U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 11:56 AM

10,292 posts, read 12,315,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian1776 View Post
How can you guys live like that?

I wake up and leave the house earlier than I need to every morning so that I don't have to rush. I find it amusing that so many folks walk at the speed of MACH-5 to get to where they need to quicker. I take my sweet time walking, grab a coffee, enjoy the scenery and have a merry day.

I think that's part of what the problem is today. Some folks can't relax and take life in. They are too busy running from one place to another.

Anyway, I got off on a rant. why do you think everyone chooses to rush instead of just leaving their home a little bit earlier each morning?
I agree with this post somewhat. Many of us have busy jobs, other responsibilities etc but I do agree some of us get so driven or have so little time we forget simple pleasures. Many people in large cities are very stressed but may not realize it, having conditioned themselves this way just from the pace of life.

Sometimes, Sitting in the park with a coffee and watching the sun go down, making a phone call to a friend we mostly text with etc can remind us of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 01:12 PM

8,110 posts, read 8,410,501 times
I'm not sure there's any logic to your question. Being in a "rush" has nothing to do with waking early or being merry. I sleep as late as possible, but regardless of what I'm doing, I walk briskly - and I imagine pretty much everyone who also grabs coffee does the same.

We walk fast because we have things to do. The added benefit is that this is one reason that New Yorkers tend to be slimmer and live longer.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:16 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,124,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I agree with this post somewhat. Many of us have busy jobs, other responsibilities etc but I do agree some of us get so driven or have so little time we forget simple pleasures. Many people in large cities are very stressed but may not realize it, having conditioned themselves this way just from the pace of life.

Sometimes, Sitting in the park with a coffee and watching the sun go down, making a phone call to a friend we mostly text with etc can remind us of this.
Those who are currently rushing on the sidewalk will be relaxing in the park when they have some free time. Those who are currently relaxing in the park will be rushing on the sidewalk when they have an appointment to get to.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:36 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,010,628 times
Because there's always
someone on your heels.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:10 PM

19,907 posts, read 26,159,906 times
Einstein had the explanation. The closer you get to the speed of light the slower time goes. Any New Yorker who can move at the speed of light will be seen to live forever.
One person got to 93% of the speed of light but then was trapped behind 6 tourists holding hands.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:18 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 48,146,563 times
I only notice things like this during 5pm in downtown philly and wondered the same thing. It's almost like everyone is running

Old 12-25-2012, 11:05 PM

516 posts, read 738,879 times
Things todo....people to do

Old 12-26-2012, 06:45 AM

134 posts, read 226,480 times
Maybe it's making up for lost time waiting on the MTA?

Old 12-26-2012, 06:02 PM

7,033 posts, read 7,540,688 times
nyc has a big walking culture.

me personally, i just walk a lot and very fast. there are countless times i've walked from midtown to lower east side...and i seem to like making every green street light going down

Old 12-26-2012, 08:06 PM

287 posts, read 483,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
nyc has a big walking culture.

me personally, i just walk a lot and very fast. there are countless times i've walked from midtown to lower east side...and i seem to like making every green street light going down
Iv done the same...preferably in the spring or fall.

I love walking. I can't remember last time I took a cab and if where i am going is within 20 blocks I will normally not even take the subway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or