Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:23 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I didn't know he was drunk.
He had a fight with his wife at home, was drunk, and then fought with the man who later pushed him away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 02:12 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How about this:

INTERNET / Where Every Day is Sept. 11 / Falling victim: Ghouls rush in

Even 9/11!

We've got an internet ghoul I noticed who posts threads on NYC CD. Every single thread he/she/it posts is asking about the "number of murders" in a certain part of NYC (usually poor and/or minority neighborhood) or in housing projects. On one of his threads someone answered with a particular amount of detail and he responded with something like "That's a lot of murders!" Yes, he used a "happy face" on his post in connection with this sentence! The funniest thing is SO MANY PEOPLE have posted to this guy giving him legitimate websites that have murder stats on them ... over and over again. But he doesn't really "want" to do legitimate internet research on murders in NYC and find facts. What he "wants" is to revel in murder and death in NYC, particularly in poorer neighborhoods since that's what he asks for.
And what have these ghouls been feeling and doing all weekend (after the Connecticut school shootings) - I can't imagine

Old 12-16-2012, 02:16 PM

667 posts, read 940,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Apparently this just happened this afternoon, so it may screw up some commutes.
The guy who shouted the pictures while victim was asking for help has extremely disappointed me.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:09 PM

872 posts, read 1,385,196 times
This a common thing in New York?

Old 12-16-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
This a common thing in New York?
I've lived here since January 1975 and I personally remember 4 incidents in total of this cruel nature. 3 female victims, 1 male victim. I did not hear about the incident that occurred in April until this thread.

1 female perpetrator; the others were males

Last edited by grimace8; 12-16-2012 at 04:39 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 10:09 PM

802 posts, read 1,681,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't see how your point is still valid. I understood your point to be that the news outlets weren't reporting it, but they were. I linked you to a google search to show you how to find the articles about it.

I think you just weren't doing the search properly. There are many things I'm not good at, but I excel at Google searches, so I thought that could help you out. The trick is not to search for something so generic like "good samaritan" tracks NYC (although that would be a good one to start with) but you should try something very specific about the incident that will bring up only articles about this specific incident.

In the search I provided for you, I searched on the name of one of the witnesses that was quoted extensively and then limited the result to the past week. That's how I found out in 20 seconds that the news had been covered in all those news outlets. Hope that helps.
I understand, but immediately after the story broke about the man being pushed on the tracks, all you had to do was enter a generic search in google and you found numerous articles describing the incident. Maybe both stores were reported equally (initially) but one was discussed much more frequently. There is no denying that claim.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:38 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
For future reference, does anyone KNOW whether one can safely step onto the wooden plank atop the third rail?

Old 12-20-2012, 05:15 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
For future reference, does anyone KNOW whether one can safely step onto the wooden plank atop the third rail?
It won't electrocute you, if that's what you mean. Whether you'll fall off is a personal problem.

The third rail is only 600VDC; dry rubber-soled shoes are good enough insulators that you could step on the rail itself (with the other foot on the ground) if you were wearing them. Probably.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:40 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
It won't electrocute you, if that's what you mean. Whether you'll fall off is a personal problem.

The third rail is only 600VDC; dry rubber-soled shoes are good enough insulators that you could step on the rail itself (with the other foot on the ground) if you were wearing them. Probably.
its 750VDC there aare no 600 VDC in North America...

Old 12-20-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Well I know you'd need to hope/pray that that wood doesnt crack. Old wood aint the best wood. But then if it started to crack, you'd hear it and then take appropriate action
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City