Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times

Advertisements

The MTA website advises tourists like me to stand as close to the tracks as possible, on the theory that that is where people gather therefore it's safest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 12:02 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Default NY Post photo.

The photo was chilling and very tragic. Though in that photo, He has his arms over the platform at that point. Is there no way a few people could not have yanked him back up quickly before the subway arrived? Was the attacker still present at that point and kept people away? The view showed the platform empty toward the end despite a previous one showing people at the end toward the 49th st exit.

I know it's too late though at this point, And my heart goes out to this man and his family. I exited this station this afternoon and felt a sinking feeling, Like bad vibes when I walked past the spot this happened.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:08 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times
You can see the photo- there are no people anywhere near him. From the time that photo was taken, there were probably only 2-3 seconds until the train reached the victim.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:25 PM

802 posts, read 1,682,150 times
No comments on the NY Post headline? "Pushed on the subway tracks, this man is about to die"

Inappropriate and quite a sad picture to say the least. The killer ran away as soon as he pushed the man and exited the subway. Now, from reading multiple articles, I believed there might have been a chance for this man to be saved if people actually went over and helped (instead of taking a freaking picture). Obviously, in the picture, the train is about to hit him in 2-3 seconds, but the man was probably pushed over maybe 5 seconds before the time the picture was taken (judging by the intuition that he got pushed over, got up, and started to reach over the platform). If someone immediately ran over and tried to yank him over, he might have been saved. No guarantees but standing around and screaming does no good and leaves you with a life full of regret.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:25 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
The MTA website advises tourists like me to stand as close to the tracks as possible, on the theory that that is where people gather therefore it's safest.

As close to the tracks as possible? I doubt it says that. They always advise to stand behind the yellow line. I'd be surprised if they tell tourists the stand on the edge.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:35 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Instead of dancing around the issue and blaming the bystanders, I think we need a real solution to the crazy homeless people roaming the streets. And not a bleeding heart liberal solution...

Old 12-04-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
No comments on the NY Post headline? "Pushed on the subway tracks, this man is about to die"

Inappropriate and quite a sad picture to say the least. The killer ran away as soon as he pushed the man and exited the subway. Now, from reading multiple articles, I believed there might have been a chance for this man to be saved if people actually went over and helped (instead of taking a freaking picture). Obviously, in the picture, the train is about to hit him in 2-3 seconds, but the man was probably pushed over maybe 5 seconds before the time the picture was taken (judging by the intuition that he got pushed over, got up, and started to reach over the platform). If someone immediately ran over and tried to yank him over, he might have been saved. No guarantees but standing around and screaming does no good and leaves you with a life full of regret.
True on all points esp the bolded. I think an average sized able bodied man alone could have pulled him up. 2 people-Even easier. Perhaps the "bystander effect" was in play-Everyone waits for someone else to do something. And nothing happens.

I brought the paper back after grabbing some items from the local store, put it face down and suggested my GF not look at the front of the paper actually.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:09 PM

393 posts, read 782,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post

I also agree. While I get that sometimes it's too scary to help someone (especially if you are not a strong man who can fight), I don't understand how someone can stand there and document these incidents. This is such a terrible trend...the second people see something bad happening they dig out their cameras and start taping it instead of trying to figure out how to help. Personally, as a young woman, I wouldn't know what to do in this situation, but I don't think I could stand there and calmly take pictures with my phone while someone fell to their death. I only understand the need for picture/video taking when you need to get the face of the attacker for the cops. In my opinion, victims should not be photographed or shown in papers in these positions (I haven't seen the photo in question, but pictures of victims right before or after dying are constantly published in newspapers). It's disrespectful, and it must be very very very painful for their loved ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Instead of dancing around the issue and blaming the bystanders, I think we need a real solution to the crazy homeless people roaming the streets. And not a bleeding heart liberal solution...
YES. I was saying that in that bums bums bums thread. The mentally ill crazies are out of control. I wonder how everyone who is defending them with their "oh society failed them, it isn't their fault" bs would feel if one of these people tried to push them in front of a train. As unfortunate as their situation may be, they are a huge threat to the well-being of others.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:42 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
I also agree. While I get that sometimes it's too scary to help someone (especially if you are not a strong man who can fight), I don't understand how someone can stand there and document these incidents. This is such a terrible trend...the second people see something bad happening they dig out their cameras and start taping it instead of trying to figure out how to help. Personally, as a young woman, I wouldn't know what to do in this situation, but I don't think I could stand there and calmly take pictures with my phone while someone fell to their death. I only understand the need for picture/video taking when you need to get the face of the attacker for the cops. In my opinion, victims should not be photographed or shown in papers in these positions (I haven't seen the photo in question, but pictures of victims right before or after dying are constantly published in newspapers). It's disrespectful, and it must be very very very painful for their loved ones.

YES. I was saying that in that bums bums bums thread. The mentally ill crazies are out of control. I wonder how everyone who is defending them with their "oh society failed them, it isn't their fault" bs would feel if one of these people tried to push them in front of a train. As unfortunate as their situation may be, they are a huge threat to the well-being of others.
People who do that are ghouls. Somebody normal isn't going to understand that. They LOVE grisly, bloody violence to look at. They slow down and stare at car accidents. They actually have internet webpages devoted to ghoulism. I am sure some of these pics will find their way onto those webpages for other ghouls to get their rocks off to.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
People who do that are ghouls. Somebody normal isn't going to understand that. They LOVE grisly, bloody violence to look at. They slow down and stare at car accidents. They actually have internet webpages devoted to ghoulism. I am sure some of these pics will find their way onto those webpages for other ghouls to get their rocks off to.
It will, Sadly. There are indeed entire sites devoted to this, With manners of horrors that could turn one's hair white instantly. Hell even vacations to see dark places that had death and destruction. DVD's and sites showing street violence is unfortunately popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City