Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 01:03 PM

917 posts, read 2,000,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt00926 View Post
If by "live it up" you mean live paycheck to paycheck so you can live in a closet with a Manhattan zip code, then sure, go for it. At 22 you should be spending your money on going out, not on rent. That's the point of living in Manhattan, which he won't be able to do with that income level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Where does he say he'll have a job in the financial services industry ? I missed that part apparently.

And why are the outer botroughts crap? Please elaborate on that.

I personally know several guys who work in the Wall St area but prefer to live in Brooklyn or Queens to get more bang for their buck. The guy in Brooklyn, btw, has a better commute than most of his co-workers who live in Manhattan.
I agree. Why spend money in the city where you'll have to have a roommate or a tiny studio when you can get more space in the outer boroughs.

I don't think manhattan is crap but I think it's a waste of money if you aren't rich. Groceries and just about everything else is more money in manhattan too. I understand the appeal to be near your job if you work in the city but you can get much more space in the other boroughs. I'm probably biased because I'm a bk girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 01:42 PM

76 posts, read 205,972 times
But that "more" space still probably isnt much space either.

Whats the marginal benefit living in an outer borough with "more" but still probably a low amount of space compared to being in Manhattan and in the life of the city?

Old 11-28-2012, 02:04 PM

917 posts, read 2,000,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica12 View Post
But that "more" space still probably isnt much space either.

Whats the marginal benefit living in an outer borough with "more" but still probably a low amount of space compared to being in Manhattan and in the life of the city?
I think there is difference in the space. I had a friend that had a studio in manhattan and another friend that had a 1bdrm in Bk and I'm sure they were paying about the same price.

It's really a personal preference. As far as being in the city I wouldn't mind driving or riding the subway to the city to enjoy the nightlife.

I wouldn't be happy with roommates or a small space. It's really up to you and what you're willing to sacrifice. To each it's own.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:26 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,992,142 times
The guy is looking around midtown and said he wants a lot of activity walkable around him. Instead for some reason the majority of people here are pointing him at outer boroughs for space for dollar. You guys are not answering his question.

The hippest parts of Brooklyn won't work for him like for someone working in the Wall St. area.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:30 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,992,142 times
> Where does he say he'll have a job in the financial services industry ?

That's how you make $70,000 1-yr out of college. Well, that and software engineer.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:11 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,608,891 times
When I was graduating from college in 2007 new graduates were being hired as general business "consultants" making very good money. Is that racket still going on, or did the crash kill it off? I hope the latter.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:22 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,889,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post

That's how you make $70,000 1-yr out of college. Well, that and software engineer.
I suggest you play the lotto tonight.
You might guess the winning numbers too!

Old 11-28-2012, 04:50 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,314,940 times
Quote:

There are other industries that pay that amount. "Junior" analysts at my company can make about $60K-$70K. I don't work in finance.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:00 PM

76 posts, read 205,972 times
Yea I will work in that industry, but still.. I'd prefer to hang around other types of people.

Where do all the PR, fashion, marketing, etc. girls tend to live?

Old 11-28-2012, 05:08 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,314,940 times
Quote:
The guy is looking around midtown and said he wants a lot of activity walkable around him. Instead for some reason the majority of people here are pointing him at outer boroughs for space for dollar. You guys are not answering his question.

The hippest parts of Brooklyn won't work for him like for someone working in the Wall St. area.

I have to agree. I'm all for more space outside of Manhattan and would never want to live in a 300 sq foot box but the OP clearly says he wants to live in Manhattan. If that's what he wants, why try and direct him to Queens or Brooklyn? At 22 and wanting to be in the midst of all the action, I'm sure the emphasis is not on having a big apartment. Matter of fact, I can bet he will not be spending much time at home. Between work and going out, I'm sure the focus isn't on staying at home. Being older and more settled, I would never want to live like that, but when you're first on your own and you're making your own money, it's a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City