Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:57 PM

6 posts, read 48,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivera View Post
wow, there sure is a lot of arguing here lol! well, guywithacause, i LOVE mott haven! lived there for a long ass time! sure, it's got it's problems, but a lot of low income areas do. nothings perfect. but there are plenty of families (whether 1 or 2 parents households) who work very hard to afford the things they have and to do better in life. i did. i made it to college. and graduated. but like any area, you just have to be aware of your surroundings. not every corner is a crack haven. never been stabbed, shot or dragged down the street. been in fights, but that's stuff that spilled over from h.s. or the building. but it's changing (the area) and it's been changing for a while. the more rundown buildings are being torn down and new condo's and co-ops are being built, even with little yards and iron fences! and it's no where NEAR as bas as it used to be in the late 70's and early 80's, where every other building was boarded up. those were some rough days. i commend u guy on buying your spot, cuz that does help the community get better. it's been proven that people who own take better care of their stuff. and as more and more people buy, the community gets better. also, to iroth, that barrio is not THAT bad. no matter what city or where in that city, people ALWAYS need to keep their eyes open. just don't be looking all shook, cuz like guy said, people will see that and pounce. but that's the same in any place. good luck with the interview.
I know the area and it hasn't changed much at all. It's still very poor, run down and crime is still a big problem. Those are three of the biggest problems in that neighborhood and have been for decades. Yes there are good people and there always has been but it is not a good place to live. Just because you never got robbed doesn't mean it's a nice neighborhood. It's the ghetto. Drugs are sold in every building in that place and I only know of like maybe one or two coops in the area. Everything I have seen is the usual renovated buildings full of section 8 people. The new houses are rentals and many of the new residents are on section 8. APV is correct and I share his opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 08:11 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,984,592 times
Arivera..unlike MOST people I have spoken to on here...I don't just sit on the sidelines and dismiss entire swaths of the city as unlivable or a cesspool of garbage. That attitude is what has fueled the areas decline in the first place, and has helped them languish for as long as they have. I put my money where my mouth is...I invest and improve places, while others choose to criticize, dismiss, and perpetuate the cycle of disinvestment and isolation. We already know that doesn't work..but they keep selling the same story....a wheel in motion tends to stay in motion after all.

The area IS improving and changing, but many on here won't acknowledge that because they will only see the 1982 beat up Honda parked on the street and not the new 3 family $600,000 homes built behind it. They will only see the graffiti on a building and not the new cafe across the street. They will only see the same old homeys hanging out on the corner, but not the new park down the block. They will only see the garbage on the streets, but not the cleaned up Bronx River that grassroots organizations have spent years doing. They will only see the HS school kids with their foul mouths, but not the community organizers who have rebuilt entire swaths of the area, and continue to rebuild the area for middle and moderate income NYC residents, the backbone of the city.

It's all your preception...neither is wrong...but the glass is half full for me and filling...whereas others see the glass as always half empty and any attempt at trying to improve or change the area are laughed at and ridiculed...because..."its just ghetto." However, I, along with community activists, elected officials, companies, businesses, and individuals, are making the changes that are having dramatic effects on the community..and making the Bronx a better place.

Will it ever be Williamsburg? Nope...I sure hope not at least. There are plenty of "hip" and high income communities out there....the Bronx is not chasing that market. They are transforming the borough back into the resource of affordable/quality housing it has always been for middle/moderate income families seeking more space, and an easy commute to NYC. Instead of the dumping ground for the poor, the Bronx is now being repositioned as an INCLUSIVE borough where the poor, moderate, middle, and upper middle classes live, including areas like Mott Haven, Melrose, and Concourse, where as the other boroughs pride themselves on EXCLUSION.

Areas like Mott Haven still have crime issues, however it IS improving, and anyone that does not understand HOW it has improved, and continues to improve is simply unaware of the changes in the community, or merely chooses to see whatever they want to. It's easy to dismiss an area when all you read is negativity, or when you drive by on the Bruckner and see towering housing projects, or drive down the streets and see the homeyz, and profess 'nothing has changed." But as a longtime resident, the reality is that it has changed dramatically and continues to do so.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:14 AM

33,428 posts, read 46,858,020 times
dont get me wrong mott haven has changed dramatically but its still a piece of crap, just not as crappy as before lol

Old 01-22-2008, 08:33 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,984,592 times
Lol...that made me laugh....it is a less smelly piece of crap!

Old 02-05-2008, 02:45 PM

307 posts, read 2,505,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
The funny part is I didn't even post once in this thread. Keep my name out your mouth. That area has it's problems but no one said he was guarenteed dead. Yes there is a real risk of robbery for example but it is not guarenteed. Why? Many other people have been robbed on that strip. So the risk is very real.

You exaggerate things in your own head and you have little knowledge about the Bronx and it's problems. It's pretty sad. Your limited to what you read in the New York Times.

I agree. I used to live 138th st. & 3rd ave, right on Alexander ave. I didnt really like the area, but people from the PJs kept it friendly with me, and so did I. Nobody bothered me. But I knew the South BX shouldnt be underrate.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:51 PM

6 posts, read 24,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangerintown View Post
Hello All.

