Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:20 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,593,817 times

Advertisements

LOL--touche!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 10:04 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,784,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
There are a number of people who would disagree with you, there are areas in Mott Haven, Melrose, etc that are perfectly decent. Are there gucci stores on every corner? Nope. A starbucks every 3 feet? Not yet. Is there crime? Yup. Do I feel safe? Yup. could the area stand more amenities? Sure. Do I enjoy my commute to the city? heck yeah. My neighborhood is very family oriented, with church being the glue that keeps everyone together. I walk down the street and say hi to friends and family....so overlal...I would say that Mott Haven is a decent palce to live. Is it perfect? Nope. Can it improve? yes..and it is improving. Is it for everyone..nope....and neither is riverdale or the neighborhoods you claim are "decent"...whatever that means.
Areas in Mott Haven that are perfectly decent......... you are so full of it.

Enough of this already. I'm really tired of argueing with you.

First of all, when you joined this message board you told me you were a landlord across from the John Adams PJ's UNION and E 152nd Street. You actually PM'ed me before you first posted and have stalked me across this message board. Personal attack after personal attack.

In another thread you say you moved into a 3 apartment house.

What Did You Pay for Your Home?

post #23

Now i'll go with it. I will go with what you said. That you do live there.

OF COURSE YOU WILL RECOMMEND IT, YOU OWN PROPERTY IN THE AREA. You are hoping and praying your property value goes up and obviously you had motives when you joined this message board PM'ing me since I am a very active poster.

Honestly I feel you should be banned as you came on this forum to personally attack me becuase I am ruining your "hustle". But thats just me. You are pissed when anyone puts down a terrible section of the Bronx and day after day you bump Bronx post.

You DO NOT LIVE IN MOTT HAVEN. You said the Times calls that area Mott Haven in a past post, IT'S NOT. That is the eastern edge of Melrose.

You might want to actually educate yourself on the area you live.

Second of all, you have been only living there for about 2 years. I can honestly tell you don't know the area at all. OR ITS PROBLEMS.

But whatever, you don't know the area. Doesn't matter. 99% of the posters on here are walking in the dark. I may not be an expert on Northeast Queens but I sure as hell know the South Bronx, Harlem and some of the other hell holes I have both worked and lived in.

Family oriented? Are you kidding us all. What do you take people for?

You live on a block across the street from the damn PJ's. Down the block from you is a MAJOR drug spot. Down the corner is a homeless shelter. Go up and you will hit some heavy drug/block gang blocks.

That is not a place for a family. That is a place where drug addicts and runaways sit on curbs. Drug dealers blast music from SUV's until 4am and old women clutch their purses tight at 8am.

You can say all you want about "glass half full", "look at his old post".

Yes, anyone can feel free to view my post history. I tell it how it is. I have no motive. No propaganda. I originally joined this forum to look up basic information on other areas of the country as I want to move. I decided to offer my opinion on subjects. You people drive me to help those who are truely clueless.

Please name my motive? That i'm "mean"? I don't like Black people? Go ahead, I would like to hear it.

Sorry for ruining your "hustle" but why should I stand by while someone offers awful advice to all kinds of people. Females, young men...

This is your typical post and everyone feel free to look at his past post:

"yes the south bronx is great!, yea a couple things are wrong but man this place is on the way up 1000 times better then before even though I only lived here for 2 years!"

Pure hype, completely unrealistic.

You recommend all and everyone. I wouldn't recommend Mott Haven to anyone I care about. Crime is far from the only problem in that community. You end up their when you are out of options.

Mott Haven is an awful place to live. Among the worst places to live in America. The poverty is disgusting, I see it with my own eyes. The problems are endless, children who give up hope at a young age and turn to crime. Broken families. Diesese from AIDS to Asthma, drug addiction to alcohol. It's the same things I saw growing up in the past. Nothing major has change.

Even the somewhat more quiet blocks where drama isn't an everyday thing are effected by the criminal youth on the streets around the corner who break car windows, burglaries, loud all night, robberies. Those people live in those new houses aint innocent either. Their kids do the same damn things. Plenty of the new renters and owners do their dirt as well.

