Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 02:12 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
I agree. USA is suppose to be a 1st world country (super power - LOL). Yet, we have the most incarcerated population and we have homeless people.
You're right no other industrialized first-world country has criminals or homeless people, just the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 02:55 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
You're right no other industrialized first-world country has criminals or homeless people, just the U.S.
That's not what that person said. S/he said, we have more. Which is true.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:31 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
where in my statement did i state that??

Old 12-02-2012, 07:13 PM

25 posts, read 53,224 times
homeless people are (unfortunately) a part of urban life. There is a greater population of homeless folks in larger cities, just a fact of life. I currently live in Toronto (but thinking of a move to NYC) and we have quite a large homeless population here as well. I find for the most part, they don't bother anyone. They are actually quite polite to me! Always wish me a great day even if I don't have anything to give them. That being said....I've had a few run-ins (mainly on public transit!...the bastards..the crazies always get you where you can't escape!). This also, I just take as a part of urban life. My rule of thumb: ignore, ignore, ignore! Don't engage.

Last edited by em31; 12-02-2012 at 08:05 PM..

Old 12-04-2012, 07:08 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice501 View Post
I just recently moved to NYC and I am really getting tired of all the schizophrenic hobos harassing people on the street and the subway. That is part of the reason I'm thinking of going to LA, where I can avoid public transportation and walking around on the streets filled with bums.
Actually the homeless population in LA and SF is far, far, far worse than NYC. Mild weather and uber-liberal policies means they're absolutley everywhere and just as aggressive if not worse. Just pop in the LA and SF subforums sometime.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 912 times
I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

I'd think the bums (and that's what most 'street people' are) in the States are probably more hostile than ours. My city exists as a supply depot to the tar sands, to our northeast, as you're doubtless aware, with all this Keystone row. With all the big money to be made in Fort MacMurray, there is always the attendant bums that flock to any 'frontier' city. I currently live in our downtown, and will say that the bums are nothing but a pain in the c**t. Anyone who objects to this evaluation is just a bleeding-heart-liberal, who can just go on bleeding, for all I care.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:03 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,014 times
Some are indeed hostile. I don't mind giving a hand and usually if I believe their story or I've seen them a few times. But a lot are indeed aggressive and they choose inappropriate locations to ask for money.

Waiting by the door of a bank or a Check Time to ask for money raises an alarm in my book. It's like this, "ok, I know you have money, I just saw you withdraw, Now give me some or I beat you on the spot".

Old 04-04-2015, 10:49 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
After a period of relative cleaning up during the Giuliani and much of the Bloomberg administrations, yes we have too also noticed a large uptick of homeless.

Everywhere you go, on the UES, the subways, certain parks, and so forth it seems you cannot get away from them.

A few years ago noticed after along absence panhandling, sleeping and general vagrancy on the IRT line. Perhaps not since the early 1990's one now has to watch for which subway cars are not serving as a homeless lounge/dining car/ sleeping quarters (hint it is usually the most emptiest even on a crowded train).

At night they are rummaging through the plastic bin liners on curbs looking for food or things to sell. Between them and those "Feegans" and recycle thieves you can hardly sleep some nights for the noise. It is like a plague of giant rats.

One reason for all this is simple; the cost of housing has skyrocketed in NYC over the past decade. You have fewer and fewer "cheap" apartments or areas where people used to be able to find some sort of housing. NYCHA, supportive and other City housing programs are stretched as well.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:42 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
After a period of relative cleaning up during the Giuliani and much of the Bloomberg administrations, yes we have too also noticed a large uptick of homeless.

Everywhere you go, on the UES, the subways, certain parks, and so forth it seems you cannot get away from them.

A few years ago noticed after along absence panhandling, sleeping and general vagrancy on the IRT line. Perhaps not since the early 1990's one now has to watch for which subway cars are not serving as a homeless lounge/dining car/ sleeping quarters (hint it is usually the most emptiest even on a crowded train).

At night they are rummaging through the plastic bin liners on curbs looking for food or things to sell. Between them and those "Feegans" and recycle thieves you can hardly sleep some nights for the noise. It is like a plague of giant rats.

One reason for all this is simple; the cost of housing has skyrocketed in NYC over the past decade. You have fewer and fewer "cheap" apartments or areas where people used to be able to find some sort of housing. NYCHA, supportive and other City housing programs are stretched as well.
I agree with all of this. In regards to the subways, The colder weather has driven those homeless to seek shelter indoors so there is more of a concentration of them on the subways. It's hard to watch and sad people have to live like this. The housing market is completely nuts in regards to rent. There are homeless who have jobs as well, and some are "invisible" homeless who do not sleep out in public but instead may couch surf or live in a vehicle. There are also more in general people living in shared arrangements to be able to afford a decent place.

More shelters have opened up but they have very stringent criteria in getting in and they are stretched thin in regards to caseload. Many are awful places that are falling apart and have issues with violence. Some choose the streets, subways or a more hidden spot somewhere. We are not even remotely close to solving the problem of homelessness or affordable housing. Paying $2000.00 + for a shoebox is not the way to live at least in a long term situation. We have a large influx of people from elsewhere arriving in large numbers as well that increase needs for housing.

Many solutions are needed, For sure.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:06 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
Some are indeed hostile. I don't mind giving a hand and usually if I believe their story or I've seen them a few times. But a lot are indeed aggressive and they choose inappropriate locations to ask for money.

Waiting by the door of a bank or a Check Time to ask for money raises an alarm in my book. It's like this, "ok, I know you have money, I just saw you withdraw, Now give me some or I beat you on the spot".
They wait outside convenience stores also. In stores where the door is open they may watch to see how much change you get back. Also for smokers*-A request for a cigarette may be followed by a request for some cash. When I smoked I would get this frequently. Some are homeless, some are just neighborhood people looking for handouts. I posted how an attempt to buy a sandwich and coffee resulted in the guy freaking out. You never know.

*Yet another great reason to quit smoking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City