / less college kids and 20 somethings or vice versa.
I'll be honest with you when a friend of mine got an affordable housing apt on 53rd and 11th ave I was expecting the scene you are describing in Chelsea... The times i've visited him though I was proven wrong about the area... I mean at night time, sure there's a gay scene there if you go out looking for it but especially further away from Times Square it's pretty laid back there and the Mercedes building which is currently an 80/20 building seems to mainly have your hard working honest native New Yorkers as well as your non-pretentious middle/upper middle class natives as well... I've gotten to know a few people that live in that building and look aside, you would think you were talking to people in South Brooklyn or Northeast Queens rather than Manhattan.

I definitely agree with available's original statement that while it does have a yup scene just like pretty much anywhere in Manhattan does now, it's not as in your face as other neighborhoods. I also think you're safe from it becoming an area like Chelsea... Not as much happening over there especially passing 9th ave as other Manhattan neighborhood which makes it less appealing to that crowd. I've been around that 10th ave area from about 8-10pm and aside from a random block or two hear or there, it's pretty dead...

Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 AM

24 posts, read 88,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I'll be honest with you when a friend of mine got an affordable housing apt on 53rd and 11th ave I was expecting the scene you are describing in Chelsea... The times i've visited him though I was proven wrong about the area... I mean at night time, sure there's a gay scene there if you go out looking for it but especially further away from Times Square it's pretty laid back there and the Mercedes building which is currently an 80/20 building seems to mainly have your hard working honest native New Yorkers as well as your non-pretentious middle/upper middle class natives as well... I've gotten to know a few people that live in that building and look aside, you would think you were talking to people in South Brooklyn or Northeast Queens rather than Manhattan.

I definitely agree with available's original statement that while it does have a yup scene just like pretty much anywhere in Manhattan does now, it's not as in your face as other neighborhoods. I also think you're safe from it becoming an area like Chelsea... Not as much happening over there especially passing 9th ave as other Manhattan neighborhood which makes it less appealing to that crowd. I've been around that 10th ave area from about 8-10pm and aside from a random block or two hear or there, it's pretty dead...
Wow. I didn't expect a response this encouraging. Perhaps there is hope for Manhattan after all. Many thanks.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:19 AM

676 posts, read 1,261,634 times
I don't live in the area, but I work near there. There are a decent amount of supermarkets and lots of restaurants and bars, don't know what the schools are like. A lot of transit options. The number of tourists can get a bit overwhelming, especially during the week between Christmas and New Years. And right before Labor Day. But West of 9th should be a little less crowded.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
Used to live there. Really enjoyed it. Lots of restaurants, very convenient to transportation and just walking places, but as others have said, can be very touristy and noisy. I wouldn't want to live on 8th, just too crowded. I lived between 9th and 10th when I was there. Preferred that since being on the avenue can be a lot louder/busier. Between 10th and 11th is a bit quieter, but as you go even further west you start to distance yourself from transportation and you become a little more remote. There are luxury buildings on 11th/12th though. Definitely becoming a lot more developed. 10th avenue is starting to become the new 9th! Overall I think it's a great, convenient neighborhood if you don't mind crowds. You'll never go hungry there.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:53 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Thanks. In your opinion as people who live or have lived there recently, what do you think the next 5 years hold? I know you don't have a crystal ball, but do you see it becoming more like Chelsea. I'll be honest, I used to like Chelsea back when I knew a girl living there in the late 90's. It felt like a neighborhood. Now it seems to be the epicenter for the young, the "fabulous," the rich and the transplanted. I see the glass condos going up at light speed and the old businesses shutting down. It's ridiculous. Every time I go down there, I feel like I've just stepped into the world of the Bravo network or Sex and the City. I can't stand that. Is this the future of HK or do you think it will maintain an identity or even, if miracles do happen, that old feel you speak of? Again, I ask this because you'll have more of a sense having lived there of where things are going.
Chelsea and Hells Kitchen are one in the same. HK rents are constantly climbing. I'd wager to say there's twice as many guys in HK than in Chelsea, yet half the number of gyms.

The established businesses already do well there, not quite mom & pop, but not entirely chains either. Expect the mom and pop stuff to fade further though, as Hells Kitchen gradually becomes a big thai food restaurant and gay bar.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:12 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,124 times
Quote:
Thanks. In your opinion as people who live or have lived there recently, what do you think the next 5 years hold? I know you don't have a crystal ball, but do you see it becoming more like Chelsea. I'll be honest, I used to like Chelsea back when I knew a girl living there in the late 90's. It felt like a neighborhood. Now it seems to be the epicenter for the young, the "fabulous," the rich and the transplanted. I see the glass condos going up at light speed and the old businesses shutting down. It's ridiculous. Every time I go down there, I feel like I've just stepped into the world of the Bravo network or Sex and the City. I can't stand that. Is this the future of HK or do you think it will maintain an identity or even, if miracles do happen, that old feel you speak of? Again, I ask this because you'll have more of a sense having lived there of where things are going.
it doesn't have the clothing boutiques and hip clubs like Chelsea, and personally I don't think it's going to get them, so i don't think you have to worry about that part of it

i think it will continue to be more varied than Chelsea in terms of what it offers. you've got great restaurants on 9th. you've got theater district stuff. you've got the touristy thing from times square. you've got a lot of commuters coming through port auth. you've got the Intrepid bringing people in. you're not too far from columbus circle and that stuff either. just a short walk up to lincoln center if you want to see an event there. etc...

Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post

But is it safe? Desolate can mean either quiet and calm or empty and scary. The area around the new Red Cross Building (49th & 11th Ave, I think), I feel uneasy walking around there esp. at night just because it looks kind of dead, empty and "warehous-y" with nothing open and minimal foot traffic. Kind of like the garment district area (7th and 8th Ave in the 20's early 30's). It's probably safe but it doesn't feel safe at least not to me.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:43 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
But is it safe? Desolate can mean either quiet and calm or empty and scary. The area around the new Red Cross Building (49th & 11th Ave, I think), I feel uneasy walking around there esp. at night just because it looks kind of dead, empty and "warehous-y" with nothing open and minimal foot traffic. Kind of like the garment district area (7th and 8th Ave in the 20's early 30's). It's probably safe but it doesn't feel safe at least not to me.
It has never been safer... This isn't a city like Chicago where crime is ridiculously high in pockets and then nearly non-existant in others... There is a level of street smarts that you have to have in Hell's Kitchen, just like you would in Williamsburg, in Flatbush or in UES... In this city, being robbed for your gadges or mugged is a possibility wherever you go... That being said, if you're talking about random violent crimes scaring you when you enter Hell's Kitchen I say you're better off in 2012 Hell's Kichen than at probably any other point in time previously... I think you'll be alright...

Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Another question should be about your budget, before leaving your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City