Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 04:14 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Let me tell you a thing. You're right if the tenant smokes all over the apartment it's gonna probably be repainted but if you smoke in the bathroom like I've done in 5 apts and never got caught, the smoke stays in stays in the bathroom if you close the door. Almost all bathroom has a ventilation outlet. You just have to clean the bathroom tiles from tar stains (looks like rain drops) twice a year and that's it.
I wonder what do you do to clean your lungs??

Apartments aren't air tight. How do you keep smoke from traveling into other apartments?

Obviously, you can't. This is particularly so in modern apartments, and older apartments that have bee previously broken up into separate apartments.

Unfortunately, there iis little you can do to not visit your habit upon ypur neighbors.

Except invest in a ventalation system!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Lying about your income on an application, not only borders on the fraudulent side but also on the irresponsible one.
You simply cannot afford 2k rent on your HH income, why would you wanna lie to yourself?

Logical arguments aside, didn't your parents teach you that lying is generally not a good thing to do?
I find it disturbing everytime there is something we agree upon.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:40 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
""prospective tenants are rarely members of their own social groups, and anyone who has spent any time at all here knows this ""

Really? even on the Upper East & West sides of Manhattan (actually most of Manhattan) -- you can't rent a closet for less than $2,000 a month.. but I don't think many who rent in those areas are from a 'lower socioeconomic' class if that is what you are trying to say. You can either rent for $3,000 a month or buy an apartment for over $650,000 (for probably only a studio now)

Read far more carefully. The sentence clearly comments on social involvements of landlords with prospective tenants, which could (with a stretch) explain some whack-o, personal "nosiness" on the part of the landlords. My point was - why on earth would landlords have personal interests given a likely zero involvement with prospective tenants.

Even if rents are more than $2,000, the owners most likely do not travel in the same social circles as their renters. In fact, the higher the rent, the less likely this is.

And your point would be rather parenthetical in any case.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:27 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Aha,,,class, YES.

Scumbag classless landlords want to aquire tenants with CLASS!

Old 12-02-2012, 02:02 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
I wonder what do you do to clean your lungs??

Apartments aren't air tight. How do you keep smoke from traveling into other apartments?

Obviously, you can't. This is particularly so in modern apartments, and older apartments that have bee previously broken up into separate apartments.

Unfortunately, there iis little you can do to not visit your habit upon ypur neighbors.

Except invest in a ventalation system!!
The air purifiers work very well - we have a Honeywell.
It is large, sits in the middle of the floor, but works GREAT, and very quickly.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
When I was a renter I always appreciated landlords who did thorough financial and background screening of tenants(including myself) and avoided renting from those who did not.Always gravitated towards landlords who had a whole laundry list of hurdles and qualifications ,including at least 40x.Even encountered some who wanted 50X.

Who wants to live in a building in this city filled with unscreened,financially unqualified tenants,owned by a landlord who doesn't care enough to have certain standards ? In such situations the landlord deserves the crappy tenants he will get and the tenants deserve the crappy landlord they will get.
Absolute truth!!!

But, don't you see too many of the posters to this forum appear as low life ghetto dwellers, with little comprehension of market rate middle class and better standards.

Truth is truth.

There isn't a quality building in this city which does not require all that INVAISIVE information. So, the question is, where do some of these folks live?? What do *they* find acceptable? I shudder to think.

Nothing wrong with choosing to live life on one's own terms. I do. Yet, there is a COST to that. A cost most of these folks CLEARLY cannot afford!!

Old 12-02-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I have a problem moreso with the guarantor thing than giving up the financials. I feel that if a person's credit is good, can pay the rent, have good references, then getting a guarantor that makes 80 or 120 times the rent is just plain stupid and smacks of class segregation.

I know a couple who sold their home in Brooklyn several years ago and were told that they would STILL need a guarantor to rent an apartment. The reason they gave was that they didn't have a "rental history". The couple even offered to give them a year's rent up front. Both of them worked and were capable of paying the rent on their own, but it didn't matter. They still needed a guarantor.

"Ultimately", the fact that some landlords are willing to put extreme demands on potential tenants to rent these closets they call "apartments" speaks very loudly of THEIR character and values.
It is YOUR character and values that are loudly evidenced by your comments!!

You want things one way.

Personally, I think you are clueless and think unobjectively.

A tenant with no rental history is HIGH RISK! What is so difficult to comprehend????

Guarantor. Do you even comprehend the meaning of term? Please look it up!

Guarantor. Do you comprehend the function of a Guarantor? It appears NOT!

A Gurantor must FIRST be capable of paying their own personal expenses. Then, SECOND, additionally and SIMULTANEOUSLY be capable of paying the expenses of the tenant guarantee.