I plan to travel to the Bronx this weekend from PA and I know nothing about NY. I am going to catch the 6 train from Manhattan and getting off at 177th Street. I need to get to Bruckner Blvd. What neighborhood is this in? Should I be concerned about walking alone especially now that it's getting dark early? I went on line to get a feel for the surroundings and I read some pretty disturbing info. I'd like to know what I have to look forward to before I get there. Please help.
This area is not the South Bronx #6 train 177th Street. I use to live one stop over Castle Hill from the time I was born to 2007. It's a descent area. Not all of the Bronx is bad and on section 8 . Also their are some hard working respectable people on section 8 just because you are on it does not mean that you are a low life and that's what white people yes I said it think.

Ok I am going to list some of the yukkie parts of the Bronx - South Bronx which is Huts point area 3rd Ave 138th street shopping area and surrounding area by Yankee stadium 161 street & grand concourse Fordham road shopping area & grand concourse Mott Haven area Baychester area. Just to name a few.

Last edited by katiessmom; 02-05-2008 at 03:23 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 05:32 PM

4 posts, read 9,795 times
the Bronx has a lot potential I live right near all the new buildings going up, St. anns terrace, the orion, dakota etc... in and around melrose ave. I live here with my girlfriend who grew up when it was burned out and abandoned, we have seen the many changes going on. We hope the community becomes more diverse and more gets invested. I read in a previous forum someone saying the bronx has no potential housing wise,

heres a few I think have potential if you think about similar buildings in brooklyn. You can google map these and use street view to stroll through the neighborhood without actually going. Just use a little imagination, a coffee shop here, chain a few fixed gear bikes, throw in a few hundred flower boxes, scatter some hipster mustaches and there you have it! Potential! And for the nay sayers do you remember alphabet city before it became what it is today? Redhook with it’s poor transit accessibility? Or maybe fort greene? Oh wait you probably weren’t a full fledged “New Yorker” then.

Try and look above the street level some of these buildings have a lot of beautiful details.

E 156th st and Kelly st.
Dawson st. between Longwood ave. and 156th st.
Building on the corner of east 151st. and courtland ave.
Red building on the corner of Brook ave. and e 148th st.
St Anns ave. And e 139thst. (the building with the park on one side and church on the other side)
St Anns ave. And E 138thst.
E 139th st. between Brook ave. and willis ave.
Alexander ave. Between 141 st and 138th st.
Walton ave. and E 150th st.
Walton ave. between 153 st. and 158th st.
158th st and Trinity ave.
Forest ave. and 166th st. (opposite of the PJ’s, doesn’t matter in Brooklyn so why not here)
Jackson ave. between Home st. and 166th. St
Corner of 168th and boston rd.
Tinton ave. between 168th and 169th st.
Beekman ave. and St marys st.

Also check out/google:
St marys park
P.S. 27 (look at the detailing around the windows and entry way)
149th st. between brook ave. and Bergen ave. ( look above the street level)
12-story tower on East 149th between 3rd and Courtlandt.
The Busher and Harvey Buildings, East 149th Street
The Dollar Savings Bank at Third and East 147th
The Janes and Kirtland buildings
Van Courtland park .
Crotona park.
The courthouse Third and Brook Avenues and East 161st Street (you have to see it in person)
The Bronx couthouse adjacent to Yankees stadium.
East 136th Street, between Willis Avenue and Brown Place
Grand Concourse from 149th to about Kingsbridge ave.
Bruckner Blvd from willis ave. to the 3rd ave bridge.

Last notes:
It only takes me 30 minutes to get to Tribeca where I work.
We have access to both the east and west side.
The FDR and the west side highway are just a short bridge away.
We are right across from all the Uptown neighborhoods in manhattan which seem to be getting more and more gentrified every day.
The city is building a greenway bike route here in SoBro that will connect to randalls island, can't wait.

People just need to stop forgetting history, this neighborhood was once a farm that became homes for the rich, neighborhoods transition and if you’ve been in NY since before 2000 you definitely know what I mean.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,694 times
The South Bronx is becoming a re-gentrified neighborhood just like Harlem, you have to be careful where ever you are in New York City. With the new stores on Third Avenue, the new schools and the brand new developements being erected, the neighborhood demographics are going to change as well. Many people have heard negative "stereotypes" for years and continue to perpetuate what they've heard. But if you continue through life based on what you heard and don't explore and find out things for yourself, you're in a bad place in life. I like to hear people say I heard and confirmed what I heard, that carries a little more credibility for me. All this to say, I am one of those people who heard negative things about the "Barrio" of the South Bronx, but after seeing the changes for myself, I am comfortable in the neighborhood and feel safe during the hours that I pass through.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:09 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,322,447 times
I can't say it is necessarily becoming regentrified, but it is becoming revitalized. It is being repositioned for the middle class, with large swaths of the area literally rebuilt brick by brick. Melrose is the epicenter of all things affordable housing, and it has become the model for NYC and other communities across the country.

It is definitely in a transition, and how it will all play out is anyone's guess, but clearly it is being repositioned for the middle class.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:55 AM

110 posts, read 221,424 times
Excuse my Bronx ignorance, I haven't a clue as to the dividing line between the South Bronx and other parts of the borough but is there anywhere in the South Bronx that a tourist like me should visit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City