U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-08-2007, 10:24 AM

111 posts, read 252,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Yes the renewed interest in areas like Mott Haven can be detrimental to the very poor, however there are more than enough housing projects that they can live in, and protections to renters in this city are so vigorous, that they can oftentimes stay and benefit from the revitilzation of their communities by new people, new investments, increased safety, and new amenities.
OMG, the logic of Lindsey lives. The projects were built for the working poor, alas it's nigh impossible to stay in the projects if one works too well. I speak as someone who spent part of their childhood in public housing.

Quote:
The bottom line is that these communities NEED new people, new faces, new ideas, new investments, to continue to intergate the area, and although some may be displaced, in the end...the entire community is stronger and better for it. In the Bronx there is room for everyone.....and that's what we are seeing!
Perhaps but it's a bitter pill to swallow when we see the children of the very people who burned our neighborhoods for profit picking up the pieces. Mutha..................

Old 12-10-2007, 08:45 AM

2,978 posts, read 1,015,602 times
Ogden...agreed that originally the projects were for the working poor...to provide them with decent housing, indoor plumbing...ventilation, etc. However it BECAME a holding cell for all types of undesireables, the new permanently poor/indigent class, people of color, the mentally ill, drug addicts, etc. It BECAME the norm to live off the public dole and do nothing, including raising your kids, improving yourself, or becoming a part of society.

I am well aware of life in the projects...and what does and does not occur there. I understand that if youi work too well that your rent increases...but you are NOT thrown out once you are in there. It is the VERY extreme case that someone has a high enough income that they no longer qualify to live in the projects...so that assertion is not valid for 99.95% of the population.

The bitter pill to swallow is not that new people are coming in and making things better....and they are NOT the children of those that burned these communities although it may FEEL that way....the real bitter pill is why it took so long for anyone to come back?

Old 12-10-2007, 03:18 PM

111 posts, read 252,254 times
Quote:

and they are NOT the children of those that burned these communities although it may FEEL that way....the real bitter pill is why it took so long for anyone to come back?
you're splitting hairs my friend. they may not be the children of those who physically actually started the fires but a fair few of them are the children of those who redlined our neighborhoods after they were done subcontracting a wave of arson for hire btw 1965-1974 that was the greatest insurance fraud perpetuated in this country's history.

if you need any help in connecting the dots just read john finucane's "when the bronx burned".

Old 12-10-2007, 03:23 PM

I am well aware of the rampant arson that occured. There is also a different point of view....which is the view of Landlords who owned those buildings and were forced to abandon their buildings due to the tenants NOT paying rent...destroying apts...and the violence that ensued. What would it take for you to walk away from your investment? That should put into perspective the BS that these LLs had to put up with..the tenants and neighbroghoods became that bad.

But yes I understand that there are a few of those that are returning to the neighborhoods..we will never know who. And there are MANY of the deadbeats and criminals that are still occupying the same apts they were 40 years ago....only now they are finally paying a meager rent.....now THAT is a bitter pill to swallow.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:20 AM

977 posts, read 2,445,015 times
New energy at Mott Haven's hub

BY CLARE TRAPASSO
Sunday, December 9th 2007, 4:00 AM

It's one of the few shopping districts left in New York City where you can buy a bra or a pair of jeans for 10 bucks.

Brightly painted signs on the pawn and cell phone shops compete for the attention of shoppers where E. 149th St. meets with Willis, Melrose and Third Aves. to form the Hub district in Mott Haven. Shoppers breathe easier now that crime in the area has dropped. And the Hub, once a bustling shopping center that fell into disarray, is staging a comeback.

The district generates almost $170 million in sales a year, employing more than 900 workers in about 125 stores and shops. And with the Finance Department's Bronx Business Center moving to the area, businesses are expecting an increase in foot traffic.

Here are just a few of the stories from the people who work and shop there.

Read more....

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...avens_hub.html

Old 12-15-2007, 03:32 PM

492 posts, read 77,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, Robert Moses! Give it up for Robert Moses!
I take a good leak on his mosaic in Flushing Meadow Park every chance I get!!!

Joe L

Old 12-16-2007, 12:02 PM

Cyrus the new shooping center is pretty cool...I have been there a couple times...and it is just another step in the changes happening in the area. I am now a patron of the new Alexander's Cafe on Alexander Ave and Bruckner blvd...upscale dining...great food..and excellent desserts..outdoor seating too! Also the new Pio Pio (Cypress and 138st, Peruvian cuisine)...great place...Zagat rated.....good food...and the restuarant itself is very nice! More coming....

Old 12-16-2007, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,198 times
Default Gotta have hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
There's definitely tons of potential here. But the crime problems and the Bronx's bad reputation will probably ensure that nothing happens about that well into the future.
Well, we got to have hopes for the Bronx. Talking about bad rep, probably no place could beat Harlem. If Harlem could change, so does the Bronx. Plus, the funny thing is we say about the crimes, drugs, and bad rep of the Bronx, how about Brooklyn and Queens? There are also parts of those two boroughs that's worse off. So as long as we can develop some parts of the Bronx to start with, we should be in good hands. Riverdale has remained untouched. On the East side, by Einstein Medical College, there's a big population of middle class. A lot of Asian families. Co-op city. and like one of you said, the Bronx definitely has the geographic advantage too.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:47 PM

5,100 posts, read 11,839,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singing_along View Post
Well, we got to have hopes for the Bronx. Talking about bad rep, probably no place could beat Harlem. If Harlem could change, so does the Bronx.
Most of Harlem are still the same. It has not changed. A high crime ghetto. Anyways, Harlem is closer to downtown than the Bronx. Most of the low income housing are being built in the Bronx, the poor are moving there. Where are they going to next? IMO the Bronx is heading towards bad times.

Quote:
Plus, the funny thing is we say about the crimes, drugs, and bad rep of the Bronx, how about Brooklyn and Queens? There are also parts of those two boroughs that's worse off.
The difference is that a good portion of the Bronx is all slum. Brooklyn has it's neighborhoods, but it also has gentrified areas. Most of the crime in NYC comes from the Bronx. Queens shouldn't even be in the disscussion. It has only a couple of hot spots. The good majority of the borough is nice.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:24 PM

1,587 posts, read 161,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
New energy at Mott Haven's hub

BY CLARE TRAPASSO
Sunday, December 9th 2007, 4:00 AM

It's one of the few shopping districts left in New York City where you can buy a bra or a pair of jeans for 10 bucks.

Brightly painted signs on the pawn and cell phone shops compete for the attention of shoppers where E. 149th St. meets with Willis, Melrose and Third Aves. to form the Hub district in Mott Haven. Shoppers breathe easier now that crime in the area has dropped. And the Hub, once a bustling shopping center that fell into disarray, is staging a comeback.

The district generates almost $170 million in sales a year, employing more than 900 workers in about 125 stores and shops. And with the Finance Department's Bronx Business Center moving to the area, businesses are expecting an increase in foot traffic.

Here are just a few of the stories from the people who work and shop there.

Read more....

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...avens_hub.html
I work there now, just got a job there. Early days yet, but I have nothing but friendly interactions with people there. Affordable places to live and establish businesses abound.

I'm looking to move in...oh, the GREAT HOT JOY that fills my heart...goodBYE ROTTEN SNOTTY LONG ISLAND FOREVER!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City