Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:52 PM

802 posts, read 1,357,008 times

Advertisements

i want to hear from gun owners
how long it takes after submitting all aplications?
do i have to be citizen? or green card is good enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 09:18 PM

130 posts, read 280,984 times
3.**Proof of Citizenship/Alien Registration:**If you were born outside the United States, you must submit your naturalization papers or evidence of citizenship if derived from your parents. All other applicants born outside the United States must submit their Alien Registration Card. If you have lived in this country less than 7 years you must submit a good conduct certificate, or equivalent, from your country of origin and two (2) letters of reference that certify to your good character.

NYPD - Permits

Old 11-16-2012, 02:00 AM

105,972 posts, read 107,921,072 times
6 to 9 months typically.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:28 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,253,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtrustates View Post
i want to hear from gun owners
how long it takes after submitting all aplications?
do i have to be citizen? or green card is good enough?
The gun laws in NYC are designed to make it difficult and very, very expensive to own a firearm legally here. The hoops you need to jump through are many -- and IMO its just not worth the effort and expense.

Even when you get to the point where you are allowed to have a gun in your home the moment you fire it at an intruder you'll likely find yourself in jail since self defense is essentially illegal in NYC.

It's easier just to live in a safer neighborhood.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:28 AM

681 posts, read 1,664,798 times
I got my NYC rifle/shotgun permit in 3 months.
For the pistol permit, I've heard of them being approved in as fast as 4 months.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 AM

802 posts, read 1,357,008 times
i do live in safe neighborhood but it can become unsafe if something happens
what if i buy a gun in philly (i own a house there too) and bring it here?

Old 11-16-2012, 12:30 PM

hope you like your new home with bars. you cannot bring it here.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:01 PM

681 posts, read 1,664,798 times
Quote:
If you have a PA drivers license you can legally purchase the gun there in PA.

You can hide it and bring it to your residence in NYC/NYS but you are taking a big, big risk. I think its an automatic 2 year jail sentence for illegal possession of a hand gun in NYC if you happen to get caught.

The thing is its all "ok" until you get caught, and even if you used the weapon for self defense, you're double screwed anyway, NYC prosecutors will make sure of that, and Mayor Bloomberg will make a big deal about it in the news.

Buy the gun and keep it secured in you PA home. Go out there on the weekends and holidays for target practice and enjoy your 2A freedoms

Old 11-16-2012, 04:29 PM

dont do the reverse though. if you get your nyc residence permit whatever guns are listed on it DO NOT bring them to pa to shoot.

because of the restrictions on the residence permit your permit isnt valid when you leave the state.

your guns are not legally owned the instant you cross the border and pa law says only guns legally owned in pa can be possesed.

i had a home in pa up until last july and we had a shooting range on route 6 down the road from our house but i wasnt allowed to shoot there with anything i brought in.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:06 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,330,863 times
Quote:
I live in PA, have a license to carry and carry at all times BUT I MUST LEAVE MY HANDGUN AT HOME IN PA EVERYTIME I GO TO NYC AND NJ. I have family and friends in both areas so I'm more than just a tourist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City