Still a pain in the ass when you need something from the store at night but you don't want to brush past all the drug addicts and dealers hanging out begging for change, harrasing. For a male, it can sometimes lead to a beating by bored drunk and high criminals. For a female, it can lead to sexual harrassment, and even a beating if the loiters are females. Even males will knock a female out and snatch a phone. I see it all the time.

Yes there are less abandoned buildings, now they are filled with poor.

Yes there are more jobs. They pay ****.

Wow, they opened a park! In an area that STILL lacks greenspace.

You are something else and I hope the moderation team goes through your past post and analyze just what you provide to this message board.

Keep my name out of your mouth. You mention me in at least half your post. Personal attacks are against forum rules. Just becuase me or others might not see through "rose tint" glasses like you does not mean they are wrong.

GUYWITHACAUSE. Whats your cause for being on this message board? You have to be kidding me.

Mott Haven might be a good choice for you. Someone who could not afford property in a good area. Had to take a gamble on the ghetto. Someone single, a male, Hispanic, who is obviously not out on the streets of the neighborhood. Even then, one of these days someone is going to snatch your phone. It's gotton that bad. I'm sure you feel very uneasy even on your own block at times. Maybe then you will wake up from your coma.

For everyone else, Mott Haven is a ghetto. I lived in Mott Haven for years. I know that place better then you ever will GUYWITHACAUSE. As a child and as an adult. I struggled in that place, shed blood and tears. Your Mott Haven, from your window and the NY Times... You will never know what I know, what I saw in that place and although it will always be my home, I would never want others to go through what me, my family, my friends and many innocent people went through in that community and many still do. Only one of the communities I rested my head in for many years. Today it is no different. Not at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
sorry to say but this is true.
If anyone here is clueless, it is you.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:00 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,987,291 times
Great post Hustla...it will give me a great opportunity to clear up all your concerns and misinformation about me and Mott Haven. I will try to touch on them one by one..here goes:

1- Yes I did say I was a LL when I PMed you. The building I own is a 3 family brownstone. We both agree on that.

2-I am not hoping and praying for appreciation as it has already occurred. If you read my posts that you linked, I am way up so it is moot.

3-My purpose for joining this forum was to provide fair and balanced information, it has nothing to do with you or your posts. However if I do see posts that I disagree with, I will repond and post an alternate point of view...that is the purpose of these rooms, to discuss, compare, and interact. It just so happens that we disagree on many things, so of course I will respond to yoru postings often. It is not personal, I am passionate about my views just as much as you. I will continue to be active in this forum for your view is not the only one that matters or should be heard...there are two sides...and that's part of the fun and learning here.

4-The area that I live in is in fact Mott Haven, not according to me, but according to the city. The link below is a link for a new building directly across the street from me and is advertised by the city as Mott Haven. Please educate yourself:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/download...52STBXAPTS.pdf

5--I do live in Mott Haven and am a longtime resident. What you don't know is that I purchased that home from my mother, who purchased that home from my grandfather. So I am far more knowledgable, active, and aware of this community than many, if not most. I have been here, as have my family, far longer than the 2 years that you assert.

As a result, I do know the area, and from your post, it is clear that you DO NOT know Mott Haven, nor much about me or any other poster. I am glad that you posted this because it shows that not only do you not know about Mott Haven or me, you present your opinion as fact when it is in fact wrong. Your arguments, as usual, are wrong, and have been clearly presented as such.

My only interest is a reasonable assessment of Mott Haven, the good and the bad, while you ONLY present the bad. So who is the one "hustling" here?

Old 10-23-2007, 08:14 AM

Part 2:

6- I am well aware of the drug problems in my area, as well as the drug problems across this city. To reiterate your own saying, "you can't have a pissing area in a pool." So if my block, my nieghborhood has a drug issue, so does everyother. We all live together in this city and we are all just a bike ride, a short stroll, or a 10 minute drive from eachother.

7-My posts have never asserted that Mott Haven is great and it is getting 1,000 times better. However your posts do claim the area is crap, garbage, worthless, should be avoided and left to rot into a hell-like abyss because it will never change no matter what ever. This is clearly not an accurate assessment of the community, nor is it good advice in any way.

