Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:21 AM

393 posts, read 780,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Lawyer said he will contact the attorney as soon as I am served with any kind of notice to inform him that it's next to impossible to expect me to move by January 1st being that it is a holiday and since apartments on Staten Island are scarce after the storm.

He also said he will order a copy of the deed to the property to see if the wife even has any kind of rights to evict me (meaning that the property might not even be in her name). It might buy me some more time. Times like this I am glad I am a paralegal and work for lawyers.

Meanwhile, I am looking and hoping for the best.
Make sure that you always have a one or a two-year lease to prevent this in the future. Month-to-month leases give you absolutely no stability. You pretty much have to keep moving money in your bank at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:30 AM

3,073 posts, read 5,478,781 times
Yes, I know. To tell you the truth, I don't even want to rent anymore, I am looking to save up to buy but not in NY. Renting is not for me.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,334,841 times
Even if you have a month-to-month lease, you can still have plenty of time to find a place. The LL may want the apt by 1/1/13, but that means nothing. You can buy yourself time, a couple months easily, so don't sweat it too much. Ultimately though you will have to move, and you will incur legal fees and lose your deposit, and if you choose not to pay rent during the eviction period, it can ding your credit also.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Yes, I know. To tell you the truth, I don't even want to rent anymore, I am looking to save up to buy but not in NY. Renting is not for me.
I feel you. I've had my share of greedy landlords and incredibly inconsiderate neighbors. I don't want to move out of NY though and I can't afford to buy, so I'm stuck. Moving in NYC is the biggest hassle ever. It's expensive, annoying and nerve-racking. Hate it!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
I feel you. I've had my share of greedy landlords and incredibly inconsiderate neighbors. I don't want to move out of NY though and I can't afford to buy, so I'm stuck. Moving in NYC is the biggest hassle ever. It's expensive, annoying and nerve-racking. Hate it!
It sure is. My nerves are so shot. And boy was this a wake up call. No more frivolous spending for me.

I am so paranoid about having bad/loud/inconsiderate neighbors. I felt so lucky where I am because it's nice and peaceful. Now that's all over.

I lived in a noisy apartment once and it's just awful and takes its toll on you. And what's with all the landlords and their restrictions?? i have one cat and it's so hard to find someone that accepts pets. They basically want a corpse to live there that has money to give them each month.

I'm so fed up. Something has to give.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:55 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,334,841 times
The reason LLs have so many restrictions is because tenants are irresponsible. Landlords usually don't take pets because people let dogs ****/$hit in the house/bark all day, chew up the apt, etc. Cats scratch up the corners of walls, mark all over the house, and the stink of week old (or more) of filthy litter boxes can fill the entire building. Fish tanks? Not those either...you know how many "accidentally" fall over and flood the apt or cause massive leaks to lower apts? See the problem here?

For the record though, I will take a tenant with a pet way before I take a tenant with kids. And for those smart LLs who understand NYC laws, they should too.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
It sure is. My nerves are so shot. And boy was this a wake up call. No more frivolous spending for me.

I am so paranoid about having bad/loud/inconsiderate neighbors. I felt so lucky where I am because it's nice and peaceful. Now that's all over.

I lived in a noisy apartment once and it's just awful and takes its toll on you. And what's with all the landlords and their restrictions?? i have one cat and it's so hard to find someone that accepts pets. They basically want a corpse to live there that has money to give them each month.

I'm so fed up. Something has to give.
I totally get what you are saying. Here is my rent history in the last 2 and a half a years alone.

1. Moved into an apartment and had to break my lease less than a year later because landlord moved a mentally disturbed neighbor who howled and screamed inhuman sounds into the apartment next to me. I have anxiety and sleep problems, and let me tell you insane howling that went directly into my bedroom window and rattled the walls day and night was the worst living situation I could've ever imagined.

2. Moved to an apartment that I loved and paid a huge brokers fee thinking that it'd be worth it in the long run because I planned to live there for the foreseeable future. Stupid mistake, one year later and I have a new landlord who won't renew anyone's leases because he wants to gut the building and flip it for double the profit.

3. Spent 2 months trying to find an apartment that I won't have to move from again in a year. So far it's okay. I specifically looked for a place that didn't have a neighbor next to the bedroom wall. Couldn't avoid the noise altogether. My next door neighbor has a weird schedule. The walls are so thin that when he plays music it might as well be coming out of my stereo. But it's more livable than my other 2 situations..for now.

