Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 01:19 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
However, our newest New Yorker...dearest Courtney...will fit right in using the word LIKE instead of ABOUT.

as in...

I lived in brooklyn like 2 days before they stole my car.
Again, another stupid short sighted comment. I use "like" as a regular part of my vocabulary. A holdover from gowning up in Westchester. A person of color who, like, drives a nice car, and, like, lives in Bed Stuy, will fit in just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 01:34 PM

41 posts, read 94,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You really don't get it.

You do not want to work in or around these buildings either.

Think.

Yes, think.

Why is it that they have to recruit for a manager for these buildings ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE COUNTRY? Preferably someone like you who does not know anything about NYC and Brooklyn's hoods. When every OTHER job out there is "local candidates only" due to oversupply of labor and high unemployment.

The owner of the building lives out here in LA. He owns several different buildings, one of which his ex wife lives in and manages, but she also has a career job, so she is not able to effectively manage the other buildings. So they hired someone to manage the two buildings and that person (from the owner's words) is lazy and doesn't follow up with the tenant's issues in a timely manner, or collect the rents on time, etc. I'm not going into this thinking it's going to be all sunshine, rainbows, and unicorns. I know it's going to be tough and that the transition is not going to be easy. But, moving to LA from Alabama 2 days after my high school graduation with $40 in my pocket and no plan whatsoever was not easy either. That was 4 years ago, and I wouldn't trade that experience or the journey that sprouted from that experience, for anything. Best time of my life!

So, have I thought about what is going to be like? Yes. Do I understand that I'm going to be in for a culture shock? Yes. Should I allow fear of a particular neighborhood prevent me from accepting an opportunity to experience living in New York, rent free, and with a job already lined up? Heck no! lol. What's the point of life if we allow fear, or negative perceptions, to detour us from a potentially awesome experience? Obviously, I'm not going to purposefully put myself into a really bad neighborhood if it's avoidable, so I came on here to figure out which, of the two, were better in terms of safety. Thank you for your advice though. I appreciate your candor.

Quote:
What they will say when they hear you say hella legit:

"Whatta you a pansy a&$# m*$&@&*@# f*%&&@er???? Get the f*$#@@ outta here!"
LOL! "Get the f*$#@@ outta here!" So New York! The first time I hear that I will probably jump up and yell "I'm in NEW YOOORRRRK!" hahahahaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
However, our newest New Yorker...dearest Courtney...will fit right in using the word LIKE instead of ABOUT.

as in...

I lived in brooklyn like 2 days before they stole my car.
LOL!!!! No, if we are talking in terms of time, I would insert "for like" since "like", when used as a preposition, shows relation to something being, or perceived as, similar in quantity or characteristics(like two inches of snow).

As in..

"I lived in Brooklyn for like 2 days before they stole my car. I only had to drive around in my rental car for like a week or two before my insurance cut me a check, and I went and bought another car. Go State Farm!"

Old 12-11-2012, 01:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimisticStudent View Post
The owner of the building lives out here in LA. He owns several different buildings, one of which his ex wife lives in and manages, but she also has a career job, so she is not able to effectively manage the other buildings. So they hired someone to manage the two buildings and that person (from the owner's words) is lazy and doesn't follow up with the tenant's issues in a timely manner, or collect the rents on time, etc. I'm not going into this thinking it's going to be all sunshine, rainbows, and unicorns. I know it's going to be tough and that the transition is not going to be easy. But, moving to LA from Alabama 2 days after my high school graduation with $40 in my pocket and no plan whatsoever was not easy either. That was 4 years ago, and I wouldn't trade that experience or the journey that sprouted from that experience, for anything. Best time of my life!

So, have I thought about what is going to be like? Yes. Do I understand that I'm going to be in for a culture shock? Yes. Should I allow fear of a particular neighborhood prevent me from accepting an opportunity to experience living in New York, rent free, and with a job already lined up? Heck no! lol. What's the point of life if we allow fear, or negative perceptions, to detour us from a potentially awesome experience? Obviously, I'm not going to purposefully put myself into a really bad neighborhood if it's avoidable, so I came on here to figure out which, of the two, were better in terms of safety. Thank you for your advice though. I appreciate your candor.

LOL! "Get the f*$#@@ outta here!" So New York! The first time I hear that I will probably jump up and yell "I'm in NEW YOOORRRRK!" hahahahaa

LOL!!!! No, if we are talking in terms of time, I would insert "for like" since "like" is a preposition to show relation to something being, or perceived as, similar in quantity, characteristics(like two inches of snow).

As in..

"I lived in Brooklyn for like 2 days before they stole my car. I only had to drive around in my rental car for like a week or two before my insurance cut me a check, and I went and bought another car. Go State Farm!"
We are mostly just having some fun with you.

Good to see you have a sense of humor! (You will need it around here!)

Old 12-11-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Well, I have a car, and it's nice (as in luxury convertible) and I live in Bed Stuy- albeit in Western section which is well on it's way to gentrification complete with white people pushing baby strollers. I have a friend that lives in the eastern area near Malcolm X and Jefferson and have never had issues with my car parked over there, ever- and this is when I've been over there for parties that go into the wee hours. She has a car and parks it on the street. It's also a "nice car" (newer model SUV). Only issue she had was that someone keyed her car- the likely suspect was her crazy azz ex boyfriend. But I should point out that she didn't like to park her car on Malcolm X

White people are overrated!

Old 12-11-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
This comment is stupid and short sighted. People from way out of state can, will, and do get jobs in NYC. Especially when they have a college education and or training/skills suitable for the job.
Quote:
Again, another stupid short sighted comment. I use "like" as a regular part of my vocabulary. A holdover from gowning up in Westchester. A person of color who, like, drives a nice car, and, like, lives in Bed Stuy, will fit in just fine.
Lol!!! Bed Stuy here I come!

Old 12-11-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
We are mostly just having some fun with you.

Good to see you have a sense of humor! (You will need it around here!)
lol, I'm sure I will! I'm wondering if after some time I will develop a New Yorker accent. I think that would be pretty cool. lol

Old 12-11-2012, 02:34 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Quote:
I wish you the best in finding like a job that will like pay you more than like minimum wage.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimisticStudent View Post
lol, I'm sure I will! I'm wondering if after some time I will develop a New Yorker accent. I think that would be pretty cool. lol
I don't know about the accent, but you might develop a NY attitude!

Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 PM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
These are hot hoods, with Brownsville being one of the hottest in the whole city.
Yeah. It's real hot. As 50 said on his first album, "In December I'll make your block feel like summer."

Old 12-11-2012, 02:57 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:

White people are overrated!

"I see white people" sticker spotted in gentrifying BK LOL
That's so NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: