Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 12:56 PM

5 posts, read 48,856 times

Advertisements

I'm currently a college sophomore. I'm thinking of getting my bachelors in psych and the apply to the masters program for educational psychology. (Hunter College)

How tough is the competition to become an educational psychologist?

Is this degree in demand? What are the job prospects? Are these kinds of jobs secure? I live in NYC.

In terms of career objectives, I would like a career where I would be involved in program evaluation, institutional research, assessment and testing, and instruction and curriculum development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 02:27 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleicefish View Post
I'm currently a college sophomore. I'm thinking of getting my bachelors in psych and the apply to the masters program for educational psychology. (Hunter College)

How tough is the competition to become an educational psychologist?

Is this degree in demand? What are the job prospects? Are these kinds of jobs secure? I live in NYC.

In terms of career objectives, I would like a career where I would be involved in program evaluation, institutional research, assessment and testing, and instruction and curriculum development.
A Masters in Psychology, in New York and New Jersey, is the equivalent of a four-year-degree. You need to get a Ph.D, to get somewhere.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:30 PM

One of the most marketed degrees is a Masters in Public Health.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:37 PM

The MA educational psychology program in my school is offered by the School of Education. Would getting a PhD still be necessary to finding a career in this field?

I would like to try getting my PhD but it seems like a costly process.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:48 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
A Masters in Psychology, in New York and New Jersey, is the equivalent of a four-year-degree. You need to get a Ph.D, to get somewhere.
I agree with this poster. If you plan on making a career in psychology you need to focus on the Ph.D.

Maybe you should look into getting your masters in School Counseling or Social Work.

I would do an online jobs search through indeed.com or one of the other job websites and look at the education and experience requirements of the jobs that are posted. This is the best way to find out what employers are actually looking for.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
I agree with this poster. If you plan on making a career in psychology you need to focus on the Ph.D.

Maybe you should look into getting your masters in School Counseling or Social Work.

I would do an online jobs search through indeed.com or one of the other job websites and look at the education and experience requirements of the jobs that are posted. This is the best way to find out what employers are actually looking for.
A Masters in Social Work, would be a good idea because 90% of the counselling and therapy in NYC is done by them, and they are accepted in all the insurance programs, however, must follow the LCSW program, which stands for Licensed Certified Clinical Social Worker, which is the program that will license them in NYC, and must have continued education in the field, such as monthly educational conferences. And they are allowed to open up their own offices, but only at the LCSW level. Must have a complete clean record.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:03 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,148 times
I second the MSW. That would give you some freedom in that you could still work in a school but wouldn't be limited to that.

I have a Masters in Public Health- someone had suggested that above. There are a lot of job opportunities and it's a very diverse field, but a lot of it is non-profit work and pay is very low (but rewarding).

Old 01-05-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
I second the MSW. That would give you some freedom in that you could still work in a school but wouldn't be limited to that.

I have a Masters in Public Health- someone had suggested that above. There are a lot of job opportunities and it's a very diverse field, but a lot of it is non-profit work and pay is very low (but rewarding).

Federal gov't has many openings for Masters level social workers. Pay starts off in the mid 50's and there are several departments that offer student loan repayment.

www.usajobs.gov

Old 01-05-2013, 05:14 PM

I could consider getting my masters in social work. But there seems to be a lot of negative opinions about social workers, and people say it's not a very good job. Any reasons for this?

I have had an interest in school counseling because I would like to be a high school counselor. But I've read that there are limited openings for school counselors so it's very competitive and people were accepted because they had connections with the administrators or principals.

Last edited by littleicefish; 01-05-2013 at 06:15 PM..

Old 01-05-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleicefish View Post
I could consider getting my masters in social work. But there seems to be a lot of negative opinions about social workers, and people say it's not a very good job. Any reasons for this?

I have had an interest in school counseling because I would like to be a high school counselor. But I've read that there are limited openings for school counselors so it's very competitive and people were accepted because they had connections with the administrators or principals.
My mother and sister are social workers and absolutely love their work. Many opportunities to help others. A masters degree and license is a necessity in the field if you want to earn a decent salary. Best advice would probably come from someone in the field.

I say go with whatever makes you happy. But make sure you do the research before investing time and money into a graduate program.

Best of luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City