Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
You need to go for a Masters in accounting or MBA just to sit for the CPA. You can do it without a graduate degree by just taking accounting courses but you're not as valuable/marketable without it.

Also seating for the CPA is not the same as actually getting the license.
To get the CPA license you need at least 1yr of AUDITING experience. This is arguably the hardest part of the process since it's not so easy to get a job in external or internal auditing.
I'm aware but thank you. I'm actually doing a fast track CUNY program that takes care of all this.

For my immediate future the immediate concern is getting the additional accounting credits in order to qualify for many more civil service positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 11:41 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I'm aware but thank you. I'm actually doing a fast track CUNY program that takes care of all this.

For my immediate future the immediate concern is getting the additional accounting credits in order to qualify for many more civil service positions.
What program is that? and What's school is it offering it?

I'm sure the OP would be interested in finding out.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
What program is that? and What's school is it offering it?

I'm sure the OP would be interested in finding out.
Here,

BMCC Accounting | Announcement

I put my app in too late for the spring semester, so they let me defer it until the fall.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Here,

BMCC Accounting | Announcement

I put my app in too late for the spring semester, so they let me defer it until the fall.
Oh I see, it's a non-degree path.

Like I said, it's doable that way too, but it's not as marketable or valuable as a having a Master's.

If you're going to be taking basically as many courses as if you were to get a Masters, why not go for the degree instead?

Not sure, what kind of governmnet experience will fullfill the experience requirement. But If you are already conducting audits using GAAS, I assume you should be good to go, otherwise it's good to ask a school counselor about it.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Oh I see, it's a non-degree path.

Like I said, it's doable that way too, but it's not as marketable or valuable as a having a Master's.

If you're going to be taking basically as many courses as if you were to get a Masters, why not go for the degree instead?

Not sure, what kind of governmnet experience will fullfill the experience requirement. But If you are already conducting audits using GAAS, I assume you should be good to go, otherwise it's good to ask a school counselor about it.
You bring up a fair point. This particular program works well for my situation but is probably not the best for most. Like I mentioned before I'm more interested in getting the 6 courses I need (I have 6 accounting credits from my Bachelors) to get the 24 Accounting credits many state positions require. Many that are not accounting positions per se but still have that requirement. The CPA thing is like an added bonus for me. It was not my main preoccupation.

The Baruch Accounting MBA for instance is 69-72 credits. I'm not sure I want my MBA to be in Accounting. That would be a big investment on my part to do that. Down the line I really want to get into PM (project management) so i'm more interested in a broader MBA to complement that not necessarily in Accounting.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
You bring up a fair point. This particular program works well for my situation but is probably not the best for most. Like I mentioned before I'm more interested in getting the 6 courses I need (I have 6 accounting credits from my Bachelors) to get the 24 Accounting credits many state positions require. Many that are not accounting positions per se but still have that requirement. The CPA thing is like an added bonus for me. It was not my main preoccupation.

The Baruch Accounting MBA for instance is 69-72 credits. I'm not sure I want my MBA to be in Accounting. That would be a big investment on my part to do that. Down the line I really want to get into PM (project management) so i'm more interested in a broader MBA to complement that not necessarily in Accounting.
Understood.

PM is, indeed, very popular these days. I'm hoping too, that within the next 2-3 I'll be bumped up to that job title. I still need more experience under my belt handling large, time-sensitivity projects.

We'll see happens.

Anyways good luck, education -for the most part- is always beneficial.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:32 PM

478 posts, read 1,229,530 times
I'd say you will never regret an accounting degree. It can lead to a lot of different things including some very lucrative finance jobs provided you put the time in. Try to get on a due dilligence team that looks at larger middle market companies.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:24 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,413 times
Stay away from accounting, it's disgusting and if you have 2 brain cells accounting is not for you.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:12 PM

102 posts, read 190,686 times
Finance people make way more money than accounting. If you get a job in wall street you will be set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: