Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 01:53 AM

2 posts, read 2,937 times

Advertisements

First of all, this is my first time on here and also my first post so hi...im jay =]

I am aware that the question i am about to ask has probably been discussed before and alot of you will probably be rolling your eyes. But here it goes..... I have visited new york before and fell in love with the city, so i have booked to visit again in december of 2013 with my beautiful girlfriend, she has no idea as far as shes aware im taking her to london for the weekend for christmas. So basically i am going to ask for her hand in marriage. I know thousands of people do this in new york all the time and people are probably bored of seeing this happen, but this girl is everything to me and new york is my favourite city on earth so it seems a perfect place to do it. But i want it to be magical and different. But i have no ideas what-so-ever on how to do this...i had two ideas.........1. To try and find out how to hire a board out for a few minutes in times square and do it there but of coarse i dont know who i would contact to do this and im guessing it would be really expensive if it is possible. 2. on the flight on the way over, kind of an idea of my best friend as she thinks it would be unusual but again i really want to do it in new york city itself. If anyone has any helpful ideas or can even help out with sorting out something magical. please do get in touch.....and thankyou and merry christmas guys!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 06:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Sounds ambitious, Jay...Congratulations.

I just hope she isn't disappointed with NYC instead of London.

Here are some places to call...but I'm sure the prices will be exorbitant:
Times Square Alliance : Digital Screens and Billboards

Old 12-25-2012, 09:31 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
My question for you is you want to be engaged so why are you waiting a whole year. Life moves quick and things can happen. My suggestion is don't wait that long.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:12 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
You used to be able to propose in Times Square at Priscilla on Broadway, but Annie is playing there now.

Billboard likely isn't going to be an option, and ultimately could be subjected to some technical errors.

I used to say Terrace in the Sky uptown was a great place for such an occasion but, alas, it's gone now.
December is a magical time in New York- there's a lot of opportunities to think about-

Horse drawn carriage ride, christmas show, ice cold picnic on the brooklyn promenade... don't think just all out expensive, romantic and capturing what you love about her and what you love about New York might push for the yes.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:23 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,117 times
Bow Bridge in Central Park is known as a site for proposals. It's very beautiful and a great spot to propose, and proposing there would be free. That's my recommendation.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:31 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
i have judged..and my judgement is not in your favor.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:41 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
How about Paris? Venice? Giza? My favorite would me Samarkand at the Registan.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:40 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
Where to propose would entirely depend on your budget.

I would just advise against the stereotypical proposal in a restaurant.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:00 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,382 times
I'm planning on doing the same on Thursday night at Strawberry Fields. Hopefully the weather cooperates and we are able to get there.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:42 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Where does your girlfriend rate in all of this? This surprise doesn't seem to be for her. YOUR favorite place, they way YOU want it. What does she want? Does she want something public like a billboard or is that also for you? I would have hated that. And if you got me all excited about a trip to England and took me to NYC instead I would spend the flight planning the rest of my life without you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City