Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I don't disagree, but Tyquan and Shanee themselves are not some natural occurrence that just "happened." Sure, spouses die or leave, but many of these single-mother households are not the result of either - exactly. The statistics on single-mother households in the African American population are staggering. Somebody, in fact a large group of somebodies, needs to decide, and now, not to bear children whom she cannot or will not support or parent.

That aside, Gen Y non-transplant family here, non-snowflake, and when the time comes we will NOT be sending our children to the neighborhood schools. Would you sacrifice your own children to bring up the quality of a school ?
I'm also a Gen Y and a Native. I don't plan on staying in NYC forever. I don't live in a great neighborhood which has very poor schooling. With these females around here walking around with their culos in the air thinking their #$%$ don't stink and they allow men around here to gas their heads up. I rather stay single and not impregnate these women around here and risk my chances of paying child support. If I was to have kids, I don't want them to live and grow where I went to school like the majority of people in my neighborhood and continue a cycle that does not break. If I was to have a kid with a chick from around here, I would try to convince her to move out of NYC with the baby for a better upbringing. Don't get me wrong I was raised practically raised in NYC public school system and posters on here and folks in real life ask how did I survive that. My answer is and always was I don't know. Sad thing is when I was in high school I made it to advance placement math which became hard for me to pass, while my fellow peers were in lower math classes and eventually passed on, but when some of them got to college they could not pass a single math class, I knew some who flunked out.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:25 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Does anyone have any insight on what's causing too many Black-American and Latino boys to not graduate?

NY Graduation Rates for Black, Hispanic Boys Lowest in Nation | NBC New York
The article is unclear on whether it pertains to just New York City or the entire New York State because according to greatschools.org, there is a MASSIVE difference between suburban NY black graduation rates and NYC black graduation rates. Anyways, here are the reasons why Black+Hispanic graduation rates tend to be lower:

+ African American culture and *some* Caribbean-Hispanic groups tend to be more laid-back type cultures so there is often less value/pressure placed on education by these cultures.

+ It's proven that when you have college educated parents, they are more likely to pass down those high-education-values to their children and Blacks and Hispanics have the lowest rates of college education (behind natives).

+ Income has an effect on it too. Blacks+Hispanics are more likely to be lower-income in NYC so this EXPONENTIALLY increases the likelihood of having to drop out to find work and support the family to survive.

+ Blacks+Hispanics in NYC are also more likely than Whites/Asians to live in single-parent households. Obviously a child is more likely to perform better in school when they have two parents pushing them as opposed to just one mother (who often has to be busy w/multiple jobs to make ends meet).

Stats like this shouldn't group people based on *RACE* but instead *CULTURE*, since there are differences within sub-groups of each race. For example, West African immigrants are Black and they generally do not face lower rates of education or other socioeconomic issues.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 12-02-2012 at 08:34 PM..

Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
If the city wants to try they should pump in more tax dollars into inner city neighborhood schools
More money into a failing system? $24.4 Billion at the moment:
http://schools.nyc.gov/AboutUs/fundi...ew/default.htm
http://schools.nyc.gov/AboutUs/data/stats/default.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lets see if my fellow Millennial Gen Y Transplants moving into places like Washington Heights, Bushwick, Bedstuy, Harlem, Mott Haven, Red Hook, LES, Crown Heights, lets see if they are going to have kids and if so send little snowflake to a neighborhood poor neighborhood public school!
If "little snowflake", as you so banally put it, arrives at a poor neighborhood public school, he will do so with more life and pedagogical skills than the children of the locals. The "transplants" (as if the existing population has roots more than an inch deep) will have provided a better education at home, than any taxpayer-funded Head Start or other early education program. Their children will wind up in advanced classes, or gain admission to the almost inevitable magnet school. The gap which existed on arrival will broaden. If school life outside the classroom becomes too difficult, the parent(s) will move to another neighborhood, catchment for a better school.
Meanwhile, LS's asian counterparts will make similar, if not greater, progress, despite economic & language barriers at home.
Somehow, the pursuit and attainment of a decent education will be attacked or criticized, perhaps on a message board.

