Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 12:01 PM

317 posts, read 819,213 times

Advertisements

I moved to NYC going on my 3rd month now and I have family in some areas that occasionally take me through some bad areas and also I have been to places that border bad areas and I noticed the lack of bars on the windows.

I moved from Miami, FL where it is standard to have every window barred up if you're in a bad area. It is a way I could always distinguish between which neighborhoods not to move into.

Maybe I am over observing, but does anyone in NYC use the barred window method to deter crime or is everyone armed with shotguns waiting behind their doors!!

With that being said, what is the best form of security you use when your in your apartment/home/condo etc...???/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 12:07 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,616,861 times
In most bad neighborhoods people do have bars. In my neighborhood, which is very low-crime, some people have bars on first floor windows, I assume left over from when there was more crime in the city overall. I think as crime has gone down, a lot of people have taken bars off except in the worst areas. They're so depressing.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:46 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Most Ground Floor or Basement windows have bars new or old due to easy breakins....you see this in good areas , in bad areas usually all floors have bars...

Old 11-17-2012, 02:49 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
Many times, you will find security devices inside the units, not on the exterior of the building. The FDNY requires the security devices to be quick release, with no key, from the inside, so that the tenant can get out of the unit in the event of a fire. Also, in the case of an upper floor unit accessible by fire escape, where a resident wishes security bars, the device cannot be mounted outside as that would block egress of the fire escape, as the security grill would project beyond the building, so they are interior frame-mounted.

A relative of mine has security bars on the first floor of their brownstone in Brooklyn (a good neighborhood too), that look more like ornamental grillwork, with planter boxes and the like, rather than less expensive security bars that do evoke images of a correctional environment.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-17-2012, 07:10 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
I would never live in any apartment with bars on the windows, it is like a prison cell.

I find also looking at apartments with bars on the windows, (not the iron ones like on the ground floors of park Slope Brownstones), but the metal ones, they look like crap.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:08 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,576,804 times
Even some very expensive, very safe neighborhoods have bars on the windows of the first floor. Please don't use this as a guideline to judge the neighborhood. Look up stats and speak with people familiar with the area. There are also some not so aesthetically pleasing areas that are perfectly safe to live in as well.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:46 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
I moved to NYC going on my 3rd month now and I have family in some areas that occasionally take me through some bad areas and also I have been to places that border bad areas and I noticed the lack of bars on the windows.

I moved from Miami, FL where it is standard to have every window barred up if you're in a bad area. It is a way I could always distinguish between which neighborhoods not to move into.
For one thing ,the crime rate in Miami is much much higher than NYC so there may be much more of a need for bars on windows.The fact is that the crime rate in average Miami neighborhoods is higher than the crime rate in some of the higher crime neighborhoods of NYC.

You can't use bars on windows as barometer of crime in a neighborhood here because there are lots and lots of bars on windows in some of the best neighborhoods.Most of the barred windows in NYC are remnants of the 70's,80's and 90's when the crime rate was a lot higher and it seems like there are less and less barred windows around with each passing year.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:33 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
Miami is also skewed by Spanish Revival architecture, where ornamental wrought iron grillwork is often very prominent.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-19-2012, 07:09 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,553,503 times
Bars on windows often says more about the psychology of the people inside the apartment than the behavior of the people outside the apartment.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:08 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Bars on windows often says more about the psychology of the people inside the apartment than the behavior of the people outside the apartment.

Grew up in the 70s in Prospect Lefferts Gardens, and Flatbush in general.

Moved in the 80s near Brooklyn College, and Flatbush generally.

NO BARS, NO BARS, NO BARS!! (Ornamental Brownstone the exception).

We used to marvel at the prisons people built to protect themselves in poor areas like East NY, Brownsville, Bed stuy, New Lots, etc.

Even in a place like Stuyvesant Heights, save the ornamental, NO BARS!!!

The Bourgoise convention was not only were "bars" unattractive, but they made the statement that YOU lived in an unsafe area. If the area was that unsafe, then MOVE!!

We could not imagine inviting anyone to a bar clad home. It w/b embarrassing!

I do not believe I have ever been inside such a home, nor known anyone to have so clad their home. I've seen many though....

Last edited by jcoltrane; 11-19-2012 at 01:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City