U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2007, 01:08 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,107,763 times

Advertisements

Circa who said Asians came from an impoverished oppressed environment? You are referring to the chinese..not Asians. Hispanics have been in this country far longer than any other group of people, except for Native Americans. Mexicans have been in this country since before it ever was a country!

If you are expecting anyone to thank you for your "kindness" in not calling people whatever negative, racist, ignorant names/beliefs that you and your friends use...it will be a long wait. It is sad and embarrasing that you would have friends with such hateful beliefs.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:52 PM

153 posts, read 404,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Circa who said Asians came from an impoverished oppressed environment? You are referring to the chinese..not Asians. Hispanics have been in this country far longer than any other group of people, except for Native Americans. Mexicans have been in this country since before it ever was a country!

If you are expecting anyone to thank you for your "kindness" in not calling people whatever negative, racist, ignorant names/beliefs that you and your friends use...it will be a long wait. It is sad and embarrasing that you would have friends with such hateful beliefs.
Dominican, Central Americans, Puerto Ricans ... These are the hispanics in the BX that we are talking about and have not been in the BX for a real long time. I hardly think my black friends are racists. Apparently the ones in the BX are the racists from my experience. I never told you my black friends beliefs but said it differs from yours and your so quick to make a determination that it is negatitive, ignorant.. I sugest you look outside of the box and have an open mind. Furthermore, When I was in the BX I knew many asian and they told me of their history in China, Vietnam hence they didnt come here with anything worthy.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:05 PM

Yes true they have been in the Bronx, in large numbers, for about 60 years. However they faced the same harsh violence, isolation, and segregation, muchof which the Asians did not face and did not have to face for any extended period of time.

I understand that you did not tell me your black friends' beliefs...but why then are you being "kind" by not telling me them? If they were positive there would be no reason for you to be "kind" and withhold them...by assumption is fair and reasonable then.

There were never that large of a number of Asians in the Bronx..there was a small community, and as a result, did not face the problems that the large influx of other immigrants face. The impact and subsequent reaction to the sudden influx of 1,000,000++ of unwanted, brown, uneducated, immigrants within a very short amount of time is very different than thousands over the course of many years.

There is no doubt there are dummies in the Bronx that same all kinds of stupid things...I hear it all on a daily basis...people are people whereever you go. Blacks can be just as ignorant and harsh as anyone else...so your friends can be just as bad as anyone else.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:09 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,138,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by circa62 View Post
Thatís nonsense. Asian came from an impoverished communist oppressed environment for 100s of years that many of which were stuck in sweatshops and rice fields who lacked an education. The Hispanics have not been in this country that long. Iím being very kind here and wonít express my ďpeople of colorĒ friendís opinions that have a very different opinion of the Bronx people then yours.
I will say this....the Black and Latino experience in this city is a very different experience. I would hope people look more into what that experience is before freely throwing around the bootstrap argument! And the opinion of one or a few 'person of color' friends are just a few opinions.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:22 PM

Agreed Scatman!

Old 12-03-2007, 03:55 PM

2,689 posts, read 2,850,102 times
Quote:
Circa the difference between the asians and those of color is simple. Asians do not have the history in this country of vicious hate, violence, segregation, and isolation the same way that people of color had generations upon generations, hundreds and hundreds of years of oppression. Asians came in...and quickly left..they had no tie to these communities, people, or experiences. They were a small group (compared to the other people of color) and were better equipped to assimilate to the dominant culture.

you really don't have a clue, go research the building of the railroads in the west, Chinese immigration post civil war and how the Chinese who were imported to to the labor were treated both by the railroads and then by the locals when the building ended. It makes anything done to blacks seem like a walk in the park.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:43 PM

235 posts, read 998,885 times
Quote:
The flood of heroin and crack into the city was not just one of those things. We did little to nothing to stop it because of our political interests with some of the countries involved. The 'war on drugs' was in part due to our own gov'ts negligence.
Elvira, if you think the gov't can stop drugs from coming into this country, you are very wrong! The amount of cargo that is shipped and flown into this country is SATGGERING. There is no possible way to search even 1% of it. Then, of course, are the thousands upon thousands of miles of coastline, people w/ private boats, private planes.

Even totalitarian gov'ts have to deal w/ contraband.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:01 PM

473 posts, read 1,512,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
you really don't have a clue, go research the building of the railroads in the west, Chinese immigration post civil war and how the Chinese who were imported to to the labor were treated both by the railroads and then by the locals when the building ended. It makes anything done to blacks seem like a walk in the park.
I wonder how many chinese people were lynched etc....... I am not saying as a group weren't subjected to demeaning treatment. wasn't bruce lee asked to wear a mask so people "didn't have to see that he was "asian""?

but trying to imply that that struggle somehow outweighs the blacks is quite laughable.

back to the bx!!!!!!!

Old 12-03-2007, 09:09 PM

841 posts, read 3,928,582 times
Quote:
There was nothing special about Asians, except that they had the family values, valued education, and had the will to work that had been erased from the people of color. People of color also had all these traits...but they were stripped of their humanity and essentially turned into animals....so although you stop treating someone like an animal..they don't magically regain everything they once had and become normal fucntioning people.
What the.. Why do you put the Asians down like that? "People of color" was a term coined by the Whites to describe minorities (Which include brown, yellow, and black). The Blacks in America were treated so poorly, but bad treatment DEFINITELY did not stop there. People around the ENTIRE GLOBE were put through unimaginable hardships. Sometimes people don't realize how big this world is.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:55 AM

2,689 posts, read 2,850,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
I wonder how many chinese people were lynched etc....... I am not saying as a group weren't subjected to demeaning treatment. wasn't bruce lee asked to wear a mask so people "didn't have to see that he was "asian""?

but trying to imply that that struggle somehow outweighs the blacks is quite laughable.

back to the bx!!!!!!!
then you too are quite ignorant of the history of the chinese in the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or