So, in effect, a Guarantor MUST be capable of affording the expenses of TWO households!

Quite logical and reasonable, can you not see that??? WHAT is CLASSIST about that?

If it turns out that only those of a certain class can afford to be Gurantors, that simply is a consequence of life!!

Life is not fair. You appear as one of those like Keifer King s/b made to be "fair". Life is not fair, and cannot be made so.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Then why did you write:

And the main issue with the idea that you are "just renting the place" is that in NYC U ARE NOT JUST RENTING A PLACE. You are theoretically a lifetime commitment + future generations in some cases.

Just being dramatic?

So it looks like that's not true for the vast majority of NYC landlords and tenants THESE DAYS.
Are you and idiot?

Basing conclusions form comments in this forum? That is simply stupid!

In any event, Sobro was speaking alternately about the general circumstance of NYC landlords, the upon his personal circumstance as a rental property owner.

Nothing confusing about his comments. Only your unnecessary ignorance and obstinance!

Let me quickly educate the total ignorant:

Simply put, rent controlled/stabilized tenants, by law, are required to be offered lease renewals. In addition, their children and immediate family members living in the apartment have a legal right to occupy the apartment upon the death of the leaseholder.

In market rate non stabilized/controlled apartments, landlords are NOT required to renew tenancies. Depending upon circumstance tenancies can be terminated at the end of the leae term, or upon 30 days notice.

That is the basic, but there is a VERY GREAT DEAL MORE to the L&T laws of this city and state.

If you do not know the above, then you are either a non renter or a dimwit!!!

Oh, and also jfyi, there is nowhere in the USA where the Landlord Tenant laws are more onerous to the landlord. In the overwhelming majority of States, it is a VERY simple issue to evict a tenant. In most cases, the LL can dump a tenant's possessions onto the street. Not so in NYC, where the LL is required by law to store a tenant's belongings at the LLMs expense.

So, after not receiving rent (while paying for heat, water and lights), going through the eviction proceeding (paying for attorneys and court fees), after winning an eviction (again more fees and paying for a Marshal), the LL MUST pay again to keep the non paying tenant's belongings!!

In other states, LL's don't have to pay for Marshalls, Sheriffs, nor all the fees, they simply call the police to effect eviction.

So, Marilyn and Lita, you really need to do a LOT of homework, as you do not know what you are talking about. Your butt cheeks are flapping in the wind.

I speak from professional knowledge and experience as both a former LL and L&T professional. I have rented, evicted and defended more tenants than you all can ever imagine. I have been involved with property ownership since a child helping my father.

You people appear to speak from the fantasies of your minds.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:41 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
It is YOUR character and values that are loudly evidenced by your comments!!

You want things one way.

Personally, I think you are clueless and think unobjectively.

A tenant with no rental history is HIGH RISK! What is so difficult to comprehend????

Guarantor. Do you even comprehend the meaning of term? Please look it up!

Guarantor. Do you comprehend the function of a Guarantor? It appears NOT!

A Gurantor must FIRST be capable of paying their own personal expenses. Then, SECOND, additionally and SIMULTANEOUSLY be capable of paying the expenses of the tenant guarantee.

So, in effect, a Guarantor MUST be capable of affording the expenses of TWO households!

Quite logical and reasonable, can you not see that??? WHAT is CLASSIST about that?

If it turns out that only those of a certain class can afford to be Gurantors, that simply is a consequence of life!!

Life is not fair. You appear as one of those like Keifer King s/b made to be "fair". Life is not fair, and cannot be made so.
I know exactly what the Guarantor is supposed to do. I don't need you to educate me.

You sound a character in a Charles Dickins play. Stop talking to me.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I know exactly what the Guarantor is supposed to do. I don't need you to educate me.

You sound a character in a Charles Dickins play. Stop talking to me.
If that is so, then why do make statements and questions as the following:

Quote:
I have a problem moreso with the guarantor thing than giving up the financials. I feel that if a person's credit is good, can pay the rent, have good references, then getting a guarantor that makes 80 or 120 times the rent is just plain stupid and smacks of class segregation.
IF you understand then what is your issue?

I presume your issue was the 80 to 120 percent requirement.

What is it that you find unreasonable?

How is this classist??

Why is it you cannot answer any reasonable question put to you?

Are you a person of reason or unreason?

Making accusatory claims w/o proving your assertions and supply fact is simply a meaningless whine.

Note, I don't like the invasive practices either, but I comprehend them. When I was young and dumb, I used to thin unobjectively like you. I grew, matured, and gained the experience of life. I never shut my mind, my ears, and obviously not my mouth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City