8-Thanks again for pointing out all that is wrong with Mott Haven...we get it...you don't like it. They rehabbed and opened no parks..but it has no value to you...they rehabbed buildings and investing to rebuild entire swaths of the community...but according to you why bother. They are investing in huge development like the Yankee Stadium redvelopment zone and new commericial buildings across the borough but you would have them not bother because its a waste of time and money and completely pointless. This is nonsensical and you cannot see the value of anything that is done, because to you it is all pointless.

9-Mott Haven is a good choice for me, and the many others who have chosen to stay and make thigns better, as well as those that are moving into the area for the same reasons. I will not buy into your scare tactics that one day someone is gonna snacth my phone. Someday I might get hit my a cab on my way to work in midtown, that won't prevent me from living my life either. I live my life well aware of what happens in the world, but I live my life nonetheless, as most in the world do.

10-Hustla I disagree that I will never know what you know...as I have lived in Mott Haven as long, if not longer than you. However, what I will say is that I will never think the way you do and will not make the choices you have made or continue to make. I do not try to inspire undeserved fear and scare tactics to keep people away, nor do I disregard the hard work and accomplishments that those within the borough, and outside the borough are doing to to make it a better place.

I am happy there are new parks, new faces, new ideas, new building, new investments, new amenities, new life in this borough. You will never be able to see what is happening otuside of your housing project Hustla....the Bronx is improving...I don't understand why you choose not to see it, try to scare people away who can help make the borough better, and actively participate in its renaissance. It only takes one person...

Old 10-23-2007, 08:16 AM

Sorry wrong link..here is the link indicating Mott Haven!:

Old 10-23-2007, 08:17 AM

hmm..that is not working either. Attach these two links into one link in the order I presented and it will work.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/downloads/pdf/ (broken link)

ABEKEN810E152STBXAPTS.pdf

Old 10-23-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Great post Hustla...it will give me a great opportunity to clear up all your concerns and misinformation about me and Mott Haven. I will try to touch on them one by one..here goes:

1- Yes I did say I was a LL when I PMed you. The building I own is a 3 family brownstone. We both agree on that.
Fine, a 3 family brownstone. E 152nd and Union Avenue. However you have stalked me on this message board since the start, and hopefully the moderators read this topic becuase I have had enough.

Quote:
2-I am not hoping and praying for appreciation as it has already occurred. If you read my posts that you linked, I am way up so it is moot.
Yes housing values have gone up all over the NYC metro. In both good and crap areas. Housing shortage. Of course considering you own property, why would you want that to stop where it is.

Quote:
3-My purpose for joining this forum was to provide fair and balanced information, it has nothing to do with you or your posts. However if I do see posts that I disagree with, I will repond and post an alternate point of view...that is the purpose of these rooms, to discuss, compare, and interact. It just so happens that we disagree on many things, so of course I will respond to yoru postings often. It is not personal, I am passionate about my views just as much as you. I will continue to be active in this forum for your view is not the only one that matters or should be heard...there are two sides...and that's part of the fun and learning here.
Fair and balanced...

You can't be serious. You talk about neighborhoods with so many overwhelming problems without concern. You are a hype machine.

Here is your usual post about Mott Haven

"Mott Haven is great! Yes it has it's problems but it's 1000 times better then it was!"

Anyone reading that will think the places has completely changed for the best, a great area. IT HASN'T.

Mott Haven has many, MANY problems. It's only among the poorest neighborhhoods in America, with a very high crime rate, a place you just end up on hard times. A last resort. Unfortunately many people have been stuck there for generations. This is due to prison, teen pregnancy, addicts to drugs and alcohol and many social problems.

Mott Haven is NOT A NICE PLACE.

Here is a MUCH MORE realistic post...

"Although Mott Haven still suffers from many social ills, things are being done to improve the situation for the current residents. However, much more needs to be done to make this a desirable area. It is still a low income ghetto."

Now that is a realistic statement about Mott Haven.

Quote:
4-The area that I live in is in fact Mott Haven, not according to me, but according to the city. The link below is a link for a new building directly across the street from me and is advertised by the city as Mott Haven. Please educate yourself:

You can't be serious, a flier for housing? You honestly do not know the area. This are not accurate by any standard.
Everyone knows Mott Haven is south of E 149th Street. That is so becuase the 40th precinct once only covered north to that street. That's just always been the Mott Haven area. It's pretty common knowledge.

