Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:29 AM

290 posts, read 688,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamEntropy36 View Post
That broker fee is definitely outrageous for a renter to pay, I think the broker gets paid from the renters and the Realtor gets paid from the owners trying to get their place rented so the cost is going to hit someone either way.

I'm going to aim for using a Realtor and I also found that last time I was up there I went to visit friends and just from meeting people someone offered me their lease that was getting ready to end, but unfortunately I wasn't ready to move up there at that time. Hopefully that type of situation happens when I'm up there apartment searching next month.
Well good luck my friend! In a world where being at the right place at the right time, or "knowing somebody," is crucial in life..that situation happening for you will be extremely beneficial. Let us know how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 07:43 AM

65 posts, read 239,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otown native View Post
Well good luck my friend! In a world where being at the right place at the right time, or "knowing somebody," is crucial in life..that situation happening for you will be extremely beneficial. Let us know how it goes.
Thanks luck is what I need

Old 12-17-2012, 07:03 PM

145 posts, read 334,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
Did you get charge first month las month and an extra crazy amount on top of that ? Or was it just the standard first and last months rent?
first, last and one month security deposit.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:35 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,235 times
I used naked apartments a broker is useful when you dont have time to look.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:17 PM

25 posts, read 53,224 times
I stumbled on another website today, bestaptsnyc.com ....any opinions? To be honest, the prices seemed suspiciously low on some of the ads I looked at (I was looking at East Village and found 1/1s for $1600!). Are scams common? I.e. Posting the rental price at a much lower number than it actually is just to get people's attention? I've seen multiple people mention the "bait and switch." But I am wondering if sometimes brokers post the rental fee at a low number and say "oh, well thats the fee for the apartment I have available in Harlem, this one here is $2400" (haha just an example...not sure if this happens, hope not!).

And I agree on broker's fees...ridiculous! I guess if you can find an apartment directly through the owner then yay...but as someone who will be moving from Canada, I think I need the help of a broker (good thing I brought broker fee's into my negotiations with my company who are relocating me...)

Old 12-18-2012, 08:58 AM

65 posts, read 239,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by em31 View Post
I stumbled on another website today, bestaptsnyc.com ....any opinions? To be honest, the prices seemed suspiciously low on some of the ads I looked at (I was looking at East Village and found 1/1s for $1600!). Are scams common? I.e. Posting the rental price at a much lower number than it actually is just to get people's attention? I've seen multiple people mention the "bait and switch." But I am wondering if sometimes brokers post the rental fee at a low number and say "oh, well thats the fee for the apartment I have available in Harlem, this one here is $2400" (haha just an example...not sure if this happens, hope not!).

And I agree on broker's fees...ridiculous! I guess if you can find an apartment directly through the owner then yay...but as someone who will be moving from Canada, I think I need the help of a broker (good thing I brought broker fee's into my negotiations with my company who are relocating me...)
Yes, that's low for a 1bdrm in Manhattan... I'm noticing $1500 for studios in very few locations in Manhattan that are available, but if you go to Astoria Queens $1500 can get you a 1bdrm, Brooklyn is mimicking Manhattan prices I've noticed unless your willing to live in newly gentrified neighborhoods (aka, a block from the projects, but with a starbucks nearby). I think also if you read the description the 1bdrm for $1600 is really a 5bdrm and 1bdrm will be your part of the deal along with roommates, but the title with post as if its a 1bdrm apartment by yourself.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:12 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
I found mine on craigslist. Actually my landlord found me. I was searching and viewing quite a few places on CL but I also put my own ad in the housing wanted section. In doing that though you still have to deal with all the scammers and aggressive brokers calling you.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:35 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
I havent been reading this thread but if you want a studio or 1 bedroomeer dont look shorty then then the bronx. SobroGuy guy who is a lifelong resident of the area helps you .
There are studios for 650 but those are hellholes!

Old 12-18-2012, 05:54 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Newspaper ad...16 years on the waiting list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City