Last edited by bigjake54; 12-02-2012 at 11:35 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 05:50 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,884 times
The reality is that if the students come from low-income backgrounds, broken families, uneducated parents then they will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS be at a disadvantage and the student body (as a whole collectively) will ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have lower performance compared to other school's student body's.

Spending more money on underprivileged students won't have a major impact on performance. What a lot of people actually don't know is that most poor school systems actually receive more federal funding then most schools in middle class areas, you can see that here:
Spending per pupil in NY state districts | rocdocs

Old 12-03-2012, 10:28 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
^

But according to this there are still problems with schools in low income areas not recieving what they need.

Quote:

A new report from the U.S. Department of Education documents that schools serving low-income students are being shortchanged because school districts across the country are inequitably distributing their state and local funds.

The analysis of new data on 2008-09 school-level expenditures shows that many high-poverty schools receive less than their fair share of state and local funding, leaving students in high-poverty schools with fewer resources than schools attended by their wealthier peers.

Press Releases | U.S. Department of Education-

Old 12-03-2012, 01:30 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
This thread is like so many others: Blame those people of color...it's all their fault singularly, everything is in their control and they simply are choosing to be poor..cuz really..it's so fun! Everyone should try being destitute and living in the projects and then you'll see why all these people of color just can't say no!

Here's a thought: When you have a police force actively incarcerating youth as a matter of policy, therein lies one of the biggest problems. In those lovely suburbs, the police see youth congregating, and it's "kids hanging out", and at worse they are asked to move along, politely of course. In the city, colored folks congregating on the corner are "a gang loitering" and police action is swift, they are searched and of course, being kids, they always have something like weed = now have a criminal record and the spiral downward commences quickly.

Of course those white kids in the burbs have weed also, but that's "just kids being kids, now go home." The active incarceration of white suburben children would never be allowed or tolerated, but in the city, it's a race to see how many kids you can get arrested to meet your quota!

But let's ignore all that...they just really really want to be poor...who doesn't!

Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
Chris Rock says books are like Kyptonite.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:58 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Chris Rock says books are like Kyptonite.

When attempting to use other's people jokes, you should do so when appropiate.
Here you're just being a bigoted IDIOT.

The performance you witlessly are refering to, was about n*ggas vs black people.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:06 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
The reality is that if the students come from low-income backgrounds, broken families, uneducated parents then they will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS be at a disadvantage and the student body (as a whole collectively) will ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have lower performance compared to other school's student body's.

Spending more money on underprivileged students won't have a major impact on performance. What a lot of people actually don't know is that most poor school systems actually receive more federal funding then most schools in middle class areas, you can see that here:
Spending per pupil in NY state districts | rocdocs
Oh, I am actually aware. I refrained from pointing this out.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:25 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
This thread is like so many others: Blame those people of color...it's all their fault singularly
Meanwhile, those people of color are blaming everybody else.
Quote:
Here's a thought: When you have a police force actively incarcerating youth as a matter of policy, therein lies one of the biggest problems.
Yeah! The Man is holding us down! Fortunately, Sobro has discovered this secret policy to incarcerate the youth!
Quote:
In those lovely suburbs, the police see youth congregating, and it's "kids hanging out", and at worse they are asked to move along, politely of course. In the city, colored folks congregating on the corner are "a gang loitering" and police action is swift, they are searched and of course, being kids, they always have something like weed = now have a criminal record and the spiral downward commences quickly.
You haven't spent enough time in the lovely suburbs. There, as in the city, the main complaint of kids is that they are harassed by the police, and are not permitted to ignore the traffic laws and generally behave stupidly. (Ironically, the second main complaint is also the same, that the quality of weed has gone down!)
Quote:
Of course those white kids in the burbs have weed also, but that's "just kids being kids, now go home." The active incarceration of white suburben children would never be allowed or tolerated, but in the city, it's a race to see how many kids you can get arrested to meet your quota!
If you think kids aren't arrested for weed in the suburbs, you're dreaming. If you think Riker's is full of kids arrested to meet a quota, you're delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City