Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:49 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,291,348 times

Advertisements

Jobs take an unusually long time to secure in NYC and temp agencies are reluctant to take anyone who has only been in town for a month. They might help eventually, but it’s not an immediate solution. Your timing’s unfortunate as few places hire during the holidays. I would suggest:

Network, network, network. The fastest way to get a job is through a friend. Post your situation on Facebook and get a LinkedIn account. You probably don’t have many friends in the city yet, but it’s a good place to start. Touch base with college friends as well. You never know who has cousin in New York, etc.

Experience matters to an extreme degree. This town is so competitive that employers can usually get exactly what they want. They don’t need to take a chance on someone with no experience. I wouldn’t bother trying to get a real (i.e., sit down) restaurant job if you’ve never done it before. New York is a service town and they want people who know what they’re doing. I’d try for a counter job at a place with a high turnover. Starbucks, maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 01:32 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,110,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
First thing Monday morning go to the unemployment office to start collecting your benefits.
You don't qualify for unemployment if you only had the job for a month.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:18 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
smh this sounds like an emergency.
i hope you have some family in ny
somewhere. nobody else will save
you for real, so don't wait to fall
between the cracks. that won't be
good.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:03 PM

156 posts, read 193,474 times
Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you all. I don't have home internet at the moment. I have been reading all the posts via my cell, though.

So, I have been taking everyones' advice. I've been walking around Manhattan looking for places that are hiring people for low-level retail positions, trying to give out about 5-10 resumes a day. Two or three have said they'll call me back for an interview so far, but I'll believe it when it happens.

I have posted my situation on Facebook, but nothing in the way of offers so far. (A lot of symapthy, though.)

Yes, you have to have held down a job longer than I did to qualify for unemployment, and it would take too long to get through anyway. Finding an actual job might be quicker than waiting the 7-8 weeks for it.

I'll check out Randstad and JFK when I get a chance.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,808 times
Default don't give up....

there are plenty of jobs out there. u just need that connection.

try [URL="http://www.artc.org"]www.artc.org[/URL] or just go there at 22chapel street. by brooklyn. they always hiring.
or go to the covenant house by 42 th between 9avenue and 10ave. they have various positions
also try charosa foundation in queens by 228th lindent blv. they have a lots of positions. lastly, i will go to work force in the bronx, by fordham rd. and 188th.

good luck!!

Old 12-18-2012, 05:57 PM

402 posts, read 811,177 times
Yea, I would suggest waiting table's. I don't understand how so many people are working 7-10$ an hour jobs, when you can make double, triple, even more than that waiting table's...

Old 12-18-2012, 06:06 PM

33,992 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post
Here's the short version: I moved to Brooklyn a month ago to take a job fundraising for a political organization while working on building contacts and experience to eventually move into the arts.

But last night, they let me go for having one bad week. Due to things that came up (long story) I've had to drain my savings recently, so I need to get something as soon as possible. Preferably by Monday, because I typically pay my rent ($640/mo.) by the week.

After spending most of today scanning Craigslist, working on updating my resume, and staring dead-eyed at the walls, I'm taking any suggestions about how I can find any job that pays above minimum wage while I get back on my feet.
311 Online Hurricane Sandy Cleanup Jobs

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-28-2012, 08:38 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
I know of a 3-week temp job in January, all labor-- like demolition (so you would have to be in shape for that and be able to handle it) paying $12 per hour. No experience necessary. If you want the contact info, PM me and I will send it over to you.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:04 AM

2,603 posts, read 3,398,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
Yea, I would suggest waiting table's. I don't understand how so many people are working 7-10$ an hour jobs, when you can make double, triple, even more than that waiting table's...
That's what I suggested but someone shot it down saying that NYC is too service oriented and if you have no experience you shouldn't bother. That is a load of crap. Waiting tables does not require a masters degree. Also most places give you a week or 2 of training before you get your own section. Also restaurants aren't going to give you an entire section right away. I've waited tables for 7 years and I've worked in just about every type of restaurant. It's not as difficult as some people make it out to be.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Quote:
It's not as difficult as some people make it out to be.
It's just hard on the back...and feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City