Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 6,521 times

Advertisements

Hey Folks,

I just got ticketed last night for jumping the turnstiles. I had, literally, just minutes before refilled my seven day unlimited MetroCard. I swiped several times at one turnstile, with "SWIPE AGAIN THIS TURNSTILE" and after the fifth attempt or so, I tried the turnstile next to it and got "JUST USED" I wasn't about to wait 18 minutes in the middle of the night, and I had paid for the right to enter so I jumped the turnstile. I was immediately was stopped by a cop who was going to write a ticket no matter what. (I assume they probably just have a blanket policy of writing tickets in all cases and letting the TAB sort it out)

Usually in these sorts of situations, you can go talk to the agent in the booth, but it was a large station and there was no booth at my entrance. I had no idea where the booth actually was or how to find it.

So it's $100, I don't think it's right and I'm going to send in a statement of facts, the MetroCard number and some of the credit card details I used to buy the card for hearing by mail. I have to get my statement notarized though, which I believe costs money... So before I do that, I'm curious if anyone has had any luck in getting the fines dropped in situations like this. Also, if anyone knows of a cheap notary public near Union Square, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 01:45 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
1) You should have kept it at until it worked. It will eventually work.

2) All notaries are ridiculously affordable. A few bucks at the most.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:53 PM

147 posts, read 370,204 times
All notaries are pretty cheap

Old 11-26-2012, 01:54 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
TD Bank at 5th & 14th should have a notary on duty, not to mention expanded hours. If you are an account holder, the service is free, but the charges are nominal if you are not a customer.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-26-2012, 02:16 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
The irony of your story, is that the notary is probably gonna cost you more than if you'd paid for another fare.

If you swipped your metrocard and then jumped the turnstile you 'might' successfully dispute it. I don't know how that will work out for you.
The cop can claim (not saying he will) you swiped somebody else and then jumped it. It might be your word against the cops, unless video recordings (if any) are presented as evidence.

It not a guaranteed win, but I would certainly give it a shot.

Last edited by likeminas; 11-26-2012 at 02:33 PM..

Old 11-26-2012, 02:26 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
You can get it notarized, But is still going to cost you time and money regardless fighting it vs. If you had just sprung the $2.50, Cursed the machine and made your way to a booth to get it checked. Since jumping the turnstile is a minor crime in itself you are not likely to win.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:58 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I don't have a solution, but you do have my sympathies. I've been grousing about the unreliability of the metrocard system, coupled with non-existent booths.

By the way, most banks have free notaries.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Send the facts in- ultimately though as the law is written if the machines malfunction, you ultimately cannot ride, even if you paid.

If you purchased a large metrocard, just call the Credit Card up and start a dispute- say you paid x dollars for your card, it didn't work, and recoup some of your costs there.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
People are saying "just pay another fare" but the issue is that even if willing, he would have had to wait 18 minutes to do it...an eternity while standing in front of a turnstile.

Fight it, the judge will see it your way. It's just a shame that this ENDLESS moronic MTA service is allowed to continue and the riding and PAYING public must continue to be abused by filthy trains, filthy tracks, filthy stations, raucus panhandling, defective machinery, dimwitted highly paid cops who behave like automatons, and service not worthy of the Toonerville Trolley.

Has a smelly panhandling vagrant or a group of noisy breakdancer wannabes ever been given a ticket?

After all these years even fixing something as stupid as the endless "Swipe Again At This Turnstile" cannot be fixed indicates that a tribe of baboons would do a better job running the transportation system.

Last edited by Kefir King; 11-27-2012 at 07:22 AM..

Old 11-27-2012, 08:43 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdub View Post
Hey Folks,

I just got ticketed last night for jumping the turnstiles. I had, literally, just minutes before refilled my seven day unlimited MetroCard. I swiped several times at one turnstile, with "SWIPE AGAIN THIS TURNSTILE" and after the fifth attempt or so, I tried the turnstile next to it and got "JUST USED" I wasn't about to wait 18 minutes in the middle of the night, and I had paid for the right to enter so I jumped the turnstile. I was immediately was stopped by a cop who was going to write a ticket no matter what. (I assume they probably just have a blanket policy of writing tickets in all cases and letting the TAB sort it out)

Usually in these sorts of situations, you can go talk to the agent in the booth, but it was a large station and there was no booth at my entrance. I had no idea where the booth actually was or how to find it.

So it's $100, I don't think it's right and I'm going to send in a statement of facts, the MetroCard number and some of the credit card details I used to buy the card for hearing by mail. I have to get my statement notarized though, which I believe costs money... So before I do that, I'm curious if anyone has had any luck in getting the fines dropped in situations like this. Also, if anyone knows of a cheap notary public near Union Square, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
The police officer c/h used discretion, and he probably did. EVERYBODY has a *story*! Yours isn't special nor unique. It is NOT the officer's job to *judge* or make any determination. It is his job to simply cite the infraction. Which he did.

It is your responsibility to explain your defense to a Court and it is the Court's responsibility to judge and determine.

This is the legal system. So, there s/b no animosity toward the officer, who was simply doing what he is charged to do, his job.

The way you intend upon handling things is precise and correct.

The cost of a notary is nominal, from nothing to a few bucks. If you work in a business office, it is likely one of your coworkers is a Notary Public. Notaries are suppposed to actually *know* the individual they are endorsing, but proper ID s/b sufficient.

Btw, there is usually signage giving direction to subway booths, as well as the hours of operation. Just have to look around. Finding the booth is a lot less hassle in the end. Plus, by the time you find it the 18 minute limit will likely have expired!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: