Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 10:18 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,314,654 times

Advertisements

I think Park Slope might be too family oriented for your life stage. Williamsburg is probably the better of the options-- but it is very expensive now. You might want to consider Greenpoint. A little bit cheaper than Williamsburg and still has that young vibe but mixed with old ethnic NY (it's a Polish neighborhood). A lot of people are turned off by Greenpoint because the only train that serves it is the G, and the G does not go into Manhattan- it runs through BK and into Queens. I've taken the G many times when I have to travel to the East side of Manhattan and I must say, it may not go into Manhattan but it is very reliable. It runs like clockwork and you can connect to the lines that get into Manhattan very easily. In fact, it's WAY more reliable than the C (which I usually take to work).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 10:30 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,314,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Bushwick is a crappy neighborhood. blech. forget raw and gritty.
us old timers call it shytty...
I think a lot of old timers have an old attitude about some neighborhoods. Clearly enough people like it to be moving there and there are obviously enough of them to support all of the "new resident" establishments popping up.

This, by the way, is coming from a person that dislikes Bushwick (I don't care for the "industrial" look and I think the residential housing stock is ugly). My feelings about the area aside, I recognize that it works for a lot of people.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 AM

18,373 posts, read 31,471,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I think Park Slope might be too family oriented for your life stage. Williamsburg is probably the better of the options-- but it is very expensive now. You might want to consider Greenpoint. A little bit cheaper than Williamsburg and still has that young vibe but mixed with old ethnic NY (it's a Polish neighborhood). A lot of people are turned off by Greenpoint because the only train that serves it is the G, and the G does not go into Manhattan- it runs through BK and into Queens. I've taken the G many times when I have to travel to the East side of Manhattan and I must say, it may not go into Manhattan but it is very reliable. It runs like clockwork and you can connect to the lines that get into Manhattan very easily. In fact, it's WAY more reliable than the C (which I usually take to work).

I too will also agree with Greenpoint, I found it pretty nice this past summer as i rode my bike thru it exploring different neighborhoods.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 AM

223 posts, read 614,119 times
Try Ditmas Park.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:52 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,788,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I think a lot of old timers have an old attitude about some neighborhoods. Clearly enough people like it to be moving there and there are obviously enough of them to support all of the "new resident" establishments popping up.

This, by the way, is coming from a person that dislikes Bushwick (I don't care for the "industrial" look and I think the residential housing stock is ugly). My feelings about the area aside, I recognize that it works for a lot of people.
What establishments? I've circled that area left and right and other than a couple of spots near the borderlines of East Williamsburg and Bed-stuy I don't see much of anything... I think people have created an idea for Bushwick that is just completely untrue... Bushwick has taken a life of its own so far away from its reality that it's comical... Bed-stuy, Crown Heights, and I'd put my money that even Mott Haven along the Hub have far more in terms of hipster related places than Bushwick and it's just laughable to me how this place continues to receive the hype that it does despite the revolving door it has created for so many hipsters that actually live in what is truly Bushwick and not (western bed-stuy or east williamsburg)

Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,595,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
What establishments? I've circled that area left and right and other than a couple of spots near the borderlines of East Williamsburg and Bed-stuy I don't see much of anything... I think people have created an idea for Bushwick that is just completely untrue... Bushwick has taken a life of its own so far away from its reality that it's comical... Bed-stuy, Crown Heights, and I'd put my money that even Mott Haven along the Hub have far more in terms of hipster related places than Bushwick and it's just laughable to me how this place continues to receive the hype that it does despite the revolving door it has created for so many hipsters that actually live in what is truly Bushwick and not (western bed-stuy or east williamsburg)
I'll agree with this sentiment. Bushwick needs to be taken on a block by block basis for the most part. You might have pockets here and there that are okay, but really, a lot of people that moved there are now leaving and heading to other areas. Crime is one of the main reasons. Not to mention a lot of the original housing stock in Bushwick consists of railroad apartments, which makes for a crappy arrangement with roommates.

If I was 23 I would make sure to move to a place that has access to MORE THAN 1 TRAIN. If you're in Williamsburg, depending on where, you're stuck with the L, which is generally quick, but on weekends has constant track work going on and you have to deal with shuttle buses. This has been the case since I was a child. If you look at what happened with Hurricane Sandy, the L and G trains were the last to be up and running because those trains run on the oldest tracks.

You'll want to move to an area where if your main train is down you're within walking distance of another one to use. Park Slope will fulfill this, but like others said, it's more family oriented than anything else.

I would look into Astoria around Broadway and 36th Ave stops. This way you will have access to the N and Q trains, but if needed you can walk to the R and M trains or even the 7 trains.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:05 PM

297 posts, read 727,099 times
Brownsville

Old 11-20-2012, 01:18 PM

1,975 posts, read 2,344,527 times
What about Long Island City? What's that like these days?

Old 11-20-2012, 02:22 PM

297 posts, read 727,099 times
Thats in Queens

Old 11-20-2012, 02:27 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,889,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americasman View Post
Brownsville
Are you serious about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City