Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 12:30 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ you want that scrilla yo.
If I were really out for the money, I would of taken advantage of the inflated rents Section 8 pays for Bronx apartments and strictly rent to Section 8 tenants and thus make a killing. But I refuse to rent to Section 8 tenants despite how profitable it is. That alone should tell you I'm not out for the money, I'm out for quality of life, safety, quiet, cleaniness, all the things Section 8 tenant DON'T represent and bring to the table.

I want people that clean up after their dogs, people who don't write graffiti on the walls, people who don't talk all loud and dirty, people who don't **** in the elevator, people who don't leave liquor bottles in the hallways, I want a building/neighborhood where you walk into the lobby and you DON'T smell weed in the air. Get the picture? Gentrification of the Bronx will get rid of most of those things. That's why I support it, not for monetary reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 12:35 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
^ ok, that's a noble enough reason. who
likes slobs anyway? you'd still want to
do better than just break even tho, right?

Old 12-13-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ ok, that's a noble enough reason. who
likes slobs anyway? you'd still want to
do better than just break even tho, right?
You're in busy to make money, not lose money. You can still make money not renting to Section 8 tenants. Obviously you won't be making as much but at lease you have peace of mind with less headaches and grief. Plus, having respectable/courteous tenants makes managing the property a piece of cake.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:46 PM

770 posts, read 1,130,547 times
Despite what "El Jefe Sobro" proclaims that I am living in a romantic fantasyland, the Bronx was much better about 50 years ago than now. In ever metric from housing, school scores and achievement, tax revenues, crime, public safety, it was generally better. Many of my older relatives and family friends can vouch for this. What hurt our beloved Bronx was many factors, and chief among them was Robert Moses, and liberal policies.
Here is a picture of 4th of July kids dancing at Poe Park in 1964. Doubt we will ever see those times again.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:47 PM

770 posts, read 1,130,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
If I were really out for the money, I would of taken advantage of the inflated rents Section 8 pays for Bronx apartments and strictly rent to Section 8 tenants and thus make a killing. But I refuse to rent to Section 8 tenants despite how profitable it is. That alone should tell you I'm not out for the money, I'm out for quality of life, safety, quiet, cleaniness, all the things Section 8 tenant DON'T represent and bring to the table.

I want people that clean up after their dogs, people who don't write graffiti on the walls, people who don't talk all loud and dirty, people who don't **** in the elevator, people who don't leave liquor bottles in the hallways, I want a building/neighborhood where you walk into the lobby and you DON'T smell weed in the air. Get the picture? Gentrification of the Bronx will get rid of most of those things. That's why I support it, not for monetary reasons.

I have to concur, quality of life is more important than just profits. Dirtbags ruin neighborhoods, good people don't want their Quality of life impacted so they leave, more drugs, crime, dirtbags come in.

Rent to those who are good and civil.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:50 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,132 times
Quote:

This statement is a respectable one... It's when you introduce your idiotic nonsense ideas about race that people call you out on it... This issue isn't a race issue but as you mentioned on here it's a class issue... In this city, you're not wrong when you say that the majority of the ghetto people in this city are either black/hispanic but that has only been the case for the last 10-15 years in this city... Across the country there are still plenty of run-down violent trashy majority white areas that will have you on edge way more than most hood areas in NYC today. Try visiting Seattle or Tacoma, Washington and see the type of white people you find there... And this is without all the issues and uphill battles that other minorities had to climb... What the hell is there excuse? But the difference between me and you is that I know those are isolated cases just like I know that the idiots who glorify the ghetto culture in this city are isolated cases as well...

When you speak the way you do about certain races and lump everyone into one category, you show your ignorance... There are plenty of non-violent working class majority black areas or areas that have a significant middle class black population in this city...

Same goes for areas with a hispanic plurality and this has become even more common in recent years with the continued drop in the crime rate... Are things perfect? Of course not. Especially in the Bronx, there's still plenty of things that need to be done, but these areas that are majority Black/Hispanic to this day are world's better than they were one generation ago...

Old 12-13-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
Despite what "El Jefe Sobro" proclaims that I am living in a romantic fantasyland, the Bronx was much better about 50 years ago than now. In ever metric from housing, school scores and achievement, tax revenues, crime, public safety, it was generally better. Many of my older relatives and family friends can vouch for this. What hurt our beloved Bronx was many factors, and chief among them was Robert Moses, and liberal policies.
Here is a picture of 4th of July kids dancing at Poe Park in 1964. Doubt we will ever see those times again.
Well put Webster Ave Guy. Pictures don't lie and they sure are worth a 1000 words. Pay close attention to the INNOCENCE behind the picture. Pay attention to the IDEA of family back then where you had BOTH mother and father looking out for the best interest of their child by taking them out to a little dance in the park. No fear of a drive by shooting, no crackhead in the background, no graffiti on the park benches, etc.

All those "hood" things I mentioned were introduced by the invading demographics that flooded the Bronx starting in the 60s. If I were to go down to Poe Park now and take a picture standing in the very same place where this vintage picture was taken, what do you think my camera would capture?

Old 12-13-2012, 12:58 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,132 times
Quote:
Well put Webster Ave Guy. Pictures don't lie and they sure are worth a 1000 words. Pay close attention to the INNOCENCE behind the picture. Pay attention to the IDEA of family back then where you had BOTH mother and father looking out for the best interest of their child by taking them out to a little dance in the park. No fear of a drive by shooting, no crackhead in the background, no graffiti on the park benches, etc.

All those "hood" things I mentioned were introduced by the invading demographics that flooded the Bronx starting in the 60s. If I were to go down to Poe Park now and take a picture standing in the very same place where this vintage picture was taken, what do you think my camera would capture?
And you were doing so well...

Old 12-13-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
This statement is a respectable one... It's when you introduce your idiotic nonsense ideas about race that people call you out on it... This issue isn't a race issue but as you mentioned on here it's a class issue... In this city, you're not wrong when you say that the majority of the ghetto people in this city are either black/hispanic but that has only been the case for the last 10-15 years in this city... Across the country there are still plenty of run-down violent trashy majority white areas that will have you on edge way more than most hood areas in NYC today. Try visiting Seattle or Tacoma, Washington and see the type of white people you find there... And this is without all the issues and uphill battles that other minorities had to climb... What the hell is there excuse? But the difference between me and you is that I know those are isolated cases just like I know that the idiots who glorify the ghetto culture in this city are isolated cases as well...

When you speak the way you do about certain races and lump everyone into one category, you show your ignorance... There are plenty of non-violent working class majority black areas or areas that have a significant middle class black population in this city...

Same goes for areas with a hispanic plurality and this has become even more common in recent years with the continued drop in the crime rate... Are things perfect? Of course not. Especially in the Bronx, there's still plenty of things that need to be done, but these areas that are majority Black/Hispanic to this day are world's better than they were one generation ago...
Yes it's a CLASS issue, not race. But just you wait, pretty soon I won't be surprised if instead of being called a racist, I'm now called a classist...LOL. Someone will always be offended now matter what.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
And you were doing so well...
Dude, you don't get it. I call it as I see it. I'm not racist for pointing out facts. It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City