Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 02:26 PM

26 posts, read 30,651 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to NY or NJ with my brother from Europe. We plan to run a resturant bussiness in manhattan. We have 200k -250k budget to buy a home. Can be an apartment or an house.

Must not be more than 30 mile away from the manhattan midtown.

We want a location with less crime, a good neighbour hood..

Could you please advice?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by GlanBoy; 11-26-2012 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 02:39 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Your budget seems quite low....

In NYC you 'might' get a studio or 1br apt for that much.

Is this a cash purchase?
If not, how are you gonna get a loan?

What country are you coming from ?

Please do a search in this forum for VERY similar questions.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:43 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
Is your total budget $200-$250k? Or is this what you expect to put down as a down payment? Please note that closing costs in NYC are substantially higher than many expect and that financing may be difficult for non-US residents.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Your budget seems quite low....

In NYC you 'might' get a studio or 1br apt for that much.

Is this a cash purchase?
If not, how are you gonna get a loan?

What country are you coming from ?

Please do a search in this forum for VERY similar questions.

Hello,

I was in NYC couple of days ago. I tried to make some reasearch but my time was not enough.

We plan to pay all in cash.. We come form Turkey. We plan to open a Greek & Turkish Resturant or takeover one.. so I don't wanna spend alot of money on a real estate I knew budget was too low for a house but we may stay in2 br. studio.

Total Budget for a real estate is 200 - 250k cash.

Neighbourhood must be good though. Preferably white people. (Please no offense)

Old 11-26-2012, 02:59 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlanBoy View Post
Hello,

I was in NYC couple of days ago. I tried to make some reasearch but my time was not enough.

We plan to pay all in cash.. We come form Turkey. We plan to open a Greek & Turkish Resturant or takeover one.. so I don't wanna spend alot of money on a real estate I knew budget was too low for a house but we may stay in2 br. studio.

Gotta love it!

At least it's not one of those "... is the [insert name of ungentrified hood] neighborhood SAFE for cheap, naive and unrealistic white females who cannot afford NYC but must live there anyway?" threads ...

At any rate, GlanBoy, perhaps you and your brother should start off renting and getting to know areas and then commit to buying once you find a neighborhood you like and you can afford. Your budget is pretty low for a 2 bedroom apartment in a good neighborhood in the 5 boroughs of NYC. Maybe you should post your question on the New Jersey board.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:03 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Quote:
Hello,

Turkey, a muslim country in the heart of the middle-east is considered part of Europe now?

It's not clear to me, wether you're talking about a 2br -this is out of the question for your budget, IMO- or a studio aparment (studio = single room).

You might get a studio with your budget, but definitely not a 2br in a 'good neighborhood'

Old 11-26-2012, 03:11 PM

393 posts, read 783,009 times
Quote:
Hello,

What's a 2 br. studio? A studio is no bedrooms..it's just one big room with a bathroom. You won't find what you are looking for in that budget. That's low. Good neighborhoods cost a lot of money. While there are some predominantly white neighborhoods, you'll have to get used to a lot of diversity. For most of us, that's a perk of living here.

Anyway, why don't you rent?? Why do you have to buy? Considering that you are from another country and know very little about the neighborhoods and are about to open a new business in a foreign country, buying just doesn't make any sense.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:15 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I would suggest networking through some Turks who have already come here and settled and opened restaurants or stores to get your questions answered. I know there are some in Astoria, Queens (very near Manhattan) . Turkish Astoria, Queens, NY

You could find an apartment for $250K in a neighborhood 30 minutes from Manhattan in Queens, but the apartment will be a coop, not a condo and you really need to understand what the difference is before going forward with a purchase. Also, you can expect to have to pay $600/month or more in maintenance costs (this includes real estate taxes). I live in a neighborhood where you could find coop apartments in the $250K range and 30 minutes to Midtown, however, it's about 60% immigrant and therefore not very white (lots of Latinos, Southeast Asians, Asians, etc.) Jackson Heights Queens Coop Listings

Old 11-26-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Turkey, a muslim country in the heart of the middle-east is considered part of Europe now?

It's not clear to me, wether you're talking about a 2br -this is out of the question for your budget, IMO- or a studio aparment (studio = single room).

You might get a studio with your budget, but definitely not a 2br in a 'good neighborhood'

Turkey is a not a muslim country. It is a secular democracy with major muslim population. There is no offical religion and I am from Istanbul, Open a map and check Istanbul on map, you will notice it is in Europe Continent.

Ignorant

Old 11-26-2012, 03:34 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,461 times
Turkey is an Asian country with 99% Muslims. However, Istanbul is a city located in two continents - Europe and Asia.

Greek and Turkish restaurant? I don't think they get along with each other because the Turks murdered millions of Christian Armenians, Assyrians, and Greeks during Ottoman Empire i WWI. Turkey denies it, and its a crime if anyone admit the genocide in Turkey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City