Quote:
5--I do live in Mott Haven and am a longtime resident. What you don't know is that I purchased that home from my mother, who purchased that home from my grandfather. So I am far more knowledgable, active, and aware of this community than many, if not most. I have been here, as have my family, far longer than the 2 years that you assert.
Okay, since i'm nice i'll give it to you. I'll say you lived in the community for a long time. However it's so obvious you grew up sheltered from the outside world. You know nothing of the community. If not then you are just lieing.

Quote:
As a result, I do know the area, and from your post, it is clear that you DO NOT know Mott Haven, nor much about me or any other poster. I am glad that you posted this because it shows that not only do you not know about Mott Haven or me, you present your opinion as fact when it is in fact wrong. Your arguments, as usual, are wrong, and have been clearly presented as such.
You see, although you and another 2 or 3 posters are very vocal, the vast majority of members are on my side. Look at how much rep I recieve. Where I state are facts. They are unfortunate, but why the hell should I hype a neighborhood. I want the real deal when i'm looking, not some dream.

Trust me, I know Mott Haven very well, I have been inside more buildings in that neighborhood then you could ever imagine.

Quote:
My only interest is a reasonable assessment of Mott Haven, the good and the bad, while you ONLY present the bad. So who is the one "hustling" here?
Mott Haven is an area full of problems. Yes, a couple positives happen in the community in terms of changes, but they are insignificant. I don't have to be so optimistic about a mooring dock in Hunts Point. That is so insiginificant to the areas problems it's like buying the most advanced and latest running shoes and for someone paralyzed.

Sorry but your just upset I put down the neighborhood. Unfortunately it is a nasty place to live or even hang out in.

Quote:
Part 2:

6- I am well aware of the drug problems in my area, as well as the drug problems across this city. To reiterate your own saying, "you can't have a pissing area in a pool." So if my block, my nieghborhood has a drug issue, so does everyother. We all live together in this city and we are all just a bike ride, a short stroll, or a 10 minute drive from eachother.
Sorry but I don't see drug dealers out on the street 24/7 in most of Queens, Southern Brooklyn, Staten Island, and Manhattan South. There is no comparison and you know that. The drug trade in the South Bronx is very strong and obvious. It's the most lucrative business in the community.

Quote:
7-My posts have never asserted that Mott Haven is great and it is getting 1,000 times better. However your posts do claim the area is crap, garbage, worthless, should be avoided and left to rot into a hell-like abyss because it will never change no matter what ever. This is clearly not an accurate assessment of the community, nor is it good advice in any way.
You just called it a family oriented neighborhood. I almost threw up a little in my mouth. Family oriented, who are you trying to fool?

It's not 1,000 times better then it was. If it was it would be completely different then what ever time period you were thinking. It's like the crack era out there with less killings (but still a significant amount) and abandoned buildings. Not much has changed at all. Poverty, still see it. Violent crime, still a problem. Teen pregnancy, problem, failing schools, run down housing/area, lack of jobs for the youth, so many issues. Some significant, some less so. It's still the ghetto...

Your either very naive or your lieing. 1000 times better, please...

[quote=Guywithacause;1806042]8-Thanks again for pointing out all that is wrong with Mott Haven...we get it...you don't like it. They rehabbed and opened no parks..but it has no value to you...they rehabbed buildings and investing to rebuild entire swaths of the community...but according to you why bother. They are investing in huge development like the Yankee Stadium redvelopment zone and new commericial buildings across the borough but you would have them not bother because its a waste of time and money and completely pointless. This is nonsensical and you cannot see the value of anything that is done, because to you it is all pointless.

Some changes have improved the situation for some. A single mother now has a playground to take her children to sometimes where there once was none. Yes eventually that park will be used for vice but beyond that at least it's there for her kid to run around instead of the sidewalk.

However, how is this a significant change? It's not.

A building once a shell, rotting is now a low income building. Now the ghetto youth are selling crack for the established dealers down the block. Yes many good people live in that building but it's brought even more problems to the neighborhood.

Wow, what CHANGES!

