Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 02:29 PM

84 posts, read 244,364 times

Advertisements

Thank you the input, but I rather not turn this thread into a demographics discussion of Jackson heights, if you guys could create another thread to discuss that I would appreciate it.

I'm grateful for the advice on neighborhoods, we did think about Maspeth, but the lack of transportation is a deal breaker.

I think we'll be focusing in Sunnyside, maybe Jackson heights, Rego Park and Forest hills.
I like Kew Gardens too, but it's kind of far out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 02:38 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
FH daddy the census IS the best picture we can get in terms of demographics. Just because neighborhoods share a zip it does not mean the number of one group will disapear once you enter the other neighborehood. Your logic (or rather lack therefore) is absurd.
You claim, East Elmhurst and Corona have more foreign-born populations but have offered nothing to back that up.
That you said that is a good indication you're clueless about this one too.

edit: sorry OP just saw your comment. This should be me last one, just had to reply to the absurdity of FH daddy, claiming the foreign-born population of JH is from elsehwhere.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:51 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
You claim, East Elmhurst and Corona have more foreign-born populations but have offered nothing to back that up.
It's in the census. Corona's zip for one is definitely "overwhelming" - majority are foreign born. Tsk...tsk...not reading your own sources. Now that is truly absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Just because neighborhoods share a zip it does not mean the number of one group will disapear once you enter the other neighborehood.
So then Forest Hills isn't a good neighborhood to live in, right? A large number of Chinese and Central Asian immigrants are registered in its zip code and they're not going to disappear.

Please stop posting falsehoods that betray your ignorance and there will be no need to debate demographics.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
It's in the census. Corona's zip for one is definitely "overwhelming" - majority are foreign born. Tsk...tsk...not reading your own sources. Now that is truly absurd.

So then Forest Hills isn't a good neighborhood to live in, right? A large number of Chinese and Central Asian immigrants are registered in its zip code and they're not going to disappear.

Please stop posting falsehoods that betray your ignorance and there will be no need to debate demographics.
You said Corona has more immigrants than JH. I asked for census data to put this to rest. Corona might have an overwhelming amount of immigrants but is it more than JH? I'm curious to know. I might be wrong but my guess is that they are very close.

Lastly, You're being ridiculous and putting words in my mouth I never said.
When did I say a neighborhood is not good because of its immigrants? Maybe that's what YOU believe because I never said it.
since i dont wanna hijack this thread more than i"ve already done, ill let you have the satisfaction of posting the last word so you can feel like you won't this one.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:33 PM

That's the title of this thread - good places to live for a young family. If you didn't think demographics is a factor then you wouldn't have introduced it to the discussion (oops!). Stop being defensive and just admit your error.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 AM

1) that's not the name of the thread and 2) go read on what I said because clearly you have poor reading comp. Skills

Old 12-11-2012, 02:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on-wheels View Post
Thank you the input, but I rather not turn this thread into a demographics discussion of Jackson heights, if you guys could create another thread to discuss that I would appreciate it.

I'm grateful for the advice on neighborhoods, we did think about Maspeth, but the lack of transportation is a deal breaker.

I think we'll be focusing in Sunnyside, maybe Jackson heights, Rego Park and Forest hills.
I like Kew Gardens
too, but it's kind of far out.
Nobody brought up schools. OP, if you buy, you might end up there longer than 5-7 years. Posters: which of these areas has the most desirable schools for the OP's child?

Old 12-11-2012, 08:22 PM

/\/\

None of the above. Maybe PS 196 and PS 99; even then those schools are crowded. They will likely have to go to Catholic or private schools. Some of the more notable in Queens are Our Lady Queen of Martyrs (Forest Hills), Joan of Arc (Jackson Heights - a blue ribbon school), Our Lady of the Angelus (Rego Park) and Sacred Heart (Bayside).

Old 12-12-2012, 10:36 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
/\/\

None of the above. Maybe PS 196 and PS 99; even then those schools are crowded. They will likely have to go to Catholic or private schools. Some of the more notable in Queens are Our Lady Queen of Martyrs (Forest Hills), Joan of Arc (Jackson Heights - a blue ribbon school), Our Lady of the Angelus (Rego Park) and Sacred Heart (Bayside).
It doesn't seem like the OP has the money for private schools. Are there any neighborhoods that can be recommended that people would send their children to public school?

Old 12-12-2012, 11:59 AM

/\/\

Now that's gonna be tough to answer. I gues anywhere zoned for PS 196, PS 101 and PS 99, or the elementary schools in SD 26 (Bayside). That would be your best bet among public schools. Middle and HS is a different game. Too bad living outside the city is not an option for the OP as he stated, being a city employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: