Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 07:13 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
WHERE are you from???

Because, electric just wasn't heard of in NYC, and still is a rarity.

Yet, in some suburban locales, and especially out in Transplantland, particularly in warm climes, electric heat/pumps are the norm, as well as electric stoves. Out West too, in my experience, electric is prevalent.

Are you from the "North", a less *new* area? That would explain your experience.

Down South and out West, generally, the suburban areas are newer, and there are no "Gas" utilities nor "Gas" infrastructure, so NO gas!! Which is not necessarily unusual in the Tri State, in the far suburbs (than and now), where people may buy and use "Propane"; but in the South and West, builders tend to just install electric stoves.

In many such places, finding Propane is difficult, even if you insisted upon a gas stove.

I suppose you might hail from an "Industrialized" area ("Rust Belt"?)????

Also, note, I did say "likely"!
Detroit. I never knew electric stoves were so prevalent in other places. I can't stand the idea of waiting for my stove top to be hot :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 08:40 AM

483 posts, read 869,984 times
OP should note Brooklyn, New York has become the second most expensive place to live in United Staes; with Manhattan placing first. So with these facts in mind, realize RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH !

Old 12-20-2012, 09:01 AM

317 posts, read 819,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernski View Post
OP should note Brooklyn, New York has become the second most expensive place to live in United Staes; with Manhattan placing first. So with these facts in mind, realize RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH !
Exactly that's whats pushing me towards the Astoria area..lol. My Realtor has been taking me to Brooklyn and many of the apartments were just as small and just as expensive as the ones I was shown in Manhattan.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:15 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Detroit. I never knew electric stoves were so prevalent in other places. I can't stand the idea of waiting for my stove top to be hot :/
LOL. You don't have to wait for it to get hot, it gets hot instantly. I don't care for them because you can't judge by the dial if something is really low or closer to high than medium. You can see by sight by the height of the flame how much heat is being applied.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:38 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
LOL. You don't have to wait for it to get hot, it gets hot instantly. I don't care for them because you can't judge by the dial if something is really low or closer to high than medium. You can see by sight by the height of the flame how much heat is being applied.
I haven't used an electric stove for a long while. I didn't know that they got hot instantly. I do like the idea of the inductive surface ones that are hot for cooking but cold to touch. (i think they're called inductive. i forget)

Old 12-20-2012, 06:57 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
I haven't used an electric stove for a long while. I didn't know that they got hot instantly. I do like the idea of the inductive surface ones that are hot for cooking but cold to touch. (i think they're called inductive. i forget)
Induction.

The thing is though, and don't take this as an insult, the fact that you expect instant hot (on a gas stove), speaks more to the quality or lack of quality of your cooking instruments.

Quality pots and pans take time to heat up on a gas stove. For example, All Clad, Calphalon (commercial) and/or Cast Iron, will all need, at least, 5 to 10 to get cooking hot. Once hot they will STAY hot! Even long after the flame is out.

Quality is all about even heating and even cooking, even meaning temps. This is particularly evident when using low to moderate heat. Crappy stoves can't do it, and crappy pans can't maintain even low temps; and can't deal with high temps at all!

"Instant hot" is a mark of less than good quality and it will show in the cooking results. Another mark is nonstick pans!! Wholly unnecessary, not to mention that you are EATING that **** they put onto the pans, which comes off into your food, gradually over time!!!! Your eating that chemical crap!

Anyway, I digress.....

Old 12-20-2012, 07:00 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
Exactly that's whats pushing me towards the Astoria area..lol. My Realtor has been taking me to Brooklyn and many of the apartments were just as small and just as expensive as the ones I was shown in Manhattan.
Ahhhh, jfyi, if you don't need to live in the trendy areas, nor super modern housing, and can deal with a 30 to 60 minute commute, you can, indeed, find larger apts for less money!!!

For you, Ditmas Park to Midwood to Madison, w/b good areas. ALSO, anywhere along Ocean Parkway from Church Avenue onward. Note, the larger apts will virtually all be pre wars with few amenities. There are a few latter post war buildings with parking, and some amenities, including pools (50s era luxury).

So, if you are about becoming a *real* NYer, that w/b the way to go.

One thing to know, a broker from Manhattan or the trendy areas will not be capable of showing you these areas! Cocorcan (sp?) Doesn't have an offiice in Midwood!

I suggest you take the car and go cruising, BQE to Prospect Expressway all the way to Ocean Parkway. The Parkway goes all the way to Coney Island.

Or, you can take the "B" train to any station from Church Avenue onward to Coney Island. Any stop between those two is safe and affordable. Just not trendy nor hip and fashionable. Very reasonable commute and most typical of *real* NYers.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:36 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
WHERE are you from???

Because, electric just wasn't heard of in NYC, and still is a rarity.

Yet, in some suburban locales, and especially out in Transplantland, particularly in warm climes, electric heat/pumps are the norm, as well as electric stoves. Out West too, in my experience, electric is prevalent.

Are you from the "North", a less *new* area? That would explain your experience.

Down South and out West, generally, the suburban areas are newer, and there are no "Gas" utilities nor "Gas" infrastructure, so NO gas!! Which is not necessarily unusual in the Tri State, in the far suburbs (than and now), where people may buy and use "Propane"; but in the South and West, builders tend to just install electric stoves.

In many such places, finding Propane is difficult, even if you insisted upon a gas stove.

I suppose you might hail from an "Industrialized" area ("Rust Belt"?)????

Also, note, I did say "likely"!
Lefrak City in Corona, Queens has all electric stoves.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:54 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
While you look at Astoria, consider some other Queens neighborhoods close to Astoria like Sunnyside and Woodside. Even neighborhoods just a little further out like Rego Park or Forest Hills will have lots of apartment buildings with parking.

Rapid Realty is a big real estate company with offices all over New York. RapidNYC | New York Apartments, Brooklyn Apartments, No Broker Fee Here is their Astoria, NY office, but they will be able to show you other places in Queens that are close and have bigger places.

Rapid Realty
RapidNYC | New York Apartments, Brooklyn Apartments, No Broker Fee
Google+ page
45-05 34th Ave
Queens
(718) 715-4254
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City