U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 04:35 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,812,016 times

Advertisements

No, why should NYC Police and firefighters be forced to live in some crappy NYC neighborhood when they already have a much better quality of life in Nassau, Suffolk, or Westchester? They work hard to get what they have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 04:45 PM

3,902 posts, read 2,233,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
As for the FD, I'm ok with them living outside the 5 boros. Their relationship with the general population has always been more amicable than it has been with the NYPD. Besides, their mission is completely different.
Not attacking your opinion, but I have a question:

If you believe that the NYPD and FDNY should have different rules - in this case a residency rule which would arguably impact the quality of life for NYPD officers and their families in a negative way - do you believe that if the NYPD was required to live within the 5 boros and work 5 days a week, that the FDNY should still have salary parity while working 8 days a month and being able to live outside of the city?

Old 11-15-2012, 04:48 PM

3,902 posts, read 2,233,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You are exactly right Likeminas...the attitude of these guys who live out in the burbs is that we are animals needed to be kept in line and under control. They look down on city residents and could careless about them as people.
You refuse to admit this EVER, but don't you realize that the same logic pattern you are using here to label ALL NYPD cops who live outside the city is the same as those the one you are accusing the cops of using to label city residents?

Old 11-15-2012, 04:48 PM

596 posts, read 746,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Not only live in the city but should be assigned to work in the same general neighborhood/community/zip code they live in. Communities should be policed by its own
I'm not sure I really agree with that. That would cause the police to be biased in a lot of cases where something involved a friend, a family member, or maybe just somebody who lent them $5 the day before. It would create a lot of tension between neighbors.

You know there used to be a punk band called the Dead Kennedys back in the 70's and 80's and their lead singer once ran for mayor of San Francisco with one of his major policies being that police officers should have to be elected. That would be entertaining.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:09 PM

2,506 posts, read 2,423,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You are exactly right Likeminas...the attitude of these guys who live out in the burbs is that we are animals needed to be kept in line and under control. They look down on city residents and could careless about them as people.

That would change when they live in NYC and understand the issues we all face, and recognize we are people too. At this point, they and the fire dept are simply an occupying force (like the US in Afghanistan...and we know how well that works!

Make them live in NYC and see how much better the NYPD and NYFD function as a result of them living here also.

I dont doubt that this is sometimes true. I know it is. But I doubt very mcuh whether it has anything to do with where the cop lives. Those with the bad attitude will have it no matter where they sleep at night. The bad ones are racists with guns, plain and simple.

It's just that I dont believe for a second they would change if they were forced to live in the city. Having to live near the people they despised, I think there's a greater chance that the bad cops would become even worse.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:06 PM

898 posts, read 972,948 times
I think all city workers including NYPD should live within NYC. It helps the city's economy and being part
of the community instead of just a work place for them. It's human nature to care more about an area
if you and your family also live in it.

The few hardcore racists who were forced to live in the city with the people they despised might
actually quit the force just to keep their family clean from the "animals".

Old 11-15-2012, 08:23 PM

7,903 posts, read 13,935,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
No, why should NYC Police and firefighters be forced to live in some crappy NYC neighborhood when they already have a much better quality of life in Nassau, Suffolk, or Westchester? They work hard to get what they have.
Because they are civil servants and work in a city with unique communities and problems. They should be familiar. Perhaps someone who has lived here in NYC their whole life does not need to meet a requirement like this but if your someone who has lived in rockland county or LI your whole life you should definitely be required to live in the city an x amount of years.

Also you can't have good QOL here in the city?

Old 11-15-2012, 08:24 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,546,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

If you believe that the NYPD and FDNY should have different rules - in this case a residency rule which would arguably impact the quality of life for NYPD officers and their families in a negative way - do you believe that if the NYPD was required to live within the 5 boros and work 5 days a week, that the FDNY should still have salary parity while working 8 days a month and being able to live outside of the city?

I would say to them you should've taken the fireman test instead! J/k
I guess the fair thing to do, would be to require both departments employees to live within the 5 Boroughs, or even better I would do what jaydata suggests above.
Require that all city workers, live within the five Boroughs. To best serve NYC , you gotta breath, smell, see and live in this city to really know what's happening. The city also needs to recycle their wages as much as possible, by getting more revenue in the form of taxes (property, sale, income, etc).
if city workers don't like the deal, they can work for the state, or the federal government.
Or they can do what most of us do, work for corporate America and live whatever the hell they please

Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

If NYPD implemented something like this I would think it would only be required of new officers coming in. I highly doubt they would impose than on the vets.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:33 PM

Well personally I just feel NYPD should live at least some time in the city. I wouldn't be in favor of them always having to live in the city. I don't see the point in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City