Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 09:34 AM

7 posts, read 9,062 times

Advertisements

I appriciated the constructive answers, thanks to those that gave them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 06:48 AM

7 posts, read 9,062 times
Well, its been a while, and since I went through with this, I thought I'd update.

In January, I accepted the job in Melville, and moved from Chicago to DUMBO, in Brooklyn. I actually live a bit up from DUMBO in Vinegar Hill, where parking isn't an issue 95% of days, and is just a few blocks from the BQE. Here's my take on this:

Usual drive time: 50 min. I leave around 7:00-7:10 in the morning. I stop for coffee, and am usually in the office around 7:50-8:10. There have been days where this has been a bit later, but they are far between. For a while I was carpooling with a friend in Bushwick, and even stopping there, I was in the office by 8:30.

Usual drive time: 75 min. I usually leave Melville around 5:00-5:15. I use the app Waze (which is awesome) and usually end up on the LIE but sometimes take the Northern State. I'm usually home anywhere between 6:10 and 6:30. If I stop at the grocery I'm home around 6:30-6:45.

I've tried taking the LIRR, and the timing both ways is about the same, all in. Problem is, my office doesn't provide a shuttle from the Farmingdale station, and its about 3 miles away. I've gotten a ride from a co-worker, but I don't want to rely on it every day. I can't park there overnight without a pass, and there's a waiting list to get a pass for non-residents. I'm on the waiting list, and if my name comes up I may switch to the train and only drive Monday morning, leave my car in Long Island for Monday evening through Friday morning, then drive home Friday night.

All in all, I spend about 2 hours a day in the car. Take that as you will, I was doing a very similar drive in Chicago so it really hasn't phased me. It gives me time to decompress, call the parents (hands-free only!), or just catch up on NPR podcasts. I wouldn't change it. Co-workers that are around my age end up spending the weekends in the city anyway, crashing on couches or running to catch the LIRR back to LI, and missing out on weekday evening events. I really love being in Brooklyn and only being one stop to Manhattan. Just thought I'd give an update.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:49 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
When you grow up you will be moving to the burbs and loving it.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:49 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
When you grow up you will be moving to the burbs and loving it.
Why so? What is in the 'burbs that can't be found in the outerboros?

Old 10-21-2013, 11:46 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Why so? What is in the 'burbs that can't be found in the outerboros?
Affordable housing for 3+ bedrooms that is in good public school district and different pace of life. Don't get me wrong, NYC has its advantages but so does the burbs.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
The advantage is that you'll always be paying an off peak fare.
For future reference, if you get a monthly pass, you don't pay an off-peak fare anyway.

FWIW, I didn't see this thread at the time it was originally made, but I might've thrown Woodside out there as a suggestion. Right along the LIRR, and not too far from the LIE. (Though many times, it might be better to take local streets until you get further out).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City