Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:38 AM

900 posts, read 2,372,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post

You never wanted to live in the city or just Brooklyn?

You COULD always leave you know
Nope, never in Brooklyn but other parts of the city.

I know I can leave but I'm trying to change Brooklyn one person at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 11:40 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
I know I can leave but I'm trying to change Brooklyn one person at a time.

90% of me knows that you're being sarcastic. But from certain people I've come across over the past 5 or ten years, I cannot be completely certain...

Old 12-04-2012, 11:47 AM

14 posts, read 14,718 times
Lmao@ sobro... I know the bronx is def. At the bottom of my list, but not off my list. Damn the truth!!! When I use to visit ny back in the day I came to the bronx .. im sure that was considered the hood where I was hanging out, but I wasnt by myself either. All I remember was the elevator smelling like pee n thinking "yall dont smell that?" I see the ywca on 3rd ave. Brooklyn have studios for $600 ( a slick way for a non-profit to stay a float) is any one familiar with that area? Is that considered downtown Brooklyn? I was walking around there last week at about 3/4pm n it seemed pretty dry... the quiteness of it made is what made me uneasy, but way too many young white girls walking around for me to have much fear....

Old 12-05-2012, 01:02 AM

32 posts, read 38,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
For that rent I think Brooklyn, at least the version of Brooklyn you have been sold, is unavailable to you. However, the other Brooklyn that nobody likes to talk about (at least not the realtors and transplants) IS available to you...how do you feel about East New York? It certainly is quintessential Brooklyn.

I suggest you start getting used to a new phrase you will be saying often: "I live in the Bronx." Say it slowly, come to terms with it, and eventually you, like others, will accept this reality. Welcome (soon!).

Lordy please don't send her to East New York. LOL. I don't even live in NYC yet and I know not to attempt to live in East NY...you're better off in the Bronx.

That said, SobroGuy is not far off the mark. You might be able to rent a room in Brooklyn for $600 (maybe), but bills will NOT be included unless you get really lucky...and would most likely be in Canarsie somewhere, which is right on the border between West and East New York. I would try surfing some of the roommate listings on NYC Craigslist so you'll have an idea of what you will be able to afford.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceSay View Post
Lmao@ sobro... I know the bronx is def. At the bottom of my list, but not off my list. Damn the truth!!! When I use to visit ny back in the day I came to the bronx .. im sure that was considered the hood where I was hanging out, but I wasnt by myself either. All I remember was the elevator smelling like pee n thinking "yall dont smell that?" I see the ywca on 3rd ave. Brooklyn have studios for $600 ( a slick way for a non-profit to stay a float) is any one familiar with that area? Is that considered downtown Brooklyn? I was walking around there last week at about 3/4pm n it seemed pretty dry... the quiteness of it made is what made me uneasy, but way too many young white girls walking around for me to have much fear....
LOL yeah the truth hurts, doesn't it? But at least you aren't going into it too blindly, thanks to C-D. The YWCA is located near Boerum Hill, which is not a bad part of Brooklyn, I don't think, anyway, and it's located near the hub of the Brooklyn subway stations, so you'll be good as far as transportation is concerned. Boerum Hill is also a sort of commercial hub, so that could be an option for you. It's light years better than East New York, I am sure.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:52 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceSay View Post
I wouldn't count on those long term Y's rentals much cause there's usually long waiting lists for them.

Also downtown Brooklyn (the few times I've been caught down there late hours -- in the vicinity of the mall) was like a ghosttown, very scary with only a few people roaming the streets. Some of those people looked very questionable to me. You just won't find many people downtown except around the subway stations, mainly around the J main entrance next to the MTA museum. Even trying to get either a regular taxi or livery taxi can be hard. This was awhile ago so maybe things have changed since then.

[quote=availableusername;27204124]90% of me knows that you're being sarcastic. But from certain people I've come across over the past 5 or ten years, I cannot be completely certain...[/]

Sorry for my slow reply, a lot of times I'm just to tired to stay on-line or I have to do something I need to do.

I was being facetious in my first response to you.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:05 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
There are rooms in the $550 vicinity but they are going to be tiny or transportation-challenged or possibly quirky in some unpleasant way. (A $550 rent will put you at $600 or over once utilities are included.)

Just check craigslist - first search is Queens $450-$550 and next is Brooklyn.
Queens $450-$550 new york rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist
Brooklyn $450-$550 new york rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist

It seems from this search that it might be possible to find something in Southern Brooklyn, like Bensonhurst or Sheepshead Bay. In Queens maybe Flushing or possibly Elmhurst if you're lucky.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:08 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I found this one for $525/month. I can't believe a "room" like this would even be legal. It looks like a fire trap.
Bushwicked Roommate Wanted for Loft Share

Old 12-08-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I found this one for $525/month. I can't believe a "room" like this would even be legal. It looks like a fire trap.
Bushwicked Roommate Wanted for Loft Share
Definitely a fire trap. Wow.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:32 AM

14 posts, read 14,718 times
Just an update: I moved to NY. I have a great job. I live n a pretty cool apartment with 2 roommates in Washington Heights. Rent is $800 a month and includes all utilities, cable n furnished.... ... I've been here a little over 3 mnths. And would like to either move into my own place or have 1 roommate n no cats.... but NY ain't that bad .. at all... I dnt know y the world wants to make it that bad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City