Quote:
9-Mott Haven is a good choice for me, and the many others who have chosen to stay and make thigns better, as well as those that are moving into the area for the same reasons. I will not buy into your scare tactics that one day someone is gonna snacth my phone. Someday I might get hit my a cab on my way to work in midtown, that won't prevent me from living my life either. I live my life well aware of what happens in the world, but I live my life nonetheless, as most in the world do.
Scare tactics... I'm not trying to scare anyone. Drug dealing, robbery, broken families, these are common problems in the South Bronx that effect the communities. Everyone.

If someone does not like the idea of having to look twice over their shoulder. Verbal harrassment, everyday good risk of robbery, and staring at poverty, Mott Haven is not for them.

Quote:
10-Hustla I disagree that I will never know what you know...as I have lived in Mott Haven as long, if not longer than you. However, what I will say is that I will never think the way you do and will not make the choices you have made or continue to make. I do not try to inspire undeserved fear and scare tactics to keep people away, nor do I disregard the hard work and accomplishments that those within the borough, and outside the borough are doing to to make it a better place.
You will never know what I know until you wake up. Even then you will not see what I have seen in that community day in day out now or when I lived there years ago.

Again, no scare tactics, what is wrong with you. Drug dealing, gangs, violent crime, are you saying these things are not common in Mott Haven? They are very common. It's the ghetto.

Quote:
I am happy there are new parks, new faces, new ideas, new building, new investments, new amenities, new life in this borough. You will never be able to see what is happening otuside of your housing project Hustla....the Bronx is improving...I don't understand why you choose not to see it, try to scare people away who can help make the borough better, and actively participate in its renaissance. It only takes one person...
Read above, your hopeless.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:52 PM

The bottom line is that I post in threads that touch on the Bronx, especially the Bronx, as well as post my point of view where is appropriate or where it provides a different point of view or further information. It happens that you post in the Bronx as well, and we have differing opinion often so I will post a response. It has nothing to do with you, except that you post, what I believe to be, grossly unfair assessments of NYC, the Bronx, and the areas of Mott Haven in particular, so as a result I post another viewpoint.

That is the purpose of these threads, to talk, discuss, and provoke thought and share ideas and opinions. If you cannot handle differing viewpoints to yours, maybe you should reconsider posting in a debate forum.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
The bottom line is that I post in threads that touch on the Bronx, especially the Bronx, as well as post my point of view where is appropriate or where it provides a different point of view or further information. It happens that you post in the Bronx as well, and we have differing opinion often so I will post a response. It has nothing to do with you, except that you post, what I believe to be, grossly unfair assessments of NYC, the Bronx, and the areas of Mott Haven in particular, so as a result I post another viewpoint.

That is the purpose of these threads, to talk, discuss, and provoke thought and share ideas and opinions. If you cannot handle differing viewpoints to yours, maybe you should reconsider posting in a debate forum.
It's not about differing opinion. Like I said you are hyping things up.

Again, this is your typical post:

"Mott Haven is great! Yes it has it's problems but it's 1000 times better then it was!"

This is a LIE. I wouldn't even say that about the LES of Manhattan, maybe Times Square.

Here is what should be said.

"Although Mott Haven still suffers from many social ills, things are being done to improve the situation for the current residents. However, much more needs to be done to make this a desirable area. It is still a low income ghetto."

Much more accurate and realistic.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:22 PM

Again, because I provide a more positive view on Mott Haven, it is hyping it up? If someone does not subscribe to your doom and gloom then they cannot possibly be speaking the truth? Is that what you would have us all believe? Your way, your view, and that's it? It's not possible to have a different perspective? Let's be reasonable.

If you look back on my posts you will never see that quote come from me, as the crux of my argument is exactly what you posted: " Although Mott Haven still suffers from many social ills, things are being done to improve the situation for the current residents. However, much more needs to be done to make this a desirable area. It is still a low income ghetto."

This is an about face from your typical doom and gloom of "what's the point it will never change" and "things are getting worse not better" and "it will never get better." Why the change in attitude?

I am glad that you can be more reasonable and say that the area is being improved. Unfortunately, we are now in agreement..but I am confident we will find other stuff to disagree about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City