Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 11:17 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Oops, looks like you've been ignored.
Not ignored by you, O Seeker of the Last Word.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:24 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
/\/\

You folks should've stopped the Asian-related posts to give him some creditbility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
A few things about Amy Chua. Overall her methods are more effective than leaving kids unattended but her practices are not the standard practices of Asian families. Some parents in Asian countries have disavowed her book and noted that while they do take academics seriously, they don't go to such extremes and give "As" for effort to their kids regardless of results. Also, she is Filipino, many generations detached from her Chinese ancestry, and comes from an ambitious family which probably played a bigger part in her philosophy than culture. Some Asians have found it upsetting that her ways have been construed as representative of Asian practices in general.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:28 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
/\/\

You folks should've stopped the Asian-related posts to give him some creditbility.

A few things about Amy Chua. Overall her methods are more effective than leaving kids unattended but her practices are not the standard practices of Asian families. Some parents in Asian countries have disavowed her book and noted that while they do take academics seriously, they don't go to such extremes and give "As" for effort to their kids regardless of results. Also, she is Filipino, many generations detached from her Chinese ancestry, and comes from an ambitious family which probably played a bigger part in her philosophy than culture.
Yes, I know there has been some controversy over Amy Chua. Of course people will not agree with everything she writes, but it does stand as one example of Asian parenting philosophy, which people have been recommending on this thread as opposed to non-parenting philosophy.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:07 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
The statement I have bolded above makes me sad. As long as the AAs, and Caribbean and Latin American black mindset remains this way, it will continue to be this way for many many....... many generations to come, and I think the mindset has to change and once it does things will get better for future generations which I hope it does.
Well it is what it is. One can wish that the streets were made of gold but they arent.

One would think that an increasingly connected world will have less space for people whose inclination is to stay within narrow ethnic enclave.

The fact that you demand that blacks become insular and clannish says that there is still lots wrong with the world.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:09 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian1776 View Post
Agreed. I was really disappointed by his/her statment. The excuses have to stop. I know many AA's who are successful because they left that negative mindset in the dust.

What negative mind set are you talking about?

Indeed the most successful blacks are the ones who are most able to integrate into the mainstream, not segregate into an ethnic enclave, this being one lacking the resources available to other groups.

Given that the blacks of the Americas have a different history than Asians or Jews, success and upward mobility develops from adopting different strategies. I do not see that an inward looking communal mindset is going to be hugely successful. There is much rhetoric about this, that blacks should support their own, etc, but it hasnt succeeded and I do not see it working.

Demanding that the system is fair, and equipping one's self to take advantage of these opportunities, as they emerge, is what will work. Yes when a black person reaches a point where they can help another DESERVING black person they can, and often do help. But I do not see a black version of the more positive aspects of Chinatown emerging.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:16 PM

681 posts, read 1,671,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Well it is what it is. One can wish that the streets were made of gold but they arent.

One would think that an increasingly connected world will have less space for people whose inclination is to stay within narrow ethnic enclave.

The fact that you demand that blacks become insular and clannish says that there is still lots wrong with the world.
Can you offer a better solution?

Old 12-12-2012, 03:48 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
Can you offer a better solution?
Yes. People should drop stereotypes founded in skin color, immediately and simultaneously, therefore allowing anyone to be part of whatever cultural group s/he chooses.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:10 PM

52 posts, read 91,394 times
Its the culture of not emphasizing education that's affecting Black and Latino graduations. The Jews and Asians place Education number one. The Jews and now Asians are the ones who will have the best jobs in NY.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Yes. People should drop stereotypes founded in skin color, immediately and simultaneously, therefore allowing anyone to be part of whatever cultural group s/he chooses.
Fine, but how does that help the black/latino community get ahead in society?

Old 12-12-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yandel19 View Post
Its the culture of not emphasizing education that's affecting Black and Latino graduations. The Jews and Asians place Education number one. The Jews and now Asians are the ones who will have the best jobs in NY.
Not only the best jobs, but they are buying up American corporations and businesses. Pretty soon we'll be working for Chinese and Jewish bosses and instead of keeping the wealth here for Americans of all races and backgrounds to enjoy the benefits of and reinvest, the money will probably get transferred overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City