Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 08:43 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,247,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Believe me, I would never stoop so low.
I bet you would change your mind when you see my renovated apartments. It'll put your little closest you call an apartment to shame. Too bad you don't have the guts to move to the Bronx for cheaper housing...something you advocate for in this forum. Practice what you preach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 07:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
Apartments renovated by a slumlord are still slums. And your posts indicate clearly what kind of a landlord you are.

Why presume I could get cheaper or better housing in the Bronx? And why in heavens name would ANYONE want to move to a place that takes GUTS. Sounds like the LAST place on Earth a sane person would want to go.

What's next? "You DARE me to move to the Bronx?"

Old 12-05-2012, 08:13 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,005,037 times
Quote:
Apartments renovated by a slumlord are still slums. And your posts indicate clearly what kind of a landlord you are.

Why presume I could get cheaper or better housing in the Bronx? And why in heavens name would ANYONE want to move to a place that takes GUTS. Sounds like the LAST place on Earth a sane person would want to go.

What's next? "You DARE me to move to the Bronx?"
LMAO!

Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 AM

32 posts, read 27,529 times
Quote:
I prefer to think of it as "creative accounting."

Remember you can buy blank W-2 forms and paystubs at STAPLES and YOU fill out freely available 1040 forms.
Quote:

I take the approach that it is no business of a landlord WHAT my finances are in fact. If he insists on getting numbers, then numbers he gets...whether they have any meaning or not is not relevant to me in the least.

But basically, how I run my finances is MY business (and my partner's and perhaps the IRS) and nobody else's...least of all the doof I am renting from.
Your comments are shocking.

Firstly, encouraging forgery.

And then making the fantastic statement that the LL has no business in knowing if a prospective tenant can afford the rent!

You're totally off the wall.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 12-06-2012 at 10:58 AM..

Old 12-05-2012, 10:43 AM

[quote=blue dome;27217582]
Quote:

Your comments are shocking.

Firstly, encouraging forgery.

And then making the fantastic statement that the LL has no business in knowing if a prospective tenant can afford the rent!

You're totally off the wall.
The LL is perfectly capable of deciphering if someone can pay the rent by checking paystubs and verifying employment, in addition to running credit/background checks.

It seems to work for 90% of landlords in the rest of the country.

Fortunately, it seems to work for many neighborhoods in the outerboroughs as well and contrary to what many would have you believe, the buildings aren't slums or hellholes either.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:17 PM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
How can we find out if landlords keep an infestation free apartment house?
Can we know if he will provide heat and hot water?
Can we know if he or ihis suuper is not a theif?
Does he have prper wiring?
Is his plumbing legal?

But make sure you tell him EVERYTHNG...he heeds tell you NOTHING!
Basically we are allowed to know NOTHING while landlord wants the right to your financial info and your DNA!

Old 12-05-2012, 03:01 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,343,139 times
You are perfectly capable of requesting information from LLs also..who is stopping you? You can choose not to provide the information requested to the LL and you will not get the apt, and the LL can choose not to provide the requested information to you, and you can choose not to rent from them. See how that works? It's simple.

I suspect if Kefir were ever a LL in NYC, he would be singing a different tune. There is a reason why LLs request so much documentation, and it isn't because they are bored or nosey...I mean really?

Old 12-05-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You are perfectly capable of requesting information from LLs also..who is stopping you? You can choose not to provide the information requested to the LL and you will not get the apt, and the LL can choose not to provide the requested information to you, and you can choose not to rent from them. See how that works? It's simple.

I suspect if Kefir were ever a LL in NYC, he would be singing a different tune. There is a reason why LLs request so much documentation, and it isn't because they are bored or nosey...I mean really?
Do you want me to friend you too?

No, seriously. What's to stop a landlord from requesting this as well? Yes, I look fabulous on paper. You have my tax returns, financials, paystubs, excellent credit, got my guarantor's financials, tax returns, credit report and paystubs. This "should" be all you need, right?

But then again, what if it's not enough and you want to know more about them without being intrusive (as if the tax/bank statement info isn't already) and tell them that it is a REQUIREMENT for them to "friend" you, so you can see who they "associate" with. Not just them, but the guarantor too?

Like when does it end? People are just trying to RENT an apartment not applying for a top security clearance to NASA.

I also believe that even if NYC housing court started making it easier to throw out tenants much of these same invasive practices will STILL be here.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:20 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,247,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

I also believe that even if NYC housing court started making it easier to throw out tenants much of these same invasive practices will STILL be here.
Actually if housing court made it easier to throw out a tenant, I think LLs wouldn't have to ask for so much info on a tenant. But we all know thats NOT the case. Housing court makes it SUPER difficult to evict a tenant hence, LLs need to REALLY screen the tenant to lower his risk in getting an undesirable.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:29 PM

45 posts, read 96,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
I know that brokers/landlords require applicants to have a yearly income that's at least 40x the monthly rent. My boyfriend and I are looking for apartments that are no more than $2,000 a month, meaning we have to make at least $80,000 a year. Our combined income is currently $70,000.

Has anyone ever lied on their rental application to avoid a guarantor? I can photoshop my paystubs and have my company's accountant back me up if need be.

actually in NY the goofiest conflict of interest ever is that the prospective tenant pays the realtor for...basically....nothing. so if I want a place and mr. or mrs. useless realtor wants their commish, they can fudge the numbers for me. that will earn their fee if ya ask me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City