Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 05:03 PM

370 posts, read 624,614 times

Advertisements

The average New York City consumer has about $5,300 in credit card debt, according to Credit Karma. Link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 05:10 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
The average New York City consumer has about $5,300 in credit card debt, according to Credit Karma. Link
Now we just need a figure for the average NYC City-Data poster.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:07 PM

6 posts, read 10,669 times
Quote:
As someone who used to have a lot of credit card debt, I can tell you anyone who has a high balance will probably not even peek into this thread as it will probably cause queasiness- debt stresses people out. I had about 10K in cc debt when I was around 22, mostly because I had no idea how to handle money. I started reading Dave Ramsey's books and started following his snowball technique and I can now say I have no credit card debt. It takes time but stick with it. Good luck
I agree with stress levels. I always "plan" on making more money every year and I know this is a horrible logic. I graduated college with about $3k in CC debt and it skyrocketed in past 6 years. No extravagant purchases or livestyle. Just restaurants in Manhattan (dating), bars, clothing for work (suiting/shirts), dry cleaners, gas, metrocards, etc, etc, etc. I bought a new car after college (which is now paid off!) and still have about $25k in student loans. I live OUTSIDE of Manhattan (in queens) so housing is relatively inexpensive ($1350 1 bedroom) but could do a lot better with a roommate. Anyway, I know what I need to do (not looking for financial advice, haha) but I am a little surprised everyone is paying in full every month. Congrats to you guys!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:12 PM

86 posts, read 126,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I pay mine off every month too. Sometimes I get a free gift of $50 from the credit card company. This seems to happen about twice a year. I'm not sure what triggers it -- probably a lot of purchases. They are probably hoping one day I will screw up and forget to pay on time one month and they can then charge me lots of late fees and increase my interest rate, and all the nice things they put in fine print.

I don't think credit card debt has anything to do with living in NYC. It's a huge problem throughout the country. I think it has to do with a budgeting problem and not so much with the region in which one lives.
Truer words never spoken. It doesn't matter where you are... If you can't control yourself financially you will have debt.

That said. To OP, on 70k you have debt? People here make way less and support families.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:03 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
We need someone in debt to joint in the discussion. We need balance of the force.

Oh, by the way, where is the OP? Don't be shy for a comeback.

We had someone with high credit card debt a little while ago, but alas, they pulled his internet connection.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:29 AM

106,634 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
you have to wonder though how much is at zero percent and by choice.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:18 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,249 times
I really don't care if the banks jerk up the rate to 50% or even 100%. If my credit cards stop giving me bonus points, I will stop using them. If they charge me membership fee, I will cut them up.

22 years ago, I received an invitation for an American Express Card. I asked a coworker, if I put down "unemployed", can I still get the card? He said no and I said yes. We bet $50. I filled out the form in front of him. Asset: $1000, income: $0, employer: unemployed. 2 weeks later, I got my GOLD card and won $50, but I had to pay $75 for membership. That was the last time I paid any credit card fee. I canceled my gold card 10 months later to avoid another $75.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:35 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
I really don't care if the banks jerk up the rate to 50% or even 100%. If my credit cards stop giving me bonus points, I will stop using them. If they charge me membership fee, I will cut them up.

22 years ago, I received an invitation for an American Express Card. I asked a coworker, if I put down "unemployed", can I still get the card? He said no and I said yes. We bet $50. I filled out the form in front of him. Asset: $1000, income: $0, employer: unemployed. 2 weeks later, I got my GOLD card and won $50, but I had to pay $75 for membership. That was the last time I paid any credit card fee. I canceled my gold card 10 months later to avoid another $75.
Last year (and maybe this year too) Southwest airlines was offering 50,000 miles after $500 dollars in purchases within 6 months. So I went ahead, got the card, spent $500 dollars and got 50,000 worth of miles but I had no place to flight to, so instead I redeemed them for gift cards.
I got $500 dollars worth of credit with Amazon. Before they charged me any annual fees (which was $75 a year) I paid it off, and closed the account.

It worked great for me, I got free money for just spending money I had to spend anyway.

Now, I'm looking foward to seeing another similar deal.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:34 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,557,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Carrying Credit card debt is a stupid way to run one's finances. The rates are usurious and should be better regulated.
I think you can get better rates from some of the neighborhood loan sharks...like Bruno "The Plumber."

I saw an ad on the TV last week for "Western Sky" financial, trying to reel in people in bad situations with promises of easy money. The rates were in small print, difficult to see on the TV, but I thought I saw "69% APR". It seemed so ridiculous I looked up their website - they start at 69% APR and go up to 350% APR. Now that is ursury - and the people who'll end up in this trap are probably the least financially savvy and least able to pay.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:59 AM

34,078 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I saw an ad on the TV last week for "Western Sky" financial, trying to reel in people in bad situations with promises of easy money. The rates were in small print, difficult to see on the TV, but I thought I saw "69% APR". It seemed so ridiculous I looked up their website - they start at 69% APR and go up to 350% APR. Now that is ursury - and the people who'll end up in this trap are probably the least financially savvy and least able to pay.
That's not a credit card....that's those same day loan things....we're talking about credit card debt....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: