Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:21 PM

564 posts, read 1,726,897 times

Advertisements

Why, thank you. I try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 09:07 PM

3 posts, read 9,950 times
Smile Many thanks!

Hi again,

Many, many thanks for such wonderful and helpful information, especially from Elvira. I will definitely be checking out the NY Times real estate section. The other websites will also be good to check out and I'll surely do that. Lots of computer time needed, so thank goodness for the web!

I'm not sure about the exact amount of money we'll be earning but I think it'll be pretty good when we both are working. While my husband's name and physical features are definitely Irish, now I'm not so sure that Woodlawn is for us, from what some of you have said. I will definitely do some research on Brooklyn - my Mum visited there in July and she LOVED it. We live in a "top 10 priced" suburb in an Australian capital city which is populated by lawyers, doctors, media people, educators and realtors, so Woodlawn might be a bit out of our comfort zone - but that's what travel and moving to a new city (especially NYC!) is all about, so I won't dismiss it just yet. And having access to Brit-style fish and chips, pies and scones is a bonus!

At this stage, we're keen to experience a new job and way of life, save some money to pay off our own house and see some of the USA without having to fly for 15 hours from Australia every time we want to go there! So, for now, we're happy to rent a house/apartment and would probably think about spending $2000/month, maybe a bit more, on rent. Would that get us a 3-bed place? I know we could afford Manhattan but it would be more sensible for us to rent elsewhere and save more money. Plus my friends would think I have a 'Sex and the City' complex and would be so totally jealous!!!!!

You've all given me so much food for thought and I appreciate it, I really do. Any more advice is very gratefully received!

Old 10-15-2007, 11:29 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
If you can't afford Manhattan I would reccomend looking into Northern Brooklyn. This area is really popular at the moment. Park Slope in particular is popular with families.

If you want to move to Westchester many towns would fit your bill (i.e. with lots of Professionals). Scarsdale and Bronxville are probably the ritziest in Westchester County. Other towns that are really nice are places like Tarrytown, Rye, Larchmont, Tuckahoe, Eastchester, and Pelham.

$2,000 is going to be a stretch anywhere in the area for a 3bedroom place. Even in Woodlawn 3brs go for around $1,500 - $1,800. You're probably going to either have to settle for a 2br or budget a lot more for rent.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:37 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,332 times
You might look into Riverdale in the Bronx if you want to rent a 3 bedroom house. It's just a tad north of Woodlawn (and south of Westchester?, which is not in NYC proper) and is quite upscale, though some areas are more exclusive than others. I seem to remember seeing some surprisingly good deals for 3 beds listed there--though they may be two-family homes and you would get a floor-through, I guess. Riverdale (as well as other towns mead mentioned) are accessible by Metro North, I think and as far as I know are all by the Hudson River. You might need a car in these areas, though in Riverdale if you are near a subway line and/or Metro North stop you may not.

Some of the other towns Mead mentioned might be quite bucolic, but probably not too urban in feel (don't know where Riverdale falls, but probably not too urbanish either). It might actually be easier to get to Jersey from Riverdale by car than in some other parts of the city (anyone? I don't drive), but it may also depend on which part of Jersey he works in.

Park Slope is definitely family oriented, but pricey--you'd have to check rents. In addition, some of the very upscale family areas can be a bit overly materialistic (kids can be very competitive about what "things" they have and what building they live in, etc.)

Another possiblility might be Hoboken (in New Jersey) which is very close to Manhattan and might suit your husband in terms of commuting time. There's a PATH train that can take you from Jersey into the city that would be a quick ride into Manhattan (I think there are several different PATH stops in Manhattan). I'd imagine it would be a shortish drive or train ride as well from Hoboken to his job, but again, it might not. Don't recall if you mentioned the area he will be working in. Jersey City may be up and coming but may still be too gritty and industrial? in feel (again, not familiar with the area).

A good broker can probably help you narrow it down. I think there's one named Susan Goldy who handles Riverdale and I think Hudson Heights in Upper Manhattan as well. Always good to have a broker who really knows the area you're interested in inside and out.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:18 PM

Yeah Hoboken is nice, but it gets really noisy on the weekend when all of the local 20 somethings hit the bars.

If you're living in a "top 10" suburb, then I would recommend looking into Scarsdale or Bronxville. Thats probably the closest comparison. Bronxville has a nicer downtown than Scarsdale in my opinion and superb public schools. However it is EXTREMELY pricey to rent or buy there. Its definitely one of the most exclusive suburban towns in the NYC area, if not the country.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:38 PM

11 posts, read 46,634 times
Hi Mum of Two,

We are moving to NYC too. And trust me moving from Texas to NYC is most probably as stressful as moving from Australia. NYC is totally a different beast!
We will be in NYC this weekend to decide about schools & residence. We are looking at Upper East, as my husband's work would be in Queens, while I think I would be able to find a job quicker(as Online Marketing Manager) in the City.
I have a five year old - who has been going to a montessori till now. But montessori or private school education is horribly expensive in NYC. I am at total loss in trying to figure out what school to choose - and most of the schools have one year application process. We are moving in Dec 2007. Public school system, we have no clue either. It seems school system is different from TX. Also, Plano (our suburb) in Dallas, TX has one of the best public schools in the country - while I believe - not sure, I have been told that - standards in NYC for public school are not as high.

Lets keep in touch, and share what we find.
I just know about apartments & some schools in Upper East. Good 2B/2Bath apartments start at $5000+

Old 10-16-2007, 08:50 PM

274 posts, read 320,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah Hoboken is nice, but it gets really noisy on the weekend when all of the local 20 somethings hit the bars.

If you're living in a "top 10" suburb, then I would recommend looking into Scarsdale or Bronxville. Thats probably the closest comparison. Bronxville has a nicer downtown than Scarsdale in my opinion and superb public schools. However it is EXTREMELY pricey to rent or buy there. Its definitely one of the most exclusive suburban towns in the NYC area, if not the country.
I'm going to second Scarsdale and Bonxville if you can afford the prices. Scarsdale, NY is the second highest-earning/wealthy town in the United States. Very nice and exclusive area.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:21 AM

4 posts, read 111,573 times
Default Planning to move Aussi Family? Recommendation

Hi,

Very nice description of you situation and lots of luck!. I live in Orange County NY, it upstate NY on the Hudson Valley it is a very nice area to live and its about hour and a half from the city. I am a licensed Real Estate salessperson and i'd be more than welcome to help you find a home. I understand you also to relocate because i am from Mexico originally, got married more than a year and im very confortable and happy in this area Montgomery and Pine Bush, these are towns and they are in Orange County. You can search and let me know what you think i might be able to help you, thanks!. Rocio

Old 10-17-2007, 11:31 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,332 times
As mentioned earlier, commute time is also a factor which complicates matters for the OP.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:20 PM

Really? Thats frightening. I thought it was only around $4,000 for a 2br on the upper east side?

If someday I strike it rich I wouldn't mind moving to the city, however I don't think I'll ever be able to afford it. That is, unless of course I win the lottery or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rausa View Post
Lets keep in touch, and share what we find.
I just know about apartments & some schools in Upper East. Good 2B/2Bath apartments start at $5000+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City