Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 03:32 PM

17 posts, read 24,540 times

Advertisements

If people are going to buy, unless they are rich, they will have to buy where they can afford, not where it's trendy. They already KNOW what the area is, and have to think about their home as an investment. People like you always try and scare people off from living in "bad neighborhoods".
If one is renting ehhh, go live in Bath Beach to save money.
But if one is buying, you're so mistaken.
The smart one's buy In the area that's not on anyone's radar. White, Black, Asian. Doesn't matter.
And as for the transplants: We didn't grow up in those "bad neighborhoods", thus we are the most statistically unaffected by crimes that happen there.

This place is like no other city, so typical rules are non applicable.
In NYC, you buy the best house in best part of the "hood", closest to the train on the quitest street, within 45min to midtowd and then wait for it to appreciate. The cafes will come later, each one driving up the home vaue. This is how it's done NOW if you want to actually own a home and not go broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 11:49 PM

12 posts, read 16,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade_o View Post
If people are going to buy, unless they are rich, they will have to buy where they can afford, not where it's trendy. They already KNOW what the area is, and have to think about their home as an investment. People like you always try and scare people off from living in "bad neighborhoods".
If one is renting ehhh, go live in Bath Beach to save money.
But if one is buying, you're so mistaken.
The smart one's buy In the area that's not on anyone's radar. White, Black, Asian. Doesn't matter.
And as for the transplants: We didn't grow up in those "bad neighborhoods", thus we are the most statistically unaffected by crimes that happen there.

This place is like no other city, so typical rules are non applicable.
In NYC, you buy the best house in best part of the "hood", closest to the train on the quitest street, within 45min to midtowd and then wait for it to appreciate. The cafes will come later, each one driving up the home vaue. This is how it's done NOW if you want to actually own a home and not go broke.
You are so right! People should have learned their lesson now that the idea is to buy in an affordable area before it becomes unaffordable. I'm sure people had the same negative thoughts about Williamsburg and Bushwick at one point.

Also, some parts of East Flatbush I actually really like, like the area by Avenue D in the E30s and 40s.

I'm considering buying in The Bronx if it's still somewhat affordable once I have a career.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:23 PM

184 posts, read 235,088 times
White people wana live in "the hood" cuz they think its cheap and cool, but scared of the crime and high amounts of minorities, so they wait for the mystical gentrification process to kick in to "safen and diversify" the hood (it doesn't really diversify it, its just a transition, low income minorities leaving and middle class privileged hipster whites moving in).

To OP, yes Brownsville has about 15 Starbucks, 10 whole foods, streets filled yoga and coffee shops, Rockaway and Pitkin is beginning to look like the ultimate hipster shopping strip. They turned every single last one of the housing projects into high class co-ops and condominiums. Nothing but weird white folks with beards and dogs. All the African Americans, Puerto Ricans, and Jamaicans left to New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Georgia, and Florida. lmaooo you should go to the intersection of Mother Gaston and Sutter at 1 in the morning, wearing your most expensive hipster gear and make sure to look extra white that day, its a really happening place for you folks

Old 11-02-2016, 12:42 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,354 times
I seen a young white couple at 9pm walking on atlantic ave/eastern parkway.

I was driving down atlantic. I almost hit another car trying to make sure they just weren't white crackheads.

They weren't......

Old 11-02-2016, 05:54 PM

294 posts, read 263,214 times
[quote=cheyenne2134;46039343]I seen a young white couple at 9pm walking on atlantic ave/eastern parkway.

I was driving down atlantic. I almost hit another car trying to make sure they just weren't white crackheads.

They weren't......[/QUOTE

I've noticed while driving down Atlantic Ave that the "Hipster Front" stops at Utica. Advanced reconnaissance scouts have probably crossed the line into ENY, but most are waiting for reinforcements before the upcoming Hipster invasion commences on eastward.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:37 PM

33,996 posts, read 47,230,787 times
[quote=Sk8Str8;46042943]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post

I've noticed while driving down Atlantic Ave that the "Hipster Front" stops at Utica. Advanced reconnaissance scouts have probably crossed the line into ENY, but most are waiting for reinforcements before the upcoming Hipster invasion commences on eastward.
There are no reinforcements south of Atlantic Avenue, haha

That's the dividing line. No gentry in ENY proper as of yet. That won't happen until the re-zoning of Atlantic Avenue completely goes through and the avenue starts getting developed. Fulton Street will have the little bars and creperies first.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-02-2016, 09:14 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,195,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Str8 View Post
lol I'm ded... yo you funny as ****

Old 11-02-2016, 09:17 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,195,513 times
Public housing in Brownsville definitely acts as a fortress against gentrification and displacement, but I would get complacent. L&M recently purchased Marcus Garvey Village with goals of renovating the exteriors to try to drive up rent in the complex. They did the same thing with Ocean Village in Rockaway. It's up to Brownsville tenants to unite to make the neighborhood safe, and fight the landlords trying to raise rents and attract wealthier and whiter residents

Old 11-03-2016, 02:09 AM

12 posts, read 16,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
White people wana live in "the hood" cuz they think its cheap and cool, but scared of the crime and high amounts of minorities, so they wait for the mystical gentrification process to kick in to "safen and diversify" the hood (it doesn't really diversify it, its just a transition, low income minorities leaving and middle class privileged hipster whites moving in).

To OP, yes Brownsville has about 15 Starbucks, 10 whole foods, streets filled yoga and coffee shops, Rockaway and Pitkin is beginning to look like the ultimate hipster shopping strip. They turned every single last one of the housing projects into high class co-ops and condominiums. Nothing but weird white folks with beards and dogs. All the African Americans, Puerto Ricans, and Jamaicans left to New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Georgia, and Florida. lmaooo you should go to the intersection of Mother Gaston and Sutter at 1 in the morning, wearing your most expensive hipster gear and make sure to look extra white that day, its a really happening place for you folks
To be fair, I think the people with the condescending attitude against the hood are not really the hipster types. It's the people who want a "family neighborhood", which to them means white majority, not too much drunken debauchery, etc.

While I don't think gentrification is a bad thing necessarily and I don't agree with the anti-gentrification activists, I totally do not want the whole city to gentrify. Rents are high enough as it is, Eastern Brooklyn and The Bronx don't need to turn into Williamsburg.

I don't think Brownsville can really gentrify that much anyway, it seems like a sea of NYCHA.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:07 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,354 times
[quote=Sk8Str8;46042943]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post

Of course there is a larger amount on Utica but they are on Ralph Ave and rockaway avenue as well. Ocean hill area. They are infiltrating that area heavily now.

A cafe that has a location on franklin avenue, Daily Press is opening a location on rockaway avenue and Somers st.

So I'm not shocked when I see them down there but literally I wouldn't even be on the corner of Atlantic Ave and eastern parkway and they were walking Across the street down to Dean st aka Brownsville. Like someone said I don't go below Atlantic avenue once passed eastern parkway because that's literally Brownsville and not weeksville (extension of crown heights) or ocean hill (extension of bed stuy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City