Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:40 PM

25 posts, read 75,758 times

Advertisements

Hi CDF Family:

I am so very upset, NYCPHA sent me a listing for uptown manhatten and then Mariner's Harbor housing on Staten Island, I pleaded over the phone for hours that I wanted the lower East side to no a vale.

Is Mariner's Harbor OK now because that is the best thing on the form. I have NEVER EVER VISITED nor Lived in public housing before so I am scared very very scared but I have to down size because of rent here in Brooklyn is now 1200 a month for me a single parent with no boyfriend nor husband. Please give some positive feedback about my selection.

I also need to know the best Middle school for my child?
The zip code for the development is 10303.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 10:10 PM

71 posts, read 152,480 times
I have family living in Mariner's Harbor. Its on the northern part of the island. Its a ok neighborhood, mostly Black and Hispanic. Unfortunately, I don't think its one of the safer SI neighborhoods. Don't about the public schools however.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:36 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
It's not a convenient location.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarValBoi View Post
I have family living in Mariner's Harbor. Its on the northern part of the island. Its a ok neighborhood, mostly Black and Hispanic. Unfortunately, I don't think its one of the safer SI neighborhoods. Don't about the public schools however.
ok, thanks is there a certain corner I was given Poxbury st & Lockman ave are the Black and Hispanics ok that live there?

Old 12-18-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It's not a convenient location.
why help please why? I am so scared and lost on this one I have live in this apartment for over 12 years and now I have to move? I cant afford any-other type of accommodations at this time but Public Housing apartments.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:47 PM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
Where were the "uptown Manhattan" locations?

Old 12-18-2012, 05:57 PM

33,886 posts, read 47,070,732 times
It's on the lower end of the NYCHA spectrum in Staten Island. I don't think it's as bad as Stapleton, Richmond Terrace or West Brighton, probably just a slight notch above these. But at the end of the day, it's the projects. So you will see and hear stuff you're not normally accustomed to, and you better get some tough skin quick.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 12-18-2012 at 08:59 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 07:47 PM

387 posts, read 678,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LADYONE View Post
Hi CDF Family:

I am so very upset, NYCPHA sent me a listing for uptown manhatten and then Mariner's Harbor housing on Staten Island, I pleaded over the phone for hours that I wanted the lower East side to no a vale.

Is Mariner's Harbor OK now because that is the best thing on the form. I have NEVER EVER VISITED nor Lived in public housing before so I am scared very very scared but I have to down size because of rent here in Brooklyn is now 1200 a month for me a single parent with no boyfriend nor husband. Please give some positive feedback about my selection.

I also need to know the best Middle school for my child?
The zip code for the development is 10303.

Thanks.
Welcome to hell. Mariners harbor, as in much of that North shore corrider is pretty iffy & that's being nice. Any Staten Island public housing on the north shore tend to be war zone communities controled by the gangs & drug dealers. the NYOD pressence is very strong. There are cops just sitting on the corner as a deterent ready to respond to a 10-13 at any given moment.

The public schools system is basically a day care for the kids on that side of the Island, there are several charter schools in the area (shocker) Bus service is limited, there is no train service so you better have a car, but not a nice car because that will be jacked.

Public housing at it's finest. Good luck.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:52 PM

510 posts, read 1,440,777 times
How big of an apartment do you need? I know rents in Brooklyn are going up, but have you looked into other boroughs for non-NYCHA housing? I would think even living in a studio with your kids would beat living in the projects. Do a quick craigslist search for cheap apartments- I just did one and found a studio in Ozone Park, heat hot water and gas included for $875. Right near the A train. Contact NYCHA and the department for homeless services- there are programs that will cover your security deposit/first months rent to get you into a place. NYCHA should be a super last resort, especially a remotely located NYCHA project not near anything but gang/street life on Staten Island.

Edited to add- have you considered moving out of the city all together? You can get a decent one bedroom apartment on Long Island, a 1/2 hour trip into the city on the LIRR where your kid will benefit from getting a great education in one of Long Island's public school districts as well as having a yard to play in, etc. You can find that for under $1000 a month, usually with most utilities included. I grew up on Long Island just a quick trip into the city- it really is the best of both worlds for a kid.

Last edited by brooklyn1234; 12-18-2012 at 09:00 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 10:22 PM

11,597 posts, read 12,633,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
How big of an apartment do you need? I know rents in Brooklyn are going up, but have you looked into other boroughs for non-NYCHA housing? I would think even living in a studio with your kids would beat living in the projects. Do a quick craigslist search for cheap apartments- I just did one and found a studio in Ozone Park, heat hot water and gas included for $875. Right near the A train. Contact NYCHA and the department for homeless services- there are programs that will cover your security deposit/first months rent to get you into a place. NYCHA should be a super last resort, especially a remotely located NYCHA project not near anything but gang/street life on Staten Island.

Edited to add- have you considered moving out of the city all together? You can get a decent one bedroom apartment on Long Island, a 1/2 hour trip into the city on the LIRR where your kid will benefit from getting a great education in one of Long Island's public school districts as well as having a yard to play in, etc. You can find that for under $1000 a month, usually with most utilities included. I grew up on Long Island just a quick trip into the city- it really is the best of both worlds for a kid.
A legal one bedroom apartment with a yard for 1000 per month on Long Island? I don't think so. Not even in the sketchy areas and some of the school districts aren't all that great. Maybe, you can get an illegal basement apartment with an absentee landlord some place. Remember, the LIRR is not cheap and you have to be able to get to the LIRR station, which can mean bus or car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City