I also had hell trying to find a place that will let me get a tiny dog. I don't have one yet, but I wanted to have that option in the future when I was ready. When I would ask brokers (vultures) if the place was pet-friendly, they would pretty much scream NO! WHAT?? DO YOU HAVE A PET?? BUT I ASKED YOU AND YOU SAID NO? NO PETS NO PETS. I'm not even kidding. You'd think I was asking if I can move in with a tiger. I've lived in a couple of places that have allowed pets, and I never once have been disturbed by cats or dogs. I've always, however, had inconsiderate neighbors who acted like they were living in a single house in the middle of the woods and not an apartment in the city with close proximity to other people who sometimes like to sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The reason LLs have so many restrictions is because tenants are irresponsible. Landlords usually don't take pets because people let dogs ****/$hit in the house/bark all day, chew up the apt, etc. Cats scratch up the corners of walls, mark all over the house, and the stink of week old (or more) of filthy litter boxes can fill the entire building. Fish tanks? Not those either...you know how many "accidentally" fall over and flood the apt or cause massive leaks to lower apts? See the problem here?

For the record though, I will take a tenant with a pet way before I take a tenant with kids. And for those smart LLs who understand NYC laws, they should too.
I get what you are saying, but at the same time paying a huge amount in rent and not being able to get a tiny pet is ridiculous. If you have people with several good NYC landlord references and solid backgrounds, not approving them because they have a small pet or a child is a loss in my opinion. There are plenty of pet owners and parents who are responsible. They shouldn't be punished for the behavior of bad tenants, and you can tell them apart by their applications/references. Last building I lived in was pet friendly and they had a detailed screening process. The place was always clean, and I never heard barking.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:52 PM

81 posts, read 175,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Have you tried to convince her to make the OTHER tenant move out for her soon to be ex-husband? Perhaps offer her a little more rent?
Please mention this to your LL! If you do a forum search I was in pretty much the same situation a few months back (LL wanted apt. for her daughter), and we successfully managed to stay by convincing the LL to kick out the downstairs neighbors instead. All it took was a little bit of extra $$.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceecee09 View Post
Please mention this to your LL! If you do a forum search I was in pretty much the same situation a few months back (LL wanted apt. for her daughter), and we successfully managed to stay by convincing the LL to kick out the downstairs neighbors instead. All it took was a little bit of extra $$.

Well the downstairs neighbor is a good friend of mine (I am the reason she is in that apartment, she moved in about a year after me) whose daughter that lived there too died about a year ago. She just got laid off as well. I think she's been through enough, I wouldn't feel right trying to kick her out. I feel like Karma would get me in the end anyway. I did text my landlord several days ago and asked her if I paid more in rent, could we stay. She never answered.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
I totally get what you are saying. Here is my rent history in the last 2 and a half a years alone.

1. Moved into an apartment and had to break my lease less than a year later because landlord moved a mentally disturbed neighbor who howled and screamed inhuman sounds into the apartment next to me. I have anxiety and sleep problems, and let me tell you insane howling that went directly into my bedroom window and rattled the walls day and night was the worst living situation I could've ever imagined.

2. Moved to an apartment that I loved and paid a huge brokers fee thinking that it'd be worth it in the long run because I planned to live there for the foreseeable future. Stupid mistake, one year later and I have a new landlord who won't renew anyone's leases because he wants to gut the building and flip it for double the profit.

3. Spent 2 months trying to find an apartment that I won't have to move from again in a year. So far it's okay. I specifically looked for a place that didn't have a neighbor next to the bedroom wall. Couldn't avoid the noise altogether. My next door neighbor has a weird schedule. The walls are so thin that when he plays music it might as well be coming out of my stereo. But it's more livable than my other 2 situations..for now.

I also had hell trying to find a place that will let me get a tiny dog. I don't have one yet, but I wanted to have that option in the future when I was ready. When I would ask brokers (vultures) if the place was pet-friendly, they would pretty much scream NO! WHAT?? DO YOU HAVE A PET?? BUT I ASKED YOU AND YOU SAID NO? NO PETS NO PETS. I'm not even kidding. You'd think I was asking if I can move in with a tiger. I've lived in a couple of places that have allowed pets, and I never once have been disturbed by cats or dogs. I've always, however, had inconsiderate neighbors who acted like they were living in a single house in the middle of the woods and not an apartment in the city with close proximity to other people who sometimes like to sleep.

I get what you are saying, but at the same time paying a huge amount in rent and not being able to get a tiny pet is ridiculous. If you have people with several good NYC landlord references and solid backgrounds, not approving them because they have a small pet or a child is a loss in my opinion. There are plenty of pet owners and parents who are responsible. They shouldn't be punished for the behavior of bad tenants, and you can tell them apart by their applications/references. Last building I lived in was pet friendly and they had a detailed screening process. The place was always clean, and I never heard barking.
It's so true. My cat is basically a living stuffed animal. He eats, sleeps, plays and that's about it. The only time he scratched a wall was when he had nothing to scratch and I purchased him a little scratching board and now that's what he uses to scratch. He's wonderful.

Wow, you have been through the ringer too. I have anxiety and sleep issues as well. My first apartment was a first floor studio in a private house and the landlord above me would have his twenty million grandkids over every day and they would jump and pound on my ceiling. It sounded like the would come through. Can't tell you how many fights I got into with that man. That's why I would never want a first floor again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: