Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:07 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any insight on what's causing too many Black-American and Latino boys to not graduate?

NY Graduation Rates for Black, Hispanic Boys Lowest in Nation | NBC New York

Old 12-02-2012, 10:39 AM

368 posts, read 391,534 times
Yes. It is the decisions and choices freely made by those same Black and Latino boys, based largely on the values they learn at home and from their friends.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:43 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Parental involvement and the culture and ethical values learned within the family.

The culture of the neighborhoods.

Educator here. It really is as simple as that.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
Yes. It is the decisions and choices freely made by those same Black and Latino boys, based largely on the values they learn at home and from their friends.
All young people make poor choices. It is a part of growing up in every culture and social class.

By "black and latino," I will assume that you mean LOW INCOME black and latino boys. There are plenty of black and latino boys from other social groups who do quite well.

The challenge for those young people - no guidance, and/or poor guidance. Period.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:48 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,961 times
I knew an educator that taught basic and advanced reading skills in a public school. She found that in the homes the parents were not reading to and with the children. So some of the basic life survival skills were not being taught in the home.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:08 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times
As far as the parental angle. Keep in mind that many of these boys dropping out are coming from teen mothers.

This is why I didn't have a big problem with the school system giving out birth control to students. To me this was a long term solution. Reducing teen mothers can reduce child poverty in the long run and cause more girls to have their first kid after graduation when they are older and more mature which could produce better raised kids who will then graduate more often.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
I knew an educator that taught basic and advanced reading skills in a public school. She found that in the homes the parents were not reading to and with the children. So some of the basic life survival skills were not being taught in the home.
Oh, I beg to differ. "Survival skills" are certainly taught. The question is, what sort of survival skills and aimed toward surviving where.

How to survive in the 'hood ? Hang out on the street. Dress the part. Refuse to speak proper English. Learn to work the system. Internalize that "whitey" (read: everyone in the world who is not a ghetto culture member) is out to get you and is fully responsible for all of the failures of your parents, and ultimately, all of your own. Perpetuate these values beginning at age sixteen with your own children. Continue.

Simply stated, from the earliest ages these children are trained to belong to a very tiny, very destructive, niche culture, and to understand themselves as completely alienated from anything else - especially anything remotely productive or fulfilling. This is accomplished at a fundamental level when parents and other adults connect this with a racial imperative - it's the way "black" people are. I see this every day. For most of them there is no chance. I objected to the comment about young people making decisions for that reason. Lifestyle ingrained since birth is not something that opens itself to decision making.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
As far as the parental angle. Keep in mind that many of these boys dropping out are coming from teen mothers.

This is why I didn't have a big problem with the school system giving out birth control to students. To me this was a long term solution. Reducing teen mothers can reduce child poverty in the long run and cause more girls to have their first kid after graduation when they are older and more mature which could produce better raised kids who will then graduate more often.
Yeah. Unfortunately, we cannot force them to use the birth control and most won't. It's part of the culture.
Been there. Observed that.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:30 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Parent-bashing is a cheap and easy way to point a finger at black and Latino people that excuses all uncaring, ill-prepared and incompetent teachers, schools, and /or educators along the way from their responsibility to educate kids. No one will deny that there are bad, uncaring, incompetent parents. WE've all seen and known them. But every kid only has two of those at the most. They will encounter dozens of bad, racist, ioncompetent educators throughout their lives. And many nof them simply have no idea or what's worse no desire to overcome eother bad parenting or bad schooling--or both.

But OP asked for what to do. Best most reasonable thing I've seen recently are some of the suggestions in Paul Tough's new book, How Children Succeed. Read it and then you'l realize that despite whatever parental shortcomings there are, one can make a very strong argument that the educational system isn't wiling to do what's necessasry to educate poor young men of color.

‘How Children Succeed’ — Q&A with Paul Tough

Old 12-02-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Parent-bashing is a cheap and easy way to point a finger at black and Latino people that excuses all uncaring, ill-prepared and incompetent teachers, schools, and /or educators along the way from their responsibility to educate kids. No one will deny that there are bad, uncaring, incompetent parents. WE've all seen and known them. But every kid only has two of those at the most. They will encounter dozens of bad, racist, ioncompetent educators throughout their lives. And many nof them simply have no idea or what's worse no desire to overcome eother bad parenting or bad schooling--or both.

But OP asked for what to do. Best most reasonable thing I've seen recently are some of the suggestions in Paul Tough's new book, How Children Succeed. Read it and then you'l realize that despite whatever parental shortcomings there are, one can make a very strong argument that the educational system isn't wiling to do what's necessasry to educate poor young men of color.

‘How Children Succeed’ — Q&A with Paul Tough

Do enlighten everyone. What IS required to educate "young men of color" ? And who are these phantom group members. Do we group them just by skin color or do we break this down into shades or what.

Accountability to be avoided at all costs. How does this persist.

The biggest educator direction problem right now - few of the better and more qualified teachers will work in low income areas. Guess why.

A better suggestion to everyone: Read Canada and understand his project. Like me, he has experience in two key areas ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City