Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 05:53 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

again , your drifting off topic. the thread is about the fact only 37% of blacks and hispanics are graduating high school.

thats a recipe for a life of low paying jobs and high unemployment for far to many.

thats the topic at hand , its not about college or masters or any other degrees. its about basic skills from high school and what the lack of it is doing to entire cultures.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:53 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
this thread is about graduating high school
High school is part of the overall educational system. So other parts of education are very relevant. And as noted, high school is NOT there to help the masses out in life, its there to weed out huge numbers of people that it throws to bottom level jobs, and to determine which ones are better "suited" to high level jobs and opportunities, such as going to college.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
again , your drifting off topic. the thread is about the fact only 37% of blacks and hispanics are graduating high school.
But you have your answer in what I just gave you. Blacks and Hispanics do the **** jobs in the city. Go into the grocery store, in retail, in any low level job and you will see plenty of blacks and hispanics.

Someone's got to do those low level jobs! Surely you don't think they're doing to be done by robots and that everyone in the nation is going to be a CEO!

Old 12-30-2012, 05:56 AM

If everyone was white, you would still have an underclass of people who didn't do well in high school or graduate, and yes, they'd be doing those **** jobs. In fact, you can go to municipalities that do indeed have a large white underclass, many of whom do drop out of high school.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:56 AM

then the cultures will always be at the bottom of the ladder. so your okay with that fact ? your saying it is fine for almost 3/4's of the black and latino cultures to drop out of high school because some one has to do the low end jobs .

that makes no sense. it is not fine, it is horrible to set your sights on being at the bottom of the heap.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
then the cultures will always be at the bottom of the ladder. so your okay with the fact they are dropping out in mass?
Its not my place to run other people's lives. Its up to each individual to make their own decisions in life, whether these decisions are good or bad. I cannot make them for other people, I can only be grateful for the good decisions I have made myself (and I have made some good decisions which worked out well for me). I'm not into judging other people.

I'd rather deal with my own personal issues.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:01 AM

you or i are not going to change a thing. but if the question was asked as to why it is happening to their cultures that only 37% make it out of highschool my answer is it is because they are becoming a self fullfilling prophesy and becoming more and more anti-education and learning because of peer pressure and circumstances ..

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-30-2012 at 07:14 AM..

Old 12-30-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
you or i are not going to change a thing. but if the question was asked as to why it is happening to their cultures my answer is it is because they are becoming a self fullfilling prophesy and becoming more and more anti-education and learning.
That is up for individual people to deal with, as individuals, not cultures, will live with the consequences of their decisions.

If you can't pay your rent due to poor life choices, your "culture" isn't the one hauled into landlord/tenant court. You are, and you the individual will face living in the streets.

Likewise, the solutions for the problems that a person faces, in those circumstances, will have to be decided upon by that person. Not by a group, not buy an outsider, but by that person.

I'm an advocate of individual responsibility.

And different people in those circumstances have different ways that they deal with those issues, that's if they deal with them (and whether they deal with them or not is that individual's CHOICE).

I'm all for giving people choice's on how to live their lives.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:08 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times
Quote:
this thread is about graduating high school
Yes and Writer is saying high school is a screen. In theory, yes it is a screen. But ifAmerica truly put that into practice we would have the same efficiency as Germany where big buff Gunther, Hans work in auto mechanics (because someone noticed that gene in them and steered them appropriately) and the more cerebral Petra, Manfred, Axel, are bank examiners and all 5 love what theydo and their incomes aren't wildly different because the nation of Germany itself refuses to have nation of wildly rich and wildly poor people. So they see a square peg they wanna put it into a square hole . Round peg round hole.

America seems to want to HAMMER every kind of square peg into round holes knowing full well it's unrealistic - and for what? Image? Thats gotta be it. Gotta keep the illusion alive. not sure when (decade) this American wackyness began but it's terribly outdated and was flawed from the start! (by wackyness Im referring to the idea of "college for all" ... Riiiiiiiight... eyes roll to the ceiling)

My conclusion/guess: Young not-naturally-erudite blacks and Latinos in America simply want the government to be straightforward with them and to guide them somewhat even if, for many, their employment destiny is pretty predictable. Like, at least "pretend to care". Instead, America treats them as triangular pegs (neither round or square) and leaves them to their own devices. It's a cycle with guilty parties on both sides ....and it's vicious.

Last edited by grimace8; 12-30-2012 at 06:37 AM..

Old 12-30-2012, 07:17 AM

well everyone is free to develop a trade here if school is not for them. the real issue seems to be when there is no school and no trade and thats the real crux of the problem. that is what seems to be developing more and more.

many of these folks can not even speak and communicate well enough to even get that low end job and they were born here.

but while it may be my concern it is not my problem. i made sure myself and my kids did what they needed to do to prosper.

im sure others who are motivated and inclined did what they had to do and life goes on.

my entire life has been about playing the cards im dealt and less about blaming the dealer.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-30-2012 at 07:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City