Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 05:47 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
I was born and raised in the Bronx. What good areas are you talking about? There are so few it's not even worth visiting anymore.
Riverdale ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
I was born and raised in the Bronx. What good areas are you talking about? There are so few it's not even worth visiting anymore.

Pelham Bay and Throggs Neck have gone to hell. Sure there are some safe side streets, but that's about it.
[/i]"
Gone to hell? Have those areas really seen a significant increase in crime? I sure haven't heard of it.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
FACT: There are many good areas in the Bronx.
And yes, many people know about them.
I just checked on craigslist for apartment that take Section 8. The Bronx had a decent lead over Manhattan, Staten Island, Queens, and Brooklyn.

Do good areas typically have lots of Section 8 apartments? Is this a sign that an area is working class, or that it has a lot of poor people on welfare?

Don't get me wrong, I know that things are better than they were in the Bronx in the years 1970s-the early 90s. Immigrants moving to the Bronx, as well as people priced out of Manhattan, are improving the picture as landlords can get working tenants. But for you and SoBro to claim that the Bronx is just full of "good" neighborhoods is so silly.

Now, what's good is rather subjective, and you've the right to say what you think is good. Do you think a sign of a good neighborhood is lots of landlords advertising to Section 8 tenants?

Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Anyone who alleges Pelham Bay, Throggs Neck, Pelham Parkway, Country Club, Woodlawn, Parkchester, Morris Park, Pelham Gardens, Bedford Park, Riverdale, Spuytin Duyvil, Van Courtlandt, City Island, and I would throw in Van Nest, Arthur Ave, and Co-Op city have "gone too hell" should be immediately dismissed as irrelevant/ignorant/trolls.

Now back to our currently scheduled program: Rental discrimination. Yes it is alive and well, but I contend it is more about class than race, but you still have the fools who simply go by race...it takes less thought and effort.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Anyone who alleges Pelham Bay, Throggs Neck, Pelham Parkway, Country Club, Woodlawn, Parkchester, Morris Park, Pelham Gardens, Bedford Park, Riverdale, Spuytin Duyvil, Van Courtlandt, City Island, and I would throw in Van Nest, Arthur Ave, and Co-Op city have "gone too hell" should be immediately dismissed as irrelevant/ignorant/trolls.
Can only agree because we know people who live in those areas, and who would not live in areas that have "gone to hell."

Spuyten Duyvil is very nice - forgot. In some ways nicer than Riverdale.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Fieldston also is a nice Bronx neighborhood. Note that Fieldston and the ones mentioned by Harlem have always been good places to live for middle and upper income families long before the gentrification trends started taking place.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:10 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Fieldston is technically just a subsection of Riverdale though, so it is included.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:28 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
Any discrimination being done is more so class than race. The idea is to get a higher class, better behaved demographic to replace the former ghetto, welfare queen demographic...well at least in the Bronx that is. That's why I think the Bronx will gentrify.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:00 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Any discrimination being done is more so class than race. The idea is to get a higher class, better behaved demographic to replace the former ghetto, welfare queen demographic...well at least in the Bronx that is. That's why I think the Bronx will gentrify.
It may take people awhile to see this, but overall the Bronx won't flood and its on the mainland. Over the long term, that makes real estate in the Bronx much more desirable.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:44 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
I want to see a case when a White professional, White Ghetto/Trash person, Black professional, and Black Ghetto/Trash person all are sent to apply to these landlords and see if it's racism or classism. Of course other races could be used. The results would be interesting.
Idea of the month. Let me tell you, in the mid90s and later the Polish LLs of Williamsburg °should have° focused on renting to classy people; instead the Poles focused on color (white hipsters) and turned Williamsburg into the beer-saturated, campussy, pseudoartfart, litterbug "nabe" we see today. Silly Poles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City