Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:10 PM

223 posts, read 616,019 times

Advertisements

I'm on PP South between White Plains & Bogart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 08:34 AM

37 posts, read 44,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Sorry I didn't want to make it seem like a race thing. It's really a socio-economic issue. Guidos, Bronx Irish, Albanian's and other ethnic whites along with the Hispanics and Blacks in the Bronx will never be willing to spend $12 on a drink or other craziness like that...not on a regular basis. That's the reason why we live in the Bronx...because it's affordable compared to the trendy parts of the city. So basiclly the OP will NEVER find what they are looking for here. So if you are a transplant and you want the NYC experience like what you have seen on Friends and other T.V shows about New York you better have some money so you can move to a place where you can have these experiences. You will not have them in the Bronx.

As far as having a large population of the elderly in Riverdale you are right on the money with that one. I used to go to CMSV and I had to take the #10 bus. Took a full hour to get from Mosholu to the school because the bus literally stops and kneels every two to three blocks. There is an assisted living facility on the grounds of the Hebrew Home for the Aged and there are also several other nursing homes in that area. Lots of old people.
Living in the Bronx has nothing to do with willing to spend $12 for a drink. I am personally getting sick of hearing people saying that it is too expensive for the Bronx. Are they implying that the Bronx residents don't have jobs? Poor? What are they doing with their lives? I live in the Bronx with a good paying job. I'm not rich, but that does not mean I can't splurge and eat at trendy places in the Bronx once in a while. I go to a burger joint called Yo-Burger (similar to Shake Shack or Five Guys) which is more expensive than going to McDonalds, or a frozen yogurt place in Schulyerville which cost more than getting an ice cream, but I can treat myself now and then.

The Bronx is falling behind and need to catch up.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
I'm a freelance writer, so I tend to find cheap neighborhoods that are on the fringe of the city. Far Rockaway was such a place, only my building was ruined by hurricane sandy. I moved to the North Bronx. Yes, there are no cool bars here. But I like that. I'm 36 and too old to really be that interested. When I do get the urge to go to a cool bar, I will go to the village.

But back to the whole idea of 12 drinks in the Bronx, for the most part, it doesn't even happen in Queens where I'm from originally. Queens didn't get the coolness of Brooklyn, and is therefore CHEAPER.

I did move to the Bronx because it is cheap, as did other friends of mine who worked in the education and arts. We are all in our 30s and 40s.

And you know, the entire world doesn't revolve around drunk 20 year old who want to go to bars, nor does the entire world revolve around going to a bar or partying. The Bronx is fine as it is.

Yes, more people might move here, but the Bronx is in no danger of becoming a Williamsburg, especially the North Bronx (long train ride home at night on the 2, 4, 1, or 6 locals, with the D as the only express in the Bronx at night).

Old 12-16-2012, 10:16 AM

37 posts, read 44,297 times
I'm in my 50s and not into the bar scene either. The 20 something bar scene has nothing to do with making the Bronx more of a quality borough. What more quality shopping centers, restaurants and make th borough more attractive like Westchester County. Westchester is a pretty county.

BTW, I hope Donald Trump wil get to build the golf course at Ferry Point Park.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:29 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,427 times
Average, I think not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc2J...e_gdata_player

The Bronx needs to learn how to sell it's best assets.

Urbinity, parks, affordability, housing diversity, transit options, diversity, culture.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:48 AM

30 posts, read 43,295 times
The Bronx is the last Un-pretentious place in the City that has not been Hyped by the real estate masters of deception. Rents are relatively cheap, but is sort of like a boring suburb full of malls now. Nothing exciting. I went to visit a friend there and would compare the bronx to Burbank California full of big box stores and malls. But if you want to live a quiet life then the Bronx is for you.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:56 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
The Bronx was historically a more industrial and residential type of borough. It also along with SI was rural for a longer time than Manhattan and Brooklyn. So it's not surprising. It's similar to SI in that sense but not as isolated. There is interest out there to develop the borough. It just takes time.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:34 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNYorker View Post
The Bronx is the last Un-pretentious place in the City that has not been Hyped by the real estate masters of deception. Rents are relatively cheap, but is sort of like a boring suburb full of malls now. Nothing exciting. I went to visit a friend there and would compare the bronx to Burbank California full of big box stores and malls. But if you want to live a quiet life then the Bronx is for you.
Your analysis is definitely NOT what the Bronx is like. The Bronx has way more small business then big box stores and malls.

The Bronx is 25℅ parkland.
The Bronx is denser than Brooklyn. (Excluding park land)
The Bronx is extremely walkable
The Bronx has excellent transit options.
The Bronx has some of the most diverse residential architecture in the city. From Art Deco to Tudor.
The Bronx has NY state's first LEED Stage 2 Certification neighborhood.
The Bronx has the Yankees, the Bronx Zoo, Orchard Beach, the Botanical Gardens, Wave Hill, City Island, the Bronx Museum Of Arts, the Edgar Allen Poe Cottage/Park, soon a Bronx River Green way, and many other attractions.

The Bronx needs better marketing. At the same time the Bronx leads the nation in construction and still sees population growth so it's not doing that bad.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:11 AM

579 posts, read 945,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Your analysis is definitely NOT what the Bronx is like. The Bronx has way more small business then big box stores and malls.

The Bronx has some of the most diverse residential architecture in the city. From Art Deco to Tudor.
The Bronx has the Yankees, the Bronx Zoo, Orchard Beach, the Botanical Gardens, Wave Hill, City Island, the Bronx Museum Of Arts, the Edgar Allen Poe Cottage/Park, soon a Bronx River Green way, and many other attractions.

The Bronx needs better marketing. At the same time the Bronx leads the nation in construction and still sees population growth so it's not doing that bad.
I agree. And even the gays are moving in. In my buiding there are several gay couples who have left brooklyn and manhattan.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:57 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post

And there are a number of universities in the Bronx, Fordhman, Lehman, Manhattan College, Albert Einstein, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City