Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 05:31 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
While most people understand the merits of quotas on specific races, it's still very sad that the best our politicians and higher educational institutions can do is put quotas on certain races. .

Which quotas. None for CUNY. None for SUNY. And if the private colleges in NYC had any Grosvenor would have sued them because he would have wanted to be in the bottom 10% of applicants and still be accepted.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
This was exactly my point! Unless you're going to be a hip hop artist being ghetto ain't cool for your bank account. Jay Z is part of the problem not the solution. If Blacks want a role model they should look at Obama.Z.
Really how mkany black males wear saggy points these days. Most do not so hy should the ones who do be used to define the entire group? In addition there are white males into the saggy pants, or the tatoos, which is just as bad.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
That article was not a few days ago, that article was written I think two years ago when the government noted that out of wedlock births reached 50%, and out of wedlock births amongst whites is increasingly going up, probably might surpass the rate of black out of wedlock births within the next two decades unless the government does not intervene to stem this trend which is not very promising for the future of this country, unless if America wants to become a collective society like those Scandinavians. The result of this is the lack of jobs in the Midwest region of the United States which is heavily dependent and agriculture and manufacturing, which manufacturing has taken a nose device and liberal war against food companies like Monsanto hurting food sales. Parts of the Midwest is probably worst than most of the Bronx and Brooklyn in terms of society as a whole. Lack of industrial jobs created a huge mess for Midwesterners of crime, drugs and single motherdom. YOu should watch the effects of dindustrialization of the Midwest on PBS called two famllies, and I have to say its real sad. And to be honest I don't think race is the issue! One last thing is that a week ago I came across 12 Transplants, and more than half were all from Michigan. It grind my gears that these folks moved to NYC to seek professional jobs that locals who live in this city need. The Midwest is pretty bad, the worst region of America to avoid at the moment.

Two American Families | FRONTLINE | PBS

The article was written either this week or last week in the NYT. It dealt with the decline of an industrail town in Ohio and the increase income inequality.

The writer specifically indicated that those with the pathologies were white.

It appears that the declining access to decent paying jobs and high rate sof long term unemployment predict more closely what happens to people and as we are discovering, whites are increasing impacted by this.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:43 PM

530 posts, read 1,360,006 times
I wouldn't blame fashions for any shortcomings. Fashion is fashion and youth fashion is always pretty dumb. Music is music and all is stupid.

I went into it more in my post here- http://www.city-data.com/forum/30886420-post459.html

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 08-09-2013 at 05:56 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 05:45 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The article was written either this week or last week in the NYT. It dealt with the decline of an industrail town in Ohio and the increase income inequality.

The writer specifically indicated that those with the pathologies were white.

It appears that the declining access to decent paying jobs and high rate sof long term unemployment predict more closely what happens to people and as we are discovering, whites are increasing impacted by this.
Do you have the link? I would like to read it!

Old 08-09-2013, 06:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Which quotas. None for CUNY. None for SUNY. And if the private colleges in NYC had any Grosvenor would have sued them because he would have wanted to be in the bottom 10% of applicants and still be accepted.
There aren't quotas. At best, there are funds targeted to specific groups, sometimes any "underserved" group including women or economically disadvantaged people.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:07 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Really how mkany black males wear saggy points these days. Most do not so hy should the ones who do be used to define the entire group?
Been to Harlem lately ?
It is a statement: I am opting out.

But which entire group do they define ? This merely situates that person, wearing sagging pants, in a cultural group.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:10 PM

530 posts, read 1,360,006 times
Baggy pants have long been out of style but yes, ppl still do sag their pants. Now they sag their skinny jeans now.

I'm guilty of this sometimes but i don't show off much of my underwear and it makes my jeans look much better on me. I'm average weight but I have large thighs so guy pants ends up looking like girl pants if I don't pull the jeans down a few notches..

But nevertheless, the way I wear my clothes have not negatively impacted my academic performance at all.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:20 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Over-reliance on schools by the parents and lower socio economic status.

Both can be defeated in the age of the internet and the abundance of affirmative action programs ( which I agree with to an extent) but it takes work and patience. Those that work to overcome these do ok/well. Those that don't, go on to suffer and complain that America sucks.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:28 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:
Really how mkany black males wear saggy points these days. Most do not so hy should the ones who do be used to define the entire group? In addition there are white males into the saggy pants, or the tatoos, which is just as bad.
I never mentioned saggy pants, if that's what you want to associate with being ghetto then so be it. My point is that it's a matter of being brought up in a "street" environment and not being taught from a young age that there's greener pastures until it's too late. But hey it's easier said than done. E.g. my dad told me once that working at McDonald's was a good job, but lucky I questioned that thought.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 08-09-2013 at 06:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City