Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 4,546 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have to relocate temporarily somewhere the Tri-state area. I have clients in this area and my company wants me to build existing relationships here and expand business. So mostly, I will be meeting existing clients which are spread over NY, NJ, CT and PA.

Before going further I want to tell you that I have been to US couple times and has mostly lives, traveled on the east side(VA,MD,PA). Whenever I have been here, I have stayed in hotels and have commuted with friends/colleagues. This time, I am going to be on my own and the problem is that I don't/can't drive. So, I need help in finding a place to live which will allow me to commute easily to clients in NY/NJ area. I will be renting and I am a very simple living guy so nothing fancy is needed. Point of utmost importance to me is that I should be able to utilize train/public transport to visit my clients.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Depending on your budget anywhere in NYC next to a subway stop might work for you. But if you need to commute to NJ, Manhattan would be the best if you can afford it.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:18 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Are your clients all on public transit lines?

Where in NY/NJ are they located, and are there more in one area than another? When you say NY, do you mean NYC or NY State?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:07 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Are your clients all on public transit lines?

Where in NY/NJ are they located, and are there more in one area than another? When you say NY, do you mean NYC or NY State?
and then the CT and PA issue is large as well. Where would you be having to go there? all over the state, or just amtrack it to Philidelphia and use Mass transit there type of thing?

Old 01-03-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
and then the CT and PA issue is large as well. Where would you be having to go there? all over the state, or just amtrack it to Philidelphia and use Mass transit there type of thing?
There are only two parts of PA that are reasonably accessible from NYC/NJ on mass transit. Philly (and not all of the greater Philly area) and Allentown and some of the greater Lehigh Valley area. Even then, it would require several transfers on two to three different systems and at minimum two hours. CT is similar.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:41 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There are only two parts of PA that are reasonably accessible from NYC/NJ on mass transit. Philly (and not all of the greater Philly area) and Allentown and some of the greater Lehigh Valley area. Even then, it would require several transfers on two to three different systems and at minimum two hours. CT is similar.
In short, the OP may need to get a car, especially when dealing with PA, much of NJ (not all of NJ is convenient to public transportation) and CT.

Public transportation away from subway lines is not like NYC transit, where the longest wait for a train is probably 20 minutes or so at night. You may have to wait for an hour or so depending on where you're going, plus there's the length of the trip, and throw in any additional time for transfers.

The OP should be able to get his employer to reimburse him for auto costs.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
In short, the OP may need to get a car, especially when dealing with PA, much of NJ (not all of NJ is convenient to public transportation) and CT.

Public transportation away from subway lines is not like NYC transit, where the longest wait for a train is probably 20 minutes or so at night. You may have to wait for an hour or so depending on where you're going, plus there's the length of the trip, and throw in any additional time for transfers.

The OP should be able to get his employer to reimburse him for auto costs.
That's kind of where I was going. If they end up needing a car, then NYC would be the worst place to live. They'd be better in NJ or Rockland/Orange/Westchester, again depending no where the densest customer base is located.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times
Realistically. You will likely need to get a car. Areas you are talking about are quite large. For example, NY state is bigger than South Korea...

Exception would be that all your clients live near by major transportation hub via rail or if your company is flying you out to wherever you need to go plus limo service.

If it is flying out then living not too far from airport like JFK, LGA in NY or EWR in NJ. If you can travel by rail and really don't need a car. Then NYC, specifically Manhattan would be easiest since you can get access to MTA, Path, NJ Transit, and other rails that connect you on Northeast corridor.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 4,546 times
Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

My client are actually spread out. For example, I have one in Cincinnati, another in East Hanover NJ and then another one in downtown NYC. I just have 3 in PA and they are all in downtown Philly area. I assumed that wait time and transfer will take a lot time other then the actual travel time. It is fine because typically in week I will not be meeting more than 2 to 3 clients. So, I think it might make sense to be in Manhattan and have multiple public transport options, as babo111 and Chava61 suggested.

So if I opt for Manhattan, can you please give me some estimate on renting a studio apartment in a safe locality? And by the way, my employer is paying for all expenses (Reasonable expenses they said

Thanks again!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:23 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnewtocity View Post
Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

My client are actually spread out. For example, I have one in Cincinnati, another in East Hanover NJ and then another one in downtown NYC. I just have 3 in PA and they are all in downtown Philly area. I assumed that wait time and transfer will take a lot time other then the actual travel time. It is fine because typically in week I will not be meeting more than 2 to 3 clients. So, I think it might make sense to be in Manhattan and have multiple public transport options, as babo111 and Chava61 suggested.

So if I opt for Manhattan, can you please give me some estimate on renting a studio apartment in a safe locality? And by the way, my employer is paying for all expenses (Reasonable expenses they said

Thanks again!
If they are paying for rent, then Manhattan is out the window because reasonable is nowhere to be found!!!

All jokes aside, there are also a few more questions that would deem appropriate for suggestions... as in age, income range(if your employer isn't paying for rent, or just some of it, etc this is especially important), and what you want out of your apartment. Do you want to be in the middle of an area with lots of stuff going on, or one that is pretty much quiet at night... stuff like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: