Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 04:14 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,898,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

Does someone who's main life experience is the welfare/social services system even have the skills to find an apartment?

All these government programs due is create dependency.
No. I have worked in programs that intend to teach such things. They are limited in success.

However, not sure I agree with the second statement. This is one of the conservative mantras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 04:14 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,871,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Do you know people that live in the projects or just what you read on the internet?

If you did, then you would realize that many do work, in addition to many being unemployed.

You haven't a clue of how the other half lives, because you FEAR THEM. Until you tell me you've actually been INSIDE of a housing project and VISITED an apartment there, then you need to stop commenting on things you don't know about.
First of all Marilyn, I am from NY, and I have been inside of a housing project. And I do know crackheads on welfare who live in the projects, whether the program is Section 8 or Hasa. These people spent their entire lives making poor decisions, often influenced by drugs and other nonsense.

So why should I be so eager to support people from the projects, when the projects breed drugs, crime, an excess of teenage mothers, and other social ills?

Not everyone from NYC is in love with the social welfare system here. Nor is everyone who has been inside a housing project.

No, I don't fear people in projects at all. I see no reason to support them indefinitely. And by the way, you're in serious denial if you think what's happening in Georgia and other places isn't slowly happening in NYC. Cuts here, cuts here, a little more of a cut, and then boom, welfare is dramatically reduced AGAIN!

Old 12-26-2012, 04:19 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,000,432 times
Quote:
I do know poor people personally. Indeed, I know those who are stuck in Far Rockaway after hurricane sandy. A consequence of being poor and totally dependent upon the government is when a disaster strikes, you are totally at the mercy of Bloomberg.

Does someone who's main life experience is the welfare/social services system even have the skills to find an apartment?

All these government programs due is create dependency.
Yes and no, but I understand what you're trying to say.

Quote:
For the record, I'm black, and my grandparents purchased a house in the 30s and raised their children. In those days, there was no "welfare". Either you got it together and did it or you went all the way under.
Welfare has been here since Roosevelt signed the New Deal in the 30s. There was a "shame" and "stigma" attached to "going on the County" back then which is why many didn't, if they could help it.

Welfare is necessary now, especially in this economy.

I wonder where GA intends to place all of those displaced, hungry men, women and children when they're through "cleansing the rolls".

I have an idea, but I'll keep it to myself at this time.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
First of all Marilyn, I am from NY, and I have been inside of a housing project. And I do know crackheads on welfare who live in the projects, whether the program is Section 8 or Hasa. These people spent their entire lives making poor decisions, often influenced by drugs and other nonsense.

So why should I be so eager to support people from the projects, when the projects breed drugs, crime, an excess of teenage mothers, and other social ills?

Not everyone from NYC is in love with the social welfare system here. Nor is everyone who has been inside a housing project.

No, I don't fear people in projects at all. I see no reason to support them indefinitely. And by the way, you're in serious denial if you think what's happening in Georgia and other places isn't slowly happening in NYC. Cuts here, cuts here, a little more of a cut, and then boom, welfare is dramatically reduced AGAIN!
I'm not in "denial" about anything happening under BLOOMBERG'S NYC when it comes to the poor and disenfranchised. Please believe that. I don't live in a bubble here like some others.

And I'm black as well.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:14 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,370,601 times
Without the government, things
would go hay-wire out here.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:44 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,523,284 times
Now that the 2% is the new 1%, I say f the poor.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:59 PM

Seems to me like they want to drive people
further underground but they get to keep
the money at the same time smh.
They're just going to drive more people
crazy.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:09 PM

402 posts, read 809,200 times
Most poor people are poor because they are stupid, or make stupid decisions. The one's that are not stupid, should only be poor for a small amount of time (getting back on your feet). In life you get what you put in... I have no pity for stupid people, or those who make stupid decisions, especially those over 30. All Social programs need to be trimmed by atleast 60%. If cuts aren't made to the budget, the whole country and world economy is going to collapse. And it will be because of those slimy dirty welfare collecting leeches!

Old 12-26-2012, 08:24 PM

Meanwhile the rich are richer than ever.

you're not rich tho.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
Most poor people are poor because they are stupid, or make stupid decisions. The one's that are not stupid, should only be poor for a small amount of time (getting back on your feet). In life you get what you put in... I have no pity for stupid people, or those who make stupid decisions, especially those over 30. All Social programs need to be trimmed by atleast 60%. If cuts aren't made to the budget, the whole country and world economy is going to collapse. And it will be because of those slimy dirty welfare collecting leeches!
Oh look, Michael Bloomberg is a member of C&D.

Hey Mike